Danny G

4 hours ago, kowenicki said:

It amazes me you think Gardner is better. Opinions.   He won’t be in league 1. He was poor in league 1 for us. He has spent 4 seasons in league 1, got booked for fun (latterly), struggles to find the net (really struggles!!) and got relegated twice.  Either he isn’t that good or he’s jinxed. 

So Maouche is better-a player spent first 2 seasons in the reserves-not picked by 3 different managers in league 1 and 2-compares well with Gardner then doesn't he? Now catching side only because Gardner has been injured. Be honest what does he actually DO? Not a defensive midfielder-not an attacking midfielder-hopeless in the air(can you ever remember him heading a ball)-plays central midfield-can you think of a pass that he would be proud of? Fades badly in last 20 mins of game -this has improved  latelyTBH He has scored the occasional goal but remember we are playing in Lge 2 now. 

At best a bang average midfield player- Either he isn’t that good or he’s jinxed. Easily replaced-he is one of Als signings isn't he? Hence why he is still here.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

So Maouche is better-a player spent first 2 seasons in the reserves-not picked by 3 different managers in league 1 and 2-compares well with Gardner then doesn't he? Now catching side only because Gardner has been injured. Be honest what does he actually DO? Not a defensive midfielder-not an attacking midfielder-hopeless in the air(can you ever remember him heading a ball)-plays central midfield-can you think of a pass that he would be proud of? Fades badly in last 20 mins of game -this has improved  latelyTBH He has scored the occasional goal but remember we are playing in Lge 2 now. 

At best a bang average midfield player- Either he isn’t that good or he’s jinxed. Easily replaced-he is one of Als signings isn't he? Hence why he is still here.

Spent 2 years in the reserves??  He signed for us on Sept 17.  Played a handful of games in his first season and has been ever present this season (his second).  He also 26, Gardner is 28 and only had about 130 league appearances to his name. 

Like I said. Opinions. We don’t agree. We don’t have to. 

Edited by kowenicki
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

The players voted him their player of the season last year you must have something about you if your fellow professionals rate you highly.

He's a funny one for me at times he will do something really good then he will follow it up by over complicating something and making a string of bad passes. 

Maouche is a half decent player but I think we need a better first choice starter if we are to go up. He had rings ran round him at Bury the other week. But Id keep him here if he is on reasonable terms because he can do a job for us as a back up Centre mid and Number 10

Reasonable assessment. That Player of the season award is mind boggling. 

1 goal, 14 yellow cards according to soccerbase.  

Previous season with Chesterfield (also relegated) 2 goals, 4 yellows and a red, 

2 seasons, 3 goals. 

24 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Spent 2 years in the reserves??  He signed for us on Sept 17.  Played a handful of games in his first season and has been ever present this season (his second).  He also 26, Gardner is 28 and only had about 130 league appearances to his name. 

Like I said. Opinions. We don’t agree. We don’t have to. 

Ever present despite starting less games than Gardner who's been injured since November?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Reasonable assessment. That Player of the season award is mind boggling. 

1 goal, 14 yellow cards according to soccerbase.  

Previous season with Chesterfield (also relegated) 2 goals, 4 yellows and a red, 

2 seasons, 3 goals. 

Maouche won't get many yellow cards because he rarely puts a tackle in. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Maouche won't get many yellow cards because he rarely puts a tackle in. 

Ha. If only the stats backed you up there. Might want to check them, oops.   He puts his foot in plenty. On Saturday he was the one in midfield repeatedly getting into them, blocking them etc. 

28 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Ever present despite starting less games than Gardner who's been injured since November?

Eh? What are you on about? 

2018/19 season i.e. “ever present this season”

Maouche: 30 (with a red card limiting appearances)

Gardner: 25

Edited by kowenicki

Just now, yarddog73 said:

Will call this one now and say Gardner will end up signing for either non league Salford City or non league Chesterfield.

Nailed on. He simply isn’t good enough and his injury will I’m afraid make him a tad worse. He’ll be 29 and coming back from almost a year out from a serious injury that will take some getting over. 

6 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Eh? What are you on about? 

2018/19 season i.e. “ever present this season”

Maouche: 30 (with a red card limiting appearances)

Gardner: 25

Starting games Gardner 23, Maouche 21.

Maouche may have played in more games but he hasn't started as many as Gardner yet. 

PS. Edmundson has started 44 games. That's the number you need to be ever present. 

Both are frustrating players who have their relative strengths and weakness'.

Both can do a job as decent squad players next season, but we need better if we are to challenge next season for a top 3 spot.

I think can Scholes see this, and will find an alternative first choice centre midfielder to compliment Missi before next season starts. 

Coke and Sylla are both bang average at best and can go, as they offer less than Gardner and Maouche

Lets hope the squad in the main is vastly changed by August and Scholes can give it a good go.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rudemedic said:

Starting games Gardner 23, Maouche 21.

Maouche may have played in more games but he hasn't started as many as Gardner yet. 

PS. Edmundson has started 44 games. That's the number you need to be ever present. 

Splitting hairs now aren’t we. 

Maouche has featured in 23 league 2 games and Gardner has featured in 18.  Gardner was undoubtedly first choice previously. I doubt he would be now. I’ll give you ever present, but in my defence I was responding to a bloke who stated Maouche he’d been in the Latics reserves for two seasons and hardly played this season, just “catching” due to others injuries. That’s just bollocks. 

15 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Nailed on. He simply isn’t good enough and his injury will I’m afraid make him a tad worse. He’ll be 29 and coming back from almost a year out from a serious injury that will take some getting over. 

Steve Austin. 

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

Splitting hairs now aren’t we. 

Maouche has featured in 23 league 2 games and Gardner has featured in 18.  Gardner was undoubtedly first choice previously. I doubt he would be now. I’ll give you ever present, but in my defence I was responding to a bloke who stated Maouche he’d been in the Latics reserves for two seasons and hardly played this season, just “catching” due to others injuries. That’s just bollocks. 

Splitting hairs but correcting your incorrect statement, twice. I (deliberately) said started,  I was right, but according to you that’s splitting hairs. 

Gardner has started 20 league games, again there I go with splitting hairs, aka, correcting you.

You said Maouche is ever present this season, no.

Given Gardner started (almost) every game this season until he got injured Maouche starting games due to someone getting injured is correct. However, Maouche has made the most of his opportunity and now would arguably be first choice ahead of Gardner, so in many ways you are both right and wrong. Or am I splitting hairs again? 😉

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Splitting hairs but correcting your incorrect statement, twice. I (deliberately) said started,  I was right, but according to you that’s splitting hairs. 

Gardner has started 20 league games, again there I go with splitting hairs, aka, correcting you.

You said Maouche is ever present this season, no.

Given Gardner started (almost) every game this season until he got injured Maouche starting games due to someone getting injured is correct. However, Maouche has made the most of his opportunity and now would arguably be first choice ahead of Gardner, so in many ways you are both right and wrong. Or am I splitting hairs again? 😉

I am right and wrong. 

I did concede that in my last post to be fair

The one person who is 100% wrong is the poster saying Maouche spent two years in our reserves. 

3 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Bit of a daft argument really. Firstly, we don't have reserves so, unless someone gets a serious injury, how does a squad player get an opportunity and for most of last season Byrne, Gardner, Nepo & Fane was the first choice midfield lineup. Secondly, Gardner in the matches I saw him in earlier this season was painful to watch insofar that he was shockingly wasteful when bringing the ball out of defence.....Mansfield away was a particular example where not only did he give the ball away cheaply on so many occasions but not even close to a team-mate something you can't level at Maouche who is very good at holding the ball and nearly always finds a team-mate.

Maouche every time for me.

Edited by mikejh45
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Didn't he do his ankle against Lincoln 

I didn't think he was on the end of a stone cold stunner?

:laught30: made me chuckle

Throw in a couple of cans of 'steveweiser' for good measure.