3 minutes ago, OLDHAMADE said:

I'd be happy with that appointment and the publicity that comes with it, imagine the buzz around the place and players queuing up to play for him

10 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

So would I, for the sheer theatre of it. 

Other than the publicity can somebody please tell me what the most introverted, shy, quiet England player brings to the club in the form of experience or some display of man management? Oh and maybe the fact he is quote 'one of our own' like Mr Wild.

Just now, whittles left foot said:

Other than the publicity can somebody please tell me what the most introverted, shy, quiet England player brings to the club in the form of experience or some display of man management? Oh and maybe the fact he is quote 'one of our own' like Mr Wild.

The fact that he was possibly the best midfielder of all time at the biggest club in the world might have some leverage, you can't tell me that training wouldn't improve with both Scholes and Wild 

Don't get this Scholes for manager.

Being a brilliant player is the one thing that doesn't make a good manager.

Probably better odds of a complete novice like Wild doing a better job.

Don't remember  Fergie, Wenger or Klopp geing good players!!!

Edited by losesome

What a hard question!  Do you take the man that has produced our best result for twenty years, I rank away to Fulham as better than the win at home against a much poorer than now Liverpool side, or do you take Scholes with all his experience as a player?   What relevant experience as a coach or manager does Scholes have or is he just a name that makes Abdallah happy with the possibility that a few more will turn up to watch.

Teams win when they are confident, know what they are doing and have sufficient players of the appropriate standard (and it could be said have nutrition by Antoine).  We have spent the season under Bunn questioning what he was doing.  Didn't hear anyone question the 4 2 3 1 or the substitutions Wild made.

When you are on the crest of a wave why jump off?

Edited by Hands on

2 minutes ago, losesome said:

Don't get this Scholes glamour,

How many can you list that were good players though ? 

2 minutes ago, losesome said:

Not many !!!!!

Are you being serious ??? I’ll get you started then - Guardiola wasn’t half bad ...  there’s shitloads. To quote 3 or 4 that are top managers but not set the world on fire as players is not proof of any pattern one way or the other. Whoever gets appointed is going to be a risk. We just have to hope it works out well. 

11 minutes ago, Hands on said:

What a hard question!  Do you take the man that has produced our best result for twenty years, I rank away to Fulham as better than the win at home against a much poorer than now Liverpool side, or do you take Scholes with all his experience as a player?   What relevant experience as a coach or manager does Scholes have or is he just a name that makes Abdallah happy with the possibility that a few more will turn up to watch.

Teams win when they are confident, know what they are doing and have sufficient players of the appropriate standard (and it could be said have nutrition by Antoine).  We have spent the season under Bunn questioning what he was doing.  Didn't hear anyone question the 4 2 3 1 or the substitutions Wild made.

I'd love Wild to stay in the job but you heard what he said, he needs assurances as he has a mortgage to pay and with that comes added pressure if it all goes tits up

Scholes is loaded and will shrug off that pressure, besides I'm sure Latics will benefit from his status and contacts, we might even find some extra investors due to his presence 

The Yernited love in if Scholes got the gig would be nauseating to say the least. Don’t think I could *bear it. 

Also not having that he was world class, overrated player who got better in retirement. Shouldn’t be spoken about in the same breath as Gerrard and Lampard. 

Edited by Ryan

24 minutes ago, Hands on said:

That Liverpool side would’ve battered Fulham. They had Luis Suarez up front for starters...

42 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Are you being serious ??? I’ll get you started then - Guardiola wasn’t half bad ...  there’s shitloads. To quote 3 or 4 that are top managers but not set the world on fire as players is not proof of any pattern one way or the other. Whoever gets appointed is going to be a risk. We just have to hope it works out well. 

Pep =1

For every Pep there is 10 Fergies!!!!

14 minutes ago, Ryan said:

The Yernited love in if Scholes got the gig would be nauseating to say the least. Don’t think I could bare it. 

Also not having that he was world class, overrated player who got better in retirement. Shouldn’t be spoken about in the same breath as Gerrard and Lampard. 

or Sheridan. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ryan said:

The Yernited love in if Scholes got the gig would be nauseating to say the least. Don’t think I could bare it. 

Please don't bare it, think of the children!!

Edited by owdumer
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, losesome said:

Pep =1

For every Pep there is 10 Fergies!!!!

Simeone, Zidane, Deschamps, Capello,Dalglish ...... the list will go on and on for GOOD (not even great) managers. Scholes COULD end up on it we just don’t know. And that’s exactly the point I’m trying (failing) to get across. 

21 minutes ago, Ryan said:

With respect, what a load of bollocks! Did Adrian Durham post this!

Stop listening to talk sport!

Scholes was known as a world class midfielder all around the world well before he retired & was a different type of player to the 2 mentioned. 

Edited by palmer1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, OLDHAMADE said:

When you see the list of candidates his name stands out and with good reason

He also has an affinity for the club, the other chancers don't!

How does it stand out other than he was a very good player. Means nowt when you start to manage, some can some cannot.

This bloke as I said earlier couldn't say boo to a goose when he was playing so how does that make him a suitable candidate? 

Wouldn't argue with the last bit of your quote.

4 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

How does it stand out other than he was a very good player. Means nowt when you start to manage, some can some cannot.

This bloke as I said earlier couldn't say boo to a goose when he was playing so how does that make him a suitable candidate? 

Wouldn't argue with the last bit of your quote.

Perhaps he was vocal in the changing room? On the training pitch?  He is certainly vocal as a pundit these days. 

1 hour ago, losesome said:

Don't get this Scholes for manager.

Klopp regularly played in the Bundesliga didn't he, probably not 'good' but a higher level than we are. 

There's absolutely no causation between being a good player and a good manager. Some good players become good managers, the same for great players. 

Some are absolutely bobbins despite getting better jobs than League 2/4th division. Your Barnes, Charlton (B), Nevilles (G). The likes of Keane, Henry, Blanc, Shearer, Campbell aren't or didn't set the world alight as a manager either. 

A manager/coach who wasn't a player doesn't necessarily get the same opportunities as a manager. 

Personally I don't think Scholes wants the job, his interest in a local rival complicates things further. 

59 minutes ago, Ryan said:

The Yernited love in if Scholes got the gig would be nauseating to say the least. Don’t think I could *bear it. 

Zinedine and Viera rated Scholes as best midfielder they’d played against, he was played out of position by England to accommodate Gerrard and Lampard in the middle which never worked.

When two World Cup winning midfielders say he’s the best I’d listen to them

I agree the United love in would be unpalatable but remember our glory years when many Utd fans living locally following Latics when Utd were playing away 

Would love Scholes just so he could show Gardner how to  pass  a ball to a blue shirt

I’d expect Scholes to be half decent man manager having played his career under fergie like him or loathe him he knew how to get best out of his pwayers...