Danny G

Both good players. Maouche has an option so it's probably nailed on he'll be here next year. I think he's definitely a better passer of the ball than Gardner but he does have a tendancy to go missing during some games whilst Gardner looked like he was doing 2 roles in one at the start of the season when Missilou appeared out of his depth and he started to chip in with a few goals.

With our options in midfield 'plenty' to say the least, would it be financially viable to offer Gardner another year? I don't think so.

2 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

With our options in midfield 'plenty' to say the least, would it be financially viable to offer Gardner another year? I don't think so.

Got me thinking this 🤔 

If we assume that Branger, Nepomuceno, Dearnley are not midfielders and that Fane has gone that leaves us with...

Maouche, Baxter, Missilou who are current first choice. Coke, Sylla who are benchwarmers. Robinson, Sheridan, Uche, Williams who are yoof. Gardner who is injured.

I guess it depends on your definition of ‘plenty’ when it comes to our midfield options 😀

9 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Got me thinking this 🤔 

If we assume that Branger, Nepomuceno, Dearnley are not midfielders and that Fane has gone that leaves us with...

Maouche, Baxter, Missilou who are current first choice. Coke, Sylla who are benchwarmers. Robinson, Sheridan, Uche, Williams who are yoof. Gardner who is injured.

I guess it depends on your definition of ‘plenty’ when it comes to our midfield options 😀

I'd be interested to see how Sylla comes along. Every #frenchlad that has come here has needed plenty of time to get up to speed. 

We should be building the team around Baxter ideally.

Edited by Kusunga_Is_God

13 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

I'd be interested to see how Sylla comes along. Every #frenchlad that has come here has needed plenty of time to get up to speed. 

We should be building the team around Baxter ideally.

Seems to me that’s exactly what Scholes intends.  To be fair to him, Baxter seems to have responded and risen to it, as he was poor earlier in the season.  

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Got me thinking this 🤔 

Bit of a strange idea came into my head...……..really not worth thinking about...…..but how about Scholes having an idea of his squad for next season and getting rid of those who are not under contract i.e. Fane and Gardner and possibly bringing in his players of choice for the midfield.

41 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

Bit of a strange idea came into my head...……..really not worth thinking about...…..but how about Scholes having an idea of his squad for next season and getting rid of those who are not under contract i.e. Fane and Gardner and possibly bringing in his players of choice for the midfield.

I see Gardner as a player Scholes will like (could be wrong, mind). 

I see Fane as a player Scholes won't rate (could be wrong mind). 

As Gardner is definitely out for the season, I can see us offering him a short-term contract with an extension at our discretion. Gardner may well not take it though. 

I would expect Fane to be able to return at some point this season. However I don't think it was ever officially made clear the extent of his injury. I can't see us extending his contract again. (I did say that in May, so I've been wrong about him before). 

54 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

I see Gardner as a player Scholes will like (could be wrong, mind). 

I see Fane as a player Scholes won't rate (could be wrong mind). 

As Gardner is definitely out for the season, I can see us offering him a short-term contract with an extension at our discretion. Gardner may well not take it though. 

I would expect Fane to be able to return at some point this season. However I don't think it was ever officially made clear the extent of his injury. I can't see us extending his contract again. (I did say that in May, so I've been wrong about him before). 

Looking at his Insta, he looks very close to fitness to me. 

Yep, Gardner got completely undue stick at times. Whilst he’s no world beater and he does have a habit of making over-complicating things, he’s a decent enough player at this level and as has been noted earlier on, he was often left doing the job of two.

I think he can be a decent asset at this level and would be interested to see him under Scholes. That said, I wouldn’t be rushing to give him a long term deal especially if he was wanting out before he got injured. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sjk2008 said:

I'd like to see Gardner given another year and see how he plays under Scholes personally.

To replace who though? He's not as lively tackling as Missilou. He can't pass or hold the ball as good as  Maouche and he can't replace Baxter or the wingers. Not forgetting his age and getting over a serious injury. 

Putting a fully-fit Gardner into the starting 11 ahead of the 3 mentioned would weaken the team. Also how much coaching would a 29 year old need to change his mindset and would he want that......I can see him going back to non-league.

I would prefer us to try and get Lyden who is out of contract this season......young, hungry and well liked here.

• Like 3

Just now, mikejh45 said:

But many on here would risk giving Gardner a contract after a far more serious injury with no certainty he will be fully over it.

Lyden's track record suggests general physical frailty rather than just having been injured

37 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Lyden's track record suggests general physical frailty rather than just having been injured

Based on my thorough knowledge of medicine which does not extend past aspirins, plasters and antiseptic cream, I would say that an almost-fit Lyden would be more of a benefit to the club than a fully-fit Gardner.

• Like 2

Fane is not worth the hassle and isn’t worth keeping enough for scholes to lock horns with the owner on and create their working relationship. 

He has been totally frozen out. Not around the team at all and trains early in the morning then later afternoon/evening when the squad aren’t around and he doesn’t attend matches. He’s finished at Oldham. 

7 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Both good players. Maouche has an option so it's probably nailed on he'll be here next year. I think he's definitely a better passer of the ball than Gardner but he does have a tendancy to go missing during some games whilst Gardner looked like he was doing 2 roles in one at the start of the season when Missilou appeared out of his depth and he started to chip in with a few goals.

Spoke to Maouche and Bragner last week, they both didn’t seem sure whether them two, Misslou and Nep would be here next year. Seemed like they where off more than anything. 

48 minutes ago, super_blue said:

Fane is not worth the hassle and isn’t worth keeping enough for scholes to lock horns with the owner on and create their working relationship. 

He has been totally frozen out. Not around the team at all and trains early in the morning then later afternoon/evening when the squad aren’t around and he doesn’t attend matches*. He’s finished at Oldham. 

*Apart from the game against Crewe 2 weeks ago

9 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Spoke to Maouche and Bragner last week, they both didn’t seem sure whether them two, Misslou and Nep would be here next year. Seemed like they where off more than anything. 

Great news if true. Let Scholes pick his own team and let's judge him on that, let's face it since AL and his sidekick have been heading recruitment we've found ourselves as a mid table League 2 side in no time with some fans even clapping them off after a 1-1 draw at home to Stevenage fucking Borough. 

Honestly wouldn't be arsed if we lost any of our own other than Clarke, Edmondson, Hamer and Baxter.

I'd love us to keep Iverson, Dearnley and Lang but appreciate the chance of that may be slim but other than that they can all go for me.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Great news if true. Let Scholes pick his own team and let's judge him on that, let's face it since AL and his sidekick have been heading recruitment we've found ourselves as a mid table League 2 side in no time with some fans even clapping them off after a 1-1 draw at home to Stevenage fucking Borough. 

Honestly wouldn't be arsed if we lost any of our own other than Clarke, Edmondson, Hamer and Baxter.

I'd love us to keep Iverson, Dearnley and Lang but appreciate the chance of that may be slim but other than that they can all go for me.

Yeah I agree. 

Not saying it is the case, but when I mentioned Maouche had an option he just swerved the comment and said we are all out of contract end of season. We will see what happens. 

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

This is just bollox...….you make it sound like we've had dream teams before AL came over and the Stevenage result/failure to win was all down to the French lads. I take it you were by the tunnel and stopped clapping when the French lads went through and started again when the remainder of the team climbed the steps.

As for the 3 loanees, in my opinion, Lang is the only one worth hanging on to. Iverson has parts of his game that he doesn't appear to be able to sort out and Dearnley seems to caught in a trap....is he a winger or a centre forward or a bit of both....whichever way, he's not stood out in either role.

So will you be supporting Scholes if the French lads are here next season because he wants them or will you trot out the excuse that AL is interfering?