Exeter

1 hour ago, Whitts said:

With the good take up for Fulham, and the likely size of the away following from Exeter, be a nice gesture if they offered some discounts to boost numbers.  ST Holders bring a friend for a fiver, kids for a quid type of thing.  

Would be a decent gesture I agree- will be a low turnout this weekend.

16 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Would be a decent gesture I agree- will be a low turnout this weekend.

Usually a group of 6 of us in the family stand. None of us there this weekend. As for the fixture itself, what an absolute sack of shite it is having Exeter and their fans travel all the way up here 3 days before Christmas. Not our problem, like, but still disgraceful...

30 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Usually a group of 6 of us in the family stand. None of us there this weekend. As for the fixture itself, what an absolute sack of shite it is having Exeter and their fans travel all the way up here 3 days before Christmas. Not our problem, like, but still disgraceful...

Agreed, weren’t we at Plymouth last season a few days before xmas? Shambles.

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

1 hour ago, daniel said:

Agreed, weren’t we at Plymouth last season a few days before xmas? Shambles.

I was of the belief it's done deliberately with the agreement of the clubs for 2 reasons. 

1. It's always a low turn out so don't want to waste one of our derbies 

2. Police don't want a derby just before Christmas and would prefer the lowest number of away fans possible to arrive in the town on the busiest

shopping day of the year

Not sure where I have this info from but it sounds feasible. 

6 hours ago, astottie said:

I was of the belief it's done deliberately with the agreement of the clubs for 2 reasons. 

2. Police don't want a derby just before Christmas and would prefer the lowest number of away fans possible to arrive in the town on the busiest

shopping day of the year

Seems logical to me. Although from previous experiences you'd struggle to find Oldham town centre busy even in the lead up to Christmas.

Edited by yarddog73

Well it's one of the two most important fixtures of the season for me.  My brother and I will be flying up for it and I hope I'll have the bragging rights at the end.

We'll probably go into it as favourites given the recent form of both teams, but I don't underestimate them.  They are a more direct team than when Tisdale managed them but they have talented players and it was no fluke that they were at the top of the league earlier in the season.

If they go with two up front then Stockley (decent target man and excellent finisher) and Forte (we know all about his pace) will be a very dangerous front two who work well together, but I think they'll be vulnerable at the back going 4-4-2 and missing key players like Boateng in midfield, so I think they'll go 4-1-4-1 with Tillson sitting in front of the defence, Stockley on his own and they'll try to dominate the midfield. 

Nicky Law is their most talented player and was a class above earlier in the season but has gone off the boil a bit since, Jake Taylor is an all-action midfielder and could easily play at a higher level and in Lee Holmes and Lee Martin they have two tricky wide players.

Defensively they're OK but if Aaron Martin isn't fit then they'll be vulnerable.

I'm really looking forward to seeing a settled and in form Latics side for a change!  I think the XI pretty much picks itself after the Bury game, although I'd have no problem if Dummigan comes back in for Hamer.  Andy Taylor has struck me as being a solid if unspectacular left back at this level, so if he's playing second fiddle to Rob Hunt then it shows we're in a good place!

If Missilou is playing as well as people say then he could be the key to us controlling the midfield an winning the match.   Would be brilliant to go into Christmas in the Top 7 after all the turbulence earlier in the season!

1 hour ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Well it's one of the two most important fixtures of the season for me.  My brother and I will be flying up for it and I hope I'll have the bragging rights at the end.

We'll probably go into it as favourites given the recent form of both teams, but I don't underestimate them.  They are a more direct team than when Tisdale managed them but they have talented players and it was no fluke that they were at the top of the league earlier in the season.

If they go with two up front then Stockley (decent target man and excellent finisher) and Forte (we know all about his pace) will be a very dangerous front two who work well together, but I think they'll be vulnerable at the back going 4-4-2 and missing key players like Boateng in midfield, so I think they'll go 4-1-4-1 with Tillson sitting in front of the defence, Stockley on his own and they'll try to dominate the midfield. 

Nicky Law is their most talented player and was a class above earlier in the season but has gone off the boil a bit since, Jake Taylor is an all-action midfielder and could easily play at a higher level and in Lee Holmes and Lee Martin they have two tricky wide players.

Defensively they're OK but if Aaron Martin isn't fit then they'll be vulnerable.

I'm really looking forward to seeing a settled and in form Latics side for a change!  I think the XI pretty much picks itself after the Bury game, although I'd have no problem if Dummigan comes back in for Hamer.  Andy Taylor has struck me as being a solid if unspectacular left back at this level, so if he's playing second fiddle to Rob Hunt then it shows we're in a good place!

If Missilou is playing as well as people say then he could be the key to us controlling the midfield an winning the match.   Would be brilliant to go into Christmas in the Top 7 after all the turbulence earlier in the season!

Nicky Law - surprised he dropped a level. Shame we never went in for him. Very good player..Good scouting report by the way, you handed your dossier over to Frankie? 

Astottie's reasoning  for this type of scheduling is spot on , I played golf with a guy who is high up in the EFL   and I asked him about the somewhat bizarre scheduling at certain times and his answer was pretty much the same as Astotties

13 hours ago, astottie said:

shopping day of the year

I saw something similar on an article about fixtures, and the computer that creates them, on the BBC IIRC a while back.

EDIT. Found it:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulfletcher/2009/06/secrets_of_the_fixture_compute.html

Edited by singe

1 hour ago, Gawbie said:

Nicky Law - surprised he dropped a level. Shame we never went in for him. Very good player..Good scouting report by the way, you handed your dossier over to Frankie? 

No, but their manager is a few seats behind me at my place of work as I write this.  So I'm treading carefully...

16 hours ago, astottie said:

shopping day of the year

Good knowledge.

Exeter have only won 2 in 10 and are 22nd in the 6 game form table, we are lying 4th in the form table so I'm expecting nothing more than a home win, set the bench mark with the effort and intensity last week and no reason to expect anything less this weekend, added bonus of going above them with a win.

29 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Exeter have only won 2 in 10 and are 22nd in the 6 game form table, we are lying 4th in the form table so I'm expecting nothing more than a home win, set the bench mark with the effort and intensity last week and no reason to expect anything less this weekend, added bonus of going above them with a win.

Let’s hope we can break the oafc curse, teams on a bad run normally do well against us!

41 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Momentum should be with us if we start unchanged.

Expecting a stronger bench as well.

I hope its cold and pi$$ing down again on Saturday.

COYB!

5 hours ago, latics22 said:

Let’s hope we can break the oafc curse, teams on a bad run normally do well against us!

This would normally result in an agreement upboat, but, as you are in denial about my regular upboats keeping you in the green l am withdrawing them.

l do agree with you tho.