Tranmere (A)

1 hour ago, Dick_Valentine said:

Why is that, have I missed something?

It all started during the Chris Moore era when we were splashing the cash and Clint Hill signed for us as Latics offered a bigger wage. The Birkenhead Bin Dippers took exception to that especially with our fans coming across like Harry Enfield’s “Loadsamoney” character.  Ended well that one didn’t it?

In those days, there was a lot of chatter on “Rivals” (JK Latics and the equivalent Tranmere  message board) and it spread from that.  Ronnie and his boy came later.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

It all started during the Chris Moore era when we were splashing the cash and Clint Hill signed for us as Latics offered a bigger wage. The Birkenhead Bin Dippers took exception to that especially with our fans coming across like Harry Enfield’s “Loadsamoney” character.  Ended well that one didn’t it?

In those days, there was a lot of chatter on “Rivals” (JK Latics and the equivalent Tranmere  message board) and it spread from that.  Ronnie and his boy came later.

Fair enough, cheers. Yeah all that passed me by. 

8 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Frankie Dull effect in full force. Will struggle to take more than 1200. 

Took 800 to FGR. Some decline from August that... 

Negative football isn't the way, Frankie. 

We've scored 5 in the last 2 games

I do think on our day we can beat anyone in this league. Not impossible to go and win 2-1 at Tranmere and then beat Lincoln at home Tuesday. It wouldn't surprise me to see us take 1 point from 6. 

The addition of Lyden has been a big positive and now SS is back. Iversen is good enough, the defence seems settled, Lang's only getting better and better. I'm hoping we can kick onto a little run.

Frank’s first 18 league games:

W:6 D:6 L:6 F:24 A:19 GD:5 PTS:24

Wellens’ first 18 league games:

W:6 D:6 L:6 F:27 A:26 GD:1 PTS:24

Strangely these are almost identical. One is lauded as playing amazing attacking football in the early days of their tenure whilst the other has tiresome ‘Dull’ puns made at their expense and is accused of playing for the 0-0 every week. 

I know we’re in a different division with lower quality opposition (imo this is negated by the fact that our squad is also relatively much poorer) but I can’t help but feel that criticisms of Frank are very harsh, especially considering that our main goal threat has had such a torrid time with injuries.

In Bunn we trust 💙

Edited by Ryan

I've been very critical of Bunn, but it also doesn't take Einstein to notice that since COG has been dropped, we look much more threatening.  Think we must be averaging 15 shots a game since COG was dropped (20+ against County wasn't it)?

2 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

I've been very critical of Bunn, but it also doesn't take Einstein to notice that since COG has been dropped, we look much more threatening.  Think we must be averaging 15 shots a game since COG was dropped (20+ against County wasn't it)?

89 in the 5 games he's not started which averages out at just shy of 18 shots a game.

We had 3 in the first half at Northampton before he was subbed and a total of 58 in the five games previous so that works out at around 11 shots a game in those five and a half matches.

8 hours ago, Ryan said:

Frank’s first 18 league games:

W:6 D:6 L:6 F:24 A:19 GD:5 PTS:24

Wellens’ first 18 league games:

W:6 D:6 L:6 F:27 A:26 GD:1 PTS:24

Strangely these are almost identical. One is lauded as playing amazing attacking football in the early days of their tenure whilst the other has tiresome ‘Dull’ puns made at their expense and is accused of playing for the 0-0 every week. 

I know we’re in a different decision with lower quality opposition (imo this is negated by the fact that our squad is also relatively much poorer) but I can’t help but feel that criticisms of Frank are very harsh, especially considering that our main goal threat has had such a torrid time with injuries.

In Bunn we trust 💙

I think it was more the fact that Wellens' first 8 league games included some of the best football we had played in ages. With the various Cup games people might not realise that the wheels started coming off after Wellens' 13th league game. (His 14th league game was the 4-1 battering  by near bottom Plymouth). 

Plus Bunn playing for a 0-0 at Forest Green and Mansfield amongst others skews the memories slightly. 

Since Rhodes' departure we have been noticeably more attacking. But that could just be coincidence. 

Id say this if we are going to call a team a rival then Tranmere would probably be the closest we have.

Their is abit of history between us going back to the mid 90's when Tranmere for a few years had the indian sign over us, infact during the 95-96 season our record against them was played 4 lost 4.

When they came back down into league 1 in the early 2000's it began to simmer again and when Ronnie Moore took over in 2006 it cranked up a notch. That victory in Feb 2007 felt terrific. That defeat in March 09 when Royle returned hurt.

To have a rivalry you have to have abit of history between you and they have to have abit of needle. We lacked a history against Rochdale so while geographically its our closest rival its lacked abit of edge, it was only starting to crank up as we left league 1.

I sense we have abit of disliking for each other. Its not Rangers Celtic granted but we can't have proper rivalries with the likes of Bolton, Blackburn, Burnley, City or United if we are not playing them regularly. They just forget we exist.

They have abit in common with us too they probably believe their natrual level is top end league 1 even lower championship. Like us they are in the shadow of bigger city clubs so suffer the same struggles for support, and they also have a history of famous cup upsets.

A shame we are not around the top 7 as we'd look at taking 2000 and filling that end of the ground but as rivalries go in this league I would describe Tranmere as the team Id want to beat most. They have been taking some decent away following too this season so hopefully by the time we come to play each other at Boundary Park we are both challenging for promotion and we get a big crowd in.

Edited by GlossopLatic

15 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

Our only rivals of the last 20 years. At least there's a club who dislike us... Even Bury and Rochdale hate each other and just see us an irritating club with delusions or grandeur. 

Our only rivals of the last 20 years? Nah. 

Bury, who I want to beat more than Tranmere this season.

Then there's Rochdale, Plastics, Bastards, Burnley, Notlob, Huddersfield, Citeh, Stockport, Bradford and Leeds. Plus you can probably add Blackpool and Doncaster in there too. Scunny aren't far off either. 

Tranmere might be the rival we've played most in the last 25 years but they aren't our only rival. 

I'd agree they might be the side that hates us the most, but that's only because we're not in the same league as Huddersfield and Rochdale. If Bury and us remain in separate leagues from Rochdale for prolonged periods that hatred might shift too. 

18 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Then there's Rochdale, Plastics, Bastards, Burnley, Notlob, Huddersfield, Citeh, Stockport, Bradford and Leeds. Plus you can probably add Blackpool and Doncaster in there too. Scunny aren't far off either. 

Tranmere might be the rival we've played most in the last 25 years but they aren't our only rival. 

I'd agree they might be the side that hates us the most, but that's only because we're not in the same league as Huddersfield and Rochdale. If Bury and us remain in separate leagues from Rochdale for prolonged periods that hatred might shift too. 

Sorry to break it to you but half of them are not rivals from the last 20 years. Only Huddersfield and they’ve past us and now lie 3 leagues higher... we only played Stockport a few times along with the others once or twice. 

So yes... Tranmere probably is our biggest rival of the last 20 years.

We’ve played donny, Blackpool and scunny a lot but there’s no rivalry there. If you’re going with that then add Walsall and Crewe to the list. 

22 minutes ago, oldhamoafc said:

Sorry to break it to you but half of them are not rivals from the last 20 years. Only Huddersfield and they’ve past us and now lie 3 leagues higher... we only played Stockport a few times along with the others once or twice. 

So yes... Tranmere probably is our biggest rival of the last 20 years.

We’ve played donny, Blackpool and scunny a lot but there’s no rivalry there. If you’re going with that then add Walsall and Crewe to the list. 

We’ve beaten City twice in the last 20 years. They will always be our rival. As will Rochdale, Bury, Huddersfield and Stockport. It’s simple geography. 

The likes of Bolton, Blackburn, Burnley, Bradford and Wigan are geography plus frequency of playing each other, with a bit of history thrown in. Bar Burnley, we’ve played the rest more frequently in the past 4 years than Tranmere. 

Blackpool and Doncaster were more because of the important nature of some of the many games we’ve played against each other, along with them not being that far away, the same for Scunny.

I didn’t say Tranmere weren’t our rival, nor did I say they aren’t our biggest rival over the last 20 years. I said they weren’t our ONLY rival over the last 20 years. I can see our rivalry being renewed with Tranmere, but they still wouldn’t be our ONLY rival.

Depends when you started to watch us, when I started out in the 80's Blackburn was always a big game but Blackburns main rivals are Burnley, around that time the City and Leeds games always had a bit of needle as did games like Sheffield Wednesday and Bradford, we don't really have a rival as such and our local derby now will probably be Bury seeing as Dale and Accrington :petesake: are operating at an higher level, Tranmere are very similar to ourselves being overshadowed by two huge clubs but personally I've never seen them as anything other than an easyish away game to get too.

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

I think there has to be a mutual dislike in order for it to be considered a rivalry. As much as I dislike some of the clubs mentioned (hate a couple), they don't give a fuck about us. As for Scunthorpe and Doncaster, there's nothing there either way is there?

There was genuine needle with Tranmere. We should embrace it. The whole Ronnie and Ian Moore thing made it even more interesting. 

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Update from OAFC Ticket Office:

’We have been told by Tranmere that the game will only be Pay on the Day if we sell less than 1000 tickets. We are currently on 966 with 3 days to go! Make sure you buy your ticket on Friday before 3PM if you are waiting till pay day!’ 

That's bloody ludicrous. 

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Update from OAFC Ticket Office:

’We have been told by Tranmere that the game will only be Pay on the Day if we sell less than 1000 tickets. We are currently on 966 with 3 days to go! Make sure you buy your ticket on Friday before 3PM if you are waiting till pay day!’ 

That's ridiculous. I got a ticket on Saturday as was passing ticket office and was cheaper but they had previously advertised it as POTD but just cheaper in advance.