January Window Gossip/Rumours

12 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Menig was a loan....still a waste of money. Byrne played a large part in a successful run just after Wellens took over..... Benyu Ruddy & Wilson were loans. If we remove loans, the Good list (in comparison) looks even better....

The point I’m making is that many people here automatically have a cynical view of any ‘french’ lads, they don’t have the same predisposition to those perceived as domestic (even some aren’t actually domestic). In reality they are all hit and miss at this level.  If we can pick up bargains abroad and unearth the odd player I’m happy with that approach. Domestic players are overpriced, as we are currently seeing with one of our players and the interest from Preston and others. 

11 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Menig was a loan....still a waste of money. Byrne played a large part in a successful run just after Wellens took over..... Benyu Ruddy & Wilson were loans. If we remove loans, the Good list (in comparison) looks even better....

Just like Missilou and Maouche, if Menig had been given a decent run in the side he might have been very good at this level. 5 or 10 mins here and there is not a true indicator of a players worth.

Just now, oafc1955 said:

Just like Missilou and Maouche, if Menig had been given a decent run in the side he might have been very good at this level. 5 or 10 mins here and there is not a true indicator of a players worth.

Yep. 

42 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

This is true. I keep thinking he was here last year.  But he’s settled fairly quickly then hasn’t he. 

He has. I actually live in the same apartment block as Misslou and Bragner-Engone, they live together. Misslou has his family over here also and seems very happy.

Speak to them both when I see them and they are always talking about Oldham and want to get up the table. 

Wonder if AL places them all in these apartments? 

13 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

The point I’m making is that many people here automatically have a cynical view of any ‘french’ lads, they don’t have the same predisposition to those perceived as domestic (even some aren’t actually domestic). In reality they are all hit and miss at this level.  If we can pick up bargains abroad and unearth the odd player I’m happy with that approach. Domestic players are overpriced, as we are currently seeing with one of our players and the interest from Preston and others. 

....and I agree they shouldn't.... where a player emanates from is largely irrelevant, so long as they assimilate into the culture of the club and add to the team spirit..... but equally, being objective, it has rarely worked well for clubs in the lower leagues that have adopted this policy, Leyton Orient, Port Vale... and to date, us - we were relegated (!)..... and so it's only reasonable for some to be nervous about it.

Edited by lookersstandandy

6 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

....and I agree they shouldn't.... where a player emanates from is largely irrelevant, so long as they assimilate into the culture of the club and add to the team spirit..... but equally, being objective, it has rarely worked well for clubs that have adopted this policy, Leyton Orient, Port Vale... and to date, us - we were relegated (!)..... and so it's only reasonable for some to be nervous about it.

I think if AL had taken the same route last season as he has this, I’m pretty certain we would of been fine.

Point being, flood any side with lots of different languages and cultures, and it takes a lot longer for them to gel/assimilate. 

Add one or two as we have this season and it’s absolutely fine. Its just about balance. Not either or. 

Edited by League one forever

5 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

....and I agree they shouldn't.... where a player emanates from is largely irrelevant, so long as they assimilate into the culture of the club and add to the team spirit..... but equally, being objective, it has rarely worked well for clubs in the lower leagues that have adopted this policy, Leyton Orient, Port Vale... and to date, us - we were relegated (!)..... and so it's only reasonable for some to be nervous about it.

There are examples of it failing but without doing any research I’d be confident in saying there will be clubs where it has worked also ? Or am I wide of the mark ? Genuinely think there will be. 

Just now, simplythemostimportantkick said:

There are examples of it failing but without doing any research I’d be confident in saying there will be clubs where it has worked also ? Or am I wide of the mark ? Genuinely think there will be. 

.....I don't know of one in the lower leagues.... in the Top 2 divisions where they are awash with foreign imports, yes.... but we're not really dining at the same table as them.

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I think if AL had taken the same route last season as he has this, I’m pretty certain we would of been fine......

....only if they were good enough, which overall they weren't....

Good (2) Nepo, Duck

Not Good (6) Placide, Omrami, Moimbe, Menig, Kyeremeh, Maouche [yes, he may yet come good, but last season - for whatever reason - he wasn't]

Edited by lookersstandandy

1 minute ago, lookersstandandy said:

.....I don't know of one in the lower leagues.... in the Top 2 divisions where they are awash with foreign imports, yes.... but we're not really dining at the same table as them.

Hang on. 

Your denying whats in front of you. 

Are maouche, missilou, nepo playing well on the whole? Have they improved? The answer is yes.

Some work, some don’t. Like every other club. An like every other club you just can’t flood- then you get what happened last season. 

4 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

....only if they were good enough, which overall they weren't....

Good (2) Nepo, Duck

Not Good (6) Placide, Omrami, Moimbe, Menig, Kyeremeh, Maouche [yes, he may yet come good, but last season - for whatever reason - he wasn't]

Which is exactly my point Andy.

He flooded it. Bad mistake. 

This season. 

Missilou- decent. 

Nepo and Maouche have both improved from last season. 

Thats 3 players all contributing, all playing well. How is it that bad? 

Just now, League one forever said:

Hang on. 

Your denying whats in front of you. 

Are maouche, missilou, nepo playing well on the whole? Have they improved? The answer is yes.

Some work, some don’t. Like every other club. An like every other club you just can’t flood- then you get what happened last season. 

No I'm not..... Yes, all three of those players appear to be improving..... but we were relegated employing the import policy and sit mid table in the 4th division.

To date, it hasn't worked..... that's not to say it won't in the future.... and that I don't want it to... I'd be delighted if it did..... but to be re-writing history on the back of a handful of games - and that's all we're talking about in the case of Maouche - is equally 'denying'.

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Which is exactly my point Andy.

He flooded it. Bad mistake. 

This season. 

Missilou- decent. 

Nepo and Maouche have both improved from last season. 

Thats 3 players all contributing, all playing well. How is it that bad? 

....we're at risk of violently agreeing.... if he'd restricted his import policy [last season] to only, Placide, Omrani and Menig.... it still wouldn't have worked. I'm hoping AL and his brother are learning and the % that come off rises......

1 hour ago, lookersstandandy said:

Fair.... but I'd say the success rate of the domestic has been better....

Good (7): Davies, Doyle, Hunt, Dummigan, Bryan, Byrne, Gardner

Not Good (5): McEleney, Benyu, Duffus, Ruddy, Wilson

I also missed Menig and Kyeremeh off the Foreign import list , both failures.

Relegation Dan in the 'Good' list?

:laught30:

3 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

....we're at risk of violently agreeing.... if he'd restricted his import policy [last season] to only, Placide, Omrani and Menig.... it still wouldn't have worked. I'm hoping AL and his brother are learning and the % that come off rises......

It would of worked last season  if he’d stuck to Duck, Miombe, and nepo. They were all decent last season. 

The import policy works if it’s not to many at the same time, and obviously- like any signing, they’re decent. But if there not, it’s because there from the French 4th division or our it’s policy, it’s because they’re shit- and we move on. 

If it’s handled right, I see it as a big plus for us. 

45 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

He has. I actually live in the same apartment block as Misslou and Bragner-Engone, they live together. Misslou has his family over here also and seems very happy.

Speak to them both when I see them and they are always talking about Oldham and want to get up the table. 

Wonder if AL places them all in these apartments? 

Are they nice?