Tranmere (A)

14 hours ago, fleetwood Blue said:

Im sure i can remember a friday night game vs plymouth but that was years ago

Was that 5-3?

7 minutes ago, stevesidg said:

When I first started going in the late 60’s we used to kick off at 3.15, never sure why that was.

think we played a few Friday night games , to try to attract more fans, but Stockport did for many years in the 70’s and 80’s 

I thiught I could recall someone telling me we’d tried, before my time. I’d always assumed it was another Ken Bates idea?

14 minutes ago, stevesidg said:

When I first started going in the late 60’s we used to kick off at 3.15, never sure why that was.

think we played a few Friday night games , to try to attract more fans, but Stockport did for many years in the 70’s and 80’s 

3-15 was because it tied in with shift patterns in nearby mills giving the workers time to get there. 

16 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Was that 5-3?

15 hours ago, fleetwood Blue said:

Im sure i can remember a friday night game vs plymouth but that was years ago

Yep, it was. Played on what is now known as mad Friday, which may have been why it was played on a Friday night due to playing Plymouth. My first ever night game and one I’ll remember for some time.

We also played Hartlepool on a Friday in 2009. As I was gutted because it being a Friday when I was still in uni, I couldn’t go. 

6 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Yep, it was. Played on what is now known as mad Friday, which may have been why it was played on a Friday night due to playing Plymouth. My first ever night game and one I’ll remember for some time.

We also played Hartlepool on a Friday in 2009. As I was gutted because it being a Friday when I was still in uni, I couldn’t go. 

I seem to recall a Friday night against Blackburn, or have I made that up?

9 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Went to the Plymouth match with a friend of mine who has nevet been to a football match since. Not sure why that put him off going again.

20 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Ritchie with a nice second. 

Was that the “Please don’t go Joe” match?

Not certain but I think it was later as we had only beaten Arsenal and think the "Please don't go, Joe" match was the season after the double Cup run season.  

A bit of a Google actually says it was the "Please Don't go Joe" match according to the Great man's autobiography. 

Edited by rudemedic

28 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Not certain but I think it was later as we had only beaten Arsenal and think the "Please don't go, Joe" match was the season after the double Cup run season.  

A bit of a Google actually says it was the "Please Don't go Joe" match according to the Great man's autobiography. 

Yeah, I remember MacKay running over to the Rovers fans too at the end in a desperate attempt to ingratiate himself and keep his job. Worked.