Misheard Chant Lyrics

9 hours ago, rudemedic said:

It sounds like our fans sing, 

"Up the football here we go". 

But I'm questioning if that's my hearing, as what I've always sung was 

"Up the football league we go." The other doesn't seem to make sense. Or has the air of Roger Nouveau about it. 

Any one else know of any lyrics they've 'misheard'? 

Till very recently I always thought it was uo the football here we go, Even taught it my daughter.

1 hour ago, ddot_m said:

As an 8 year old I thought “Joe Royle’s blue and white army” was “Joan, Joan and Tony”.

Still can’t quite get it out of my head.

Had to chuckle at this, as a mate from school I used to drag to Latics with me used to think 'Neil Warnock's blue and white army' was something like 'Know I want spline, Tony'. 

Happy to see the spirit of Tony lives on, whoever he is 😂  

6 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Just nice to hear Ei Ei Eio again. Bit like a band bringing a rare old song back into a setlist. 

Yes last time it was sung in earnest was towards the end of the Swindon home win in League 1 under LJ in Feb 2015, Swindon were 2nd and we finished the night in 5th, within two weeks Johnson was gone and Corney installed Holden with the main aim being to stay up, which we did - just.

Thanks Simon.

7 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Just nice to hear Ei Ei Eio again. Bit like a band bringing a rare old song back into a setlist. 

I was singing it loud and proud on Saturday, but it's a bit weird singing it when we're 12th in the League.

When I was about 6 or 7, I used to think the words were "we're the locomotion, this is what we sing..."

Edited by Lee Sinnott

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Yes last time it was sung in earnest was towards the end of the Swindon home win in League 1 under LJ in Feb 2015, Swindon were 2nd and we finished the night in 5th, within two weeks Johnson was gone and Corney installed Holden with the main aim being to stay up, which we did - just.

Thanks Simon.

5th in February and still managed to finish 15th. Well done to all involved.

LJ was unsettled as soon as he didn’t get Evans. 

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I was singing it loud and proud on Saturday, but it's a bit weird singing it when we're 12th in the League.

When I was about 6 or 7, I used to think the words were "we're the locomotion, this is what we sing..."

Two home games in the league now. If we were to end up in the play offs you’d think we’d get a minimum of 4 from Bury and Exeter. No easy games by any stretch but the team is full of confidence and the players we do have aren’t that bad. We’ve got one of the best forwards in the league in Surridge and if he can get going again we should be able to push towards the play offs.

This, of course, depending on the behind the scenes circus which hopefully won’t have the impact like it did last season which ultimately lead to our relegation.

13 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Two home games in the league now. If we were to end up in the play offs you’d think we’d get a minimum of 4 from Bury and Exeter. No easy games by any stretch but the team is full of confidence and the players we do have aren’t that bad. We’ve got one of the best forwards in the league in Surridge and if he can get going again we should be able to push towards the play offs.

This, of course, depending on the behind the scenes circus which hopefully won’t have the impact like it did last season which ultimately lead to our relegation.

You’ve changed your tune

My uncle, who has always been more of a Roughyeds fan, but, like many, jumped on the bandwagon when we were good as a point of wider 'civic pride', tells me the same story every bloody Christmas, which is pretty much the only time I see him, about how he went to Wembley for the league cup final in 1990, and thought fans were singing 'Who loves you, Palmer?' instead of 'Ooooh Roger', leading to me telling him every Christmas that he should have just stuck to the feckin egg chasing.

4 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Who are you, and what have you done to K i G?

23 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

In the 60s, when Latics did play in those colours, the song was “Our team plays in blue and tangerine”. Sung on Barlow coaches, in the Chaddy End, and on away terraces. 

and very loudley and almost continuesley at goodison during a famous FA.Cup  win 

10 hours ago, Chorlton_Latic said:

My uncle, who has always been more of a Roughyeds fan, but, like many, jumped on the bandwagon when we were good as a point of wider 'civic pride', tells me the same story every bloody Christmas, which is pretty much the only time I see him, about how he went to Wembley for the league cup final in 1990, and thought fans were singing 'Who loves you, Palmer?' instead of 'Ooooh Roger', leading to me telling him every Christmas that he should have just stuck to the feckin egg chasing.

Remember chatting to someone in a boozer in Dublin once, who, when he knew I was a Latics fan told me that he'd been at Wembley for the Littlewoods Cup Final against Forest. He couldn't understand the song we were singing though, which according to him was 'Who loves your farmer?'