Exeter

6 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

i’m 100% sure Bunn hates Maouche. Was bollocking him all game and then hauled him off. 

Where do you sit? 

I sit in the main stand paddock close to the bench and didn’t get the impression he was having a go at Maouche thoughout the game. Agree that was the wrong sub to make. 

18 minutes ago, super_blue said:

Where do you sit? 

I sit in the main stand paddock close to the bench and didn’t get the impression he was having a go at Maouche thoughout the game. Agree that was the wrong sub to make. 

Only time he really bollocked him was when he looked to put Surridge in through the middle instead of moving it out wide to Hamer who was in acres of space - and rightly so, Maouche was tired as were Hamer and O'Grady so Bunn had little choice in my opinion, your going to get days like that in this league and this group have been playing a high pressing intense game in recent weeks so its going to show in performances through fatigue from time to time, few days off and they have to go again.

We were unlucky today we dominated large parts of the game but are a little naive and need to get more streetwise, too much overplaying when we went one up and then 2-1 up and O'Grady really should of doubled the lead and totally missed the target from a few yards out, Surridge also guilty of missing good chances and also shooting when Miller is square for the tap in, we learn move on and go again.

19 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

I just feel if we were going to achieve anything we would have pulled through and won today. Unless there’s a bit of a shake up transfer wise in January, I feel we will just end up mid table.

It's one game. City lost to Palace today. 

1 hour ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

We’ll lose to Carlisle & Port Vale. Will end the season. Could lead Bunn’s dismissal. 

Today has been a monumental cock up. Just proved that we can not make the play-offs.

You know you’ve made it when Ibby’s plagiarising you on Facebook. 😆

46 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I could unsterstand why he swopped maouche for Lyden, law was ripping us to bits through the middle, Lyden may have sorted that out, he didn't as it turned out. 

It got much worse.  I think he was just resting Maouche. 

Obviously it’s a gutting result for me.  Thought we played some good football for 70 mins but ran out of steam when we needed a big push at the end, they finished the game strongly and probably edged it overall.  Ultimately we got beaten by a striker who probably won’t be at our level by the end of next month.

Iverson – not a lot that he could do about the goals really.  Made a couple of decent saves but nothing spectacular.

Hamer – Brilliant cross for Surridge’s goal.  Caught out a fair amount of times and still has things to learn, but a very good prospect.
Clarke – a good battle with Stockley, maybe could’ve been closer to him for the goals (the 1st one sticks out) but no massive mistakes.
Edmundson – played fairly well overall and will be a good centre back in years to come.  A horrible mismatch when he had to defend Holmes one-on-one before the cross for the winning goal.
Hunt – Did OK but will always be limited on the left.

Lang – really hope we sign him up for the rest of the season.  Made amends for a bad miss in the 1st half with a great bit of footwork and finish for the 2nd goal.  He isn’t in his natural position on the right but he’s well worth a start there.  As Surridge hasn’t been reliably on the pitch in the first half of the season, having Lang as a backup striker for the 2nd half of the season is vital if we want to push towards the top.
Missilou – MotM.  A remarkable improvement from the start of the season and absolutely everywhere!  1st centre mid on the teamsheet on that showing.
Maouche – also has noticeably improved.  Very composed on the ball.  I have doubts that he could play in a midfield two alongside any other player in the squad, but him and Missilou complement each other very well.
Nepomuceno – a few very good crosses in the first half.  A decent left winger for this level, not a liability.

O’Grady – better than the previous occasions I saw him play this season.  Clearly limited but allows Surridge to work his magic.
Surridge – very dangerous in the 1st half, faded in the 2nd.  I think he’ll end up playing at a higher level than Stockley because of his pace but Stockley was more clinical today.

Subs
Miller – disappointing, didn’t really make an impact on the game.
Taylor – poor.  Will be a useful member of the squad for the rest of the season but Hunt deserves the left back position over him at present.
Lyden – definitely tried to add some urgency to the play when he came on but it didn’t pay off.  Honestly didn’t see the penalty appeal against him.  Would happily have him for the rest of the season.

Bunn – first XI was right, subs didn’t really work and made us weaker.  Overall he’s got us playing a much better style than earlier in the season.  Has absolutely earned the chance to keep his job for the rest of the season but if off the field matters stay stable and we keep the squad we currently have here or add to it in January then he really should have us pushing towards the top 7.  I’d love it if he succeeds but if he comes up short then so be it and we see our options in the summer.

Annoyingly that was more like the Exeter team from earlier in the season and not the one from recent times.  They aren’t exceptional overall but Stockley, Law, Holmes and (despite not playing today) Forte are real attacking threats at this level.  Their promotion hopes hinge on keeping Stockley and by a few accounts those chances are slim.  I doubt any replacement will hit the ground running.  At a guess I think they’ll be battling us for 7th spot come April/May.

In January, in addition to us keeping Lang and probably Lyden, I’d like us to sign a natural right winger and another central midfielder to the squad.  I think Graham will improve if played but if we can find a better loanee then he can make way.  We would need another centre back in the squad if he left though.  Not many changes are needed imo, but maybe extra bodies in the squad.

Sat in the Joe Royle Stand for the first time today and was impressed by the views from it.  Regardless of who actually owns it and whether it’s finished or not, it makes the whole ground look better.

Happy Chris Miss everyone!

51 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

I just feel if we were going to achieve anything we would have pulled through and won today. Unless there’s a bit of a shake up transfer wise in January, I feel we will just end up mid table.

You need to get better at this fishing lark, talk to Eyrsey he’s quite good on occasion. 

2 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

We’ll lose to Carlisle & Port Vale. Will end the season. Could lead Bunn’s dismissal.  Lemsagam will probably walk out.  Then administration looms.  Then we'll get 44 point penalty because, simply, we deserve pain.  Then liquidation follows.  Then a law gets put in place banning Oldham Athletic from ever reforming as a phoenix club in any form.  Then...nothingness.

FTFY

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

We’ll lose to Carlisle & Port Vale. Will end the season. Could lead Bunn’s dismissal. 

Today has been a monumental cock up. Just proved that we can not make the play-offs.

Merry Christmas to you as well. 😁

13 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Iverson – not a lot that he could do about the goals really.  Made a couple of decent saves but nothing spectacular.

Hamer – Brilliant cross for Surridge’s goal.  Caught out a fair amount of times and still has things to learn, but a very good prospect.
Clarke – a good battle with Stockley, maybe could’ve been closer to him for the goals (the 1st one sticks out) but no massive mistakes.
Edmundson – played fairly well overall and will be a good centre back in years to come.  A horrible mismatch when he had to defend Holmes one-on-one before the cross for the winning goal.
Hunt – Did OK but will always be limited on the left.

Lang – really hope we sign him up for the rest of the season.  Made amends for a bad miss in the 1st half with a great bit of footwork and finish for the 2nd goal. 
Missilou – MotM.  A remarkable improvement from the start of the season and absolutely everywhere.
Maouche – also has noticeably improved.  Very composed on the ball.  I have doubts that he could play in a midfield two alongside any other player in the squad, but him and Missilou complement each other very well.
Nepomuceno – a few very good crosses in the first half.  A decent left winger for this level, not a liability.

O’Grady – better than the previous occasions I saw him play this season.  
Surridge – very dangerous in the 1st half, faded in the 2nd.  
Subs
Miller – disappointing, didn’t really make an impact on the game.
Taylor – poor.  
Lyden – definitely tried to add some urgency to the play when he came on but it didn’t pay off.

Bunn – first XI was right, subs didn’t really work and made us weaker.  Overall he’s got us playing a much better style than earlier in the season. 

Interesting to read your opinions (shortened version above) - mostly spot on.

my twopenn’orth...

I thought that, defensively, both fullbacks were poor yesterday. I would have taken Hunt off when Taylor came on but Hamer was also struggling. We simply did not close their wide men down and allowed too many crosses at the heart of our defence.

Edmundson came up against a striker in Stockley who bullied and tricked his way through the game. He was however real quality. The number of times the Exeter man was in space showed that Edmundson still has a lot to learn. 

Both Surridge and Lang are quality forwards who will go on to play at a higher level. However both are young and lack that decision making that comes with experience. Surridge in particular will always look for the shot when sometimes he should play in a team mate.

With more composure they could have had a couple of goals each yesterday. It will come.

The midfield is where we have seen the biggest improvement in our play. Maouche plays deeper than I thought he would which allows Missilou to get forward and around the pitch to great effect. As you rightly say, Nepomuceno is showing that he is a decent winger. The three #frenchlads have come to terms with what is needed from them at this level.

Overall we are playing much better football and should not have lost the game yesterday. We have a good balance going forward and we look like we will score goals. Bunn is doing well with the players he has available. Strange choice though to take O’Grady off 🤔

January will be an interesting time - will we bring in a couple to improve the side and our chances of getting back to League 1? 

Edited by TheBigDog
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, adamoafc said:

We lost a grip for me when Maouche came off. Genuinely don’t think that was need at all and it’s almost like Bunn has an issue with him. 

Once Law moved central from wide we lost our grip in midfield, 

Their substitute left winger also caused problems to Hamer.

I suppose you can say Exeter got it tactically right and we didn't in the 2nd half.

Edited by BP1960

The pressing game we play only seems sustainable for the first 45 mins, we did the same vs bury..we come out for the second half on our heavy pitch with very little shape, we look less compact in the middle and 5/6 players look very tired and leggy..

We have improved since the first couple of months of the season but we are still frail when we are defending, a couple of signings are needed if we are to push on and attempt to get into the play offs because this squad is starting to look tired due to not being able to rotate anybody in any games. 

22 minutes ago, fleetwood Blue said:

The pressing game we play only seems sustainable for the first 45 mins, we did the same vs bury..we come out for the second half on our heavy pitch with very little shape, we look less compact in the middle and 5/6 players look very tired and leggy..

We have improved since the first couple of months of the season but we are still frail when we are defending, a couple of signings are needed if we are to push on and attempt to get into the play offs because this squad is starting to look tired due to not being able to rotate anybody in any games. 

We can rotate but unfortunately the replacements are not up to scratch. Compounded by the injuries we have - it would be good to have Dummigan, Gardner, Baxter, La Paz available from the bench.

43 minutes ago, fleetwood Blue said:

The pitch certainly didn't help the ball players like Maouche yesterday, after some real heavy rain in the area over the past couple of days it cut up quite bad yesterday.