January Window Gossip/Rumours

1 minute ago, lookersstandandy said:

The first time [Craig Davies] one could argue backfired.....?

Yeah maybe, although to be fair to AL you expect players to be professional when the bid doesn’t suit the club. He threw his toys out, and didn’t really put a shift in after Jan. 

Cheers Craig. All the best. 

2 hours ago, dkay570 said:

Sky are saying we've turned down a 200k bid from Scunthorpe for Edmundson.

May come back to bite me, but I’ve never been convinced by him. Great to have our own youth in the side though. Wouldn’t take much more for me to think it’d be worth getting rid...

5 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

May come back to bite me, but I’ve never been convinced by him. Great to have our own youth in the side though. Wouldn’t take much more for me to think it’d be worth getting rid...

I can see why you would say that, but for a young lad who is steadily improving I would try and hang on a little longer. Fulham will be interesting and a good test of where our young players are. 

8 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Apparently Scunny are saying the bid wasn't as high as £200k, and they won't be making an improved offer. Their loss.

10 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Talking about Tarky here or Edmondson? 

Decent centrehalfs and young ones at that are thin on the ground and Edmondson has all the attributes to play at an higher level, most don't mature fully until their mid 20's both physically and mentally and he's steadily improving particularly with Clarke looking after him in games, these young defenders are going to have off games, even the more experienced ones like Lovren and Jones don't get everything right so mistakes will happen it's how they react and learn that's important, certainly wouldn't be giving him away for 200k in the current climate.

Wigan's website reporting Max Power's loan to Sunderland has been made permanent.  Also they have recalled a forward they had in loan at Peterborough.  No mention of Lang though. Hopefully discussions ongoing to bring him back.

Edited by astottie

3 hours ago, fleetwood Blue said:

Edmundson and Hamer will be targets this month, if there was clubs watching both of them yesterday then they did their hopes of a bigger move no harm at all.

If we consider a figure that small it would be madness, for what players go for these days we should be demanding at least a mill!

9 minutes ago, latics22 said:

If we consider a figure that small it would be madness, for what players go for these days we should be demanding at least a mill!

Just our of interest how many League 2 players have gone for a seven figure fee in, say, the last three years?

17 minutes ago, ChrisRichard said:

I'm sure I've read that Lang has now returned to Wigan. 

His loan expired yesterday so technically he has. His behaviour at the end of yesterday's game would suggest he's gone for good but I'm hoping we might be negotiating to bring him back.

10 minutes ago, ChrisRichard said:

I'm sure I've read that Lang has now returned to Wigan. 

The thing is, will he ask to come straight back to Oldham as his chances of getting into the first team there will be extremely limited to zero or will he be loaned out to yet another league two club against us?

At the end of the day, I hope he comes back here to see it through to the play offs or better🙏

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Talking about Tarky here or Edmondson? 

Decent centrehalfs and young ones at that are thin on the ground and Edmondson has all the attributes to play at an higher level, most don't mature fully until their mid 20's both physically and mentally and he's steadily improving particularly with Clarke looking after him in games, these young defenders are going to have off games, even the more experienced ones like Lovren and Jones don't get everything right so mistakes will happen it's how they react and learn that's important, certainly wouldn't be giving him away for 200k in the current climate.

I hope he shows the promise Tarky did, however he’s not far off the age at which Tarky moved on I think, and he was head and shoulders above everybody else at League 1 level week-in-week-out when Brentford took him. I’m not sure you’d say anything like that about Edmundson and we're In the division below.

Nevertheless we’re comparing him to a lad who has made England appearances. Perhaps George has potential to rise the leagues soon, I’m not so sure.

1 hour ago, NewBlue said:

I hope he shows the promise Tarky did, however he’s not far off the age at which Tarky moved on I think, and he was head and shoulders above everybody else at League 1 level week-in-week-out when Brentford took him. I’m not sure you’d say anything like that about Edmundson and we're In the division below.

Nevertheless we’re comparing him to a lad who has made England appearances. Perhaps George has potential to rise the leagues soon, I’m not so sure.

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

Plus Tarky had made 70+ appearances for us - George is on what? 30?

Valid points but there's no doubt the management merry go round at our club has prevented any of our younger lads from  developing, we've had young loanee after young loanee come in at the expense of the likes of George only for them to be sent packing whilst George marks time, finally he's been given the run he needed and we are starting to reap the rewards.

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Valid points but there's no doubt the management merry go round at our club has prevented any of our younger lads from  developing, we've had young loanee after young loanee come in at the expense of the likes of George only for them to be sent packing whilst George marks time, finally he's been given the run he needed and we are starting to reap the rewards.

Sounds like we have a few coming through with potential. 

I vaguely remember someone saying we where lucky to get Robinson, he only came bacause of his dad. 

Had a fair few on the bench recently to. We introduce a few a year it could be well worth it. 

16 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Anybody who wants rid of the youth set up is a basic idiot.

Monty, old boy, on a scale of 1 to 10 for being an idiot, where does "basic" sit and with training and experience, can you reach "intermediate" or "advanced" levels?

I only ask, because I'm sure there are some on here who are getting close to the top (but not me, of course)!!!

15 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

Monty, old boy, on a scale of 1 to 10 for being an idiot, where does "basic" sit and with training and experience, can you reach "intermediate" or "advanced" levels?

I only ask, because I'm sure there are some on here who are getting close to the top (but not me, of course)!!!

This feels like a trap 🤔