Sir Jimmy Frizzell was never a shouter on or off the pitch, but he certainly put his point across to his players. He put himself about on the pitch to good effect as did Scholes(shame his timing in tackles was a bit off). Similar players ,albeit Scholes a class above.

• Like 1

Averaged about 4 assists a season did our Paul. Supposedly the best passer the country has ever produced because he once hit a tree in training 😂

Good player but never world class. His individual awards back that up. Gerrard and Lampard are streets ahead imo.

11 minutes ago, Wee Bobby said:

Sir Jimmy Frizzell was never a shouter on or off the pitch, but he certainly put his point across to his players. He put himself about on the pitch to good effect as did Scholes(shame his timing in tackles was a bit off). Similar players ,albeit Scholes a class above.

Never thought I would see the day when Jimmy Frizzell was considered a similar player to Paul Scholes. Wasn't there still a lace in the ball when Jimmy was playing? Yes I am old enough to remember him as a player before you pounce.

Anyway this is moving off topic to how good Scholes was as a player(not bothered, he was a red) to his qualifications as a manager(virtually nil).

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

His what? 

Last time I looked it was a team game. He's got the odd medal. 

Being part of a successful team doesn’t make you a world class individual. Plenty of poor footballers have won the most prestigious competitions.

He was a good player who won more trophies, and earned more money, than any of us could dream of but I still stand by my opinion. He was never on that elite level. I’ll accept I’m in the minority who doesn’t rate him as one of England’s best ever and agree to disagree.

3 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Being part of a successful team doesn’t make you a world class individual. Plenty of poor footballers have won the most prestigious competitions.

No, they haven't.  The most prestigious competitions are won by teams managed by top class managers who are capable of spotting, and dropping 'poor footballers'. 

11 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

No, they haven't.  The most prestigious competitions are won by teams managed by top class managers who are capable of spotting, and dropping 'poor footballers'. 

Wes Brown, Nani, Anderson, Carrick etc all have multiple PL winners’ medals and a 2008 CL winners’ medal from their time spent at United. They’re all very average footballers.

15 minutes ago, Ryan said:

In some instances I think it's fair to say that can be true. However you're talking about someone who was a main stay in the engine room of the most successful team in the country for over a decade. He decided when he was finishing on his own terms. That isnt the case for average footballers at massive clubs, it just doesn't happen.....then he decided to come out of retirement & went straight back to the top level of football. 

Either way it's all nothing to do with if he can manage. However everyone one we hire will be a risk. Imo the pros out weigh the cons when risking Scholes. On and off the pitch.

4 minutes ago, OLDHAMADE said:

Question is, would folks want the likes of Steven Pressley and co managing our club or would they prefer taking a chance on Scholes?

Damned if you do or don't I'd say.

Interesting you choose someone nobody seems to want.

How about choosing between say Hurst and Scholes?

2 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

In some instances I think it's fair to say that can be true. However you're talking about someone who was a main stay in the engine room of the most successful team in the country for over a decade. He decided when he was finishing on his own terms. That isnt the case for average footballers at massive clubs, it just doesn't happen.....then he decided to come out of retirement & went straight back to the top level of football. 

Either way it's all nothing to do with if he can manage. However everyone one we hire will be a risk. Imo the pros out weigh the cons when risking Scholes. On and off the pitch.

Spot on and was very modest about it, decent guy on every level.

8 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Wes Brown, Nani, Anderson, Carrick etc all have multiple PL winners’ medals and a 2008 CL winners’ medal from their time spent at United. They’re all very average footballers.

They were all massively better than average and Scholes was massively better than all of them. 

There was a very brief (30 seconds max) of AL on Granada Reports tonight speaking about the manager's job.  He said that he had (or he would be) speaking with Pete Wild, said that he had received a number of applications/CV's, and that the decision would be made for the best interest of the club.

13 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Quotes on Paul scholes

Click the above and see what these people have to say about Paul Scholes. You might want to note the standing that some of those people have in the game. I will back these people's judgement over yours. 

No offence but you are talking crap.

Of course this doesn't mean he will be a good manager but at the same time just because he was seen as the quiet one doesn't mean he will be a bad manager either.

Edited by GlossopLatic

22 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I see you those and raise you a David May (treble winner), Terry Cooke and multiple United kids who went on to do the square root of eff all after leaving United but have more Premier League medals than Gerrard. 

2 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

I see you those and raise you a David May (treble winner), Terry Cooke and multiple United kids who went on to do the square root of eff all after leaving United but have more Premier League medals than Gerrard. 

Carrick wasn't overrated though if anything he was criminally underrated by England managers.

3 hours ago, Ryan said:

The Yernited love in if Scholes got the gig would be nauseating to say the least. Don’t think I could *bear it. 

Also not having that he was world class, overrated player who got better in retirement. Shouldn’t be spoken about in the same breath as Gerrard and Lampard. 

You son are utterly clueless.

Scholes may have been a quality footballer but he won’t be playing for us, will he?

I’ll take your Scholes and raise you Hoddle.  Brilliant footballer but only showed promise as a coach for England when he had the best players at his disposal.  It was often said that when managing Swindon, Wolves and even Chelsea, he became quickly frustrated when the players couldn’t repeat on the pitch what he could do or tried to coach.

Imagine Scholes demonstrating pinpoint passing in training then players at our level tried the same but were 10 yards away from their targets?

Its not necessarily the coaching but fitness, tactics, mentality and funds to strengthen that’s the key.  Give someone like Wild security to continue as manager, a realistic budget to strengthen and time to move us on then that would be my preference.  It’s all about personality and teamwork; you can see the camaraderie between the players and Wild in the last few games.