11 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Give someone like Wild security to continue as manager, a realistic budget to strengthen and time to move us on then that would be my preference.

Agree with everything you say, but let's be honest, Wild (and any other manager) won't get any of these.

30 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Agree with everything you say, but let's be honest, Wild (and any other manager) won't get any of these.

Handing it to Wild smacks of the "cheap" option again and if I was him, I would not take the offer. Better to carry on with the youth, having had his moment of fame, and not put his neck, or reputation, on the line.

3 hours ago, Ryan said:

Averaged about 4 assists a season did our Paul. Supposedly the best passer the country has ever produced because he once hit a tree in training 😂

Good player but never world class. His individual awards back that up. Gerrard and Lampard are streets ahead imo.

With the greatest of respect, thats utter bollocks. Even Zidane and Pep had him up there as the best.

11 hours ago, Midsblue said:

Imagine Scholes demonstrating pinpoint passing in training then players at our level tried the same but were 10 yards away from their targets?

Never really understood this argument. Why on earth would Scholes expect our players to be as good as he was? And if we got a manager who wasn't a great player would he accept crap passing?

Edited by dannyboy55555

At end of the day it's not rocket science scholes with his background would give us alot of coverage possible investment he must of done his coaching badges and have bloody good contacts. We all see the support last Sunday and chanting. Give him a go. He knows football more than us all on hear

10 hours ago, robboman said:

Not sure if mentioned already but wouldn't scholes have a conflict of interest with his stake in Salford 

I wondered that too. To the extent I thought it was a non starter.
Can't see him giving that up to manage us.

31 minutes ago, singe said:

I wondered that too. To the extent I thought it was a non starter.
Can't see him giving that up to manage us.

Scholes was after the job when wellens got the role.

He must have had things in place for that scenario, I see no reason why it would be any different now.

It's a gamble whoever gets he job imo.

I think Wilds head will control his heart and he won't take the job for the security of his family, he is fully aware he could end up having to leave the club if it doesn't work out.

If scholes wants it, I would give it him.

A big gamble that could lift the club and maybe make us a little more attractive in a way to attract players, and may be more investment, possibly a few more bums on seats too.

If it doesn't work then so be it. 

17 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Scholes was after the job when wellens got the role.

He must have had things in place for that scenario, I see no reason why it would be any different now.

It's a gamble whoever gets he job imo.

I think Wilds head will control his heart and he won't take the job for the security of his family, he is fully aware he could end up having to leave the club if it doesn't work out.

If scholes wants it, I would give it him.

A big gamble that could lift the club and maybe make us a little more attractive in a way to attract players, and may be more investment, possibly a few more bums on seats too.

If it doesn't work then so be it. 

I was forgetting he declared he was interested and interviewed, in my mind it was speculation not confirmed. Very quiet this time (that could be good!)
I do wonder if all our financial issues since have put him off. It would be quite quick to appoint him I'd think.

21 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Can't imagine Scholes agreeing to anything other than full autonomy over transfers.

18 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Maybe AL would give more freedom to Scholes, otherwise it would be a stumbling block I agree

I'm gonna defend / side with [whatever you want to call it] Abdallah and his brother here in an attempt to be balanced.... one could argue that there is no evidence that they do not give a manager freedom to bring their own players in?

Presumably, the manager in situ uses his UK & Eire based contacts to bring in local players and AL and ML plunder the World/European leagues?

Last season;

Shez/Wright/Wellens: Wilson, Ruddy, Davies, Gardner, Hunt, Doyle, Bryan, Byrne, Benyu, McEleney

The Lemsagams: Placide, Omrani, Kyeremeh, Maouche, Nepo, Nazon, Moimbe, Menig, Zeus, Benteke

This season;

Wellens/Bunn/Rhodes: Baxter, Graham, O'Grady, Coke, Taylor, Miller, Iverson, Surridge, Lang, Palmer, Lyden

The Lemsagams: Branger, Missile, Sylla, 

Presumably Scholes doesn't know much about the French lower leagues so would welcome useful additions - if indeed that's what they turn out to be?

Edited by lookersstandandy

Know people who know Wildy. Came across him on nights out a number of years ago, nice fella. Really chuffed for him as many are.

All this bollocks about them playing for him, not sure. They would have been up for Fulham with that crowd and some overseas lads getting their first big taste of the famous FA cup come what may. The two other games should have been a reaction to letting Bunn down at Carlisle against poor teams. 

Wildy has not had reply's back from very non league jobs, he should be seen as a cult figure, given Tony P's gig as reward and then we move on. Latics is a very difficult job and you need someone who  ideally knows the job and the game inside out. Wildy doesn't know the pro game and has never been a manager of an adult side bar a few pub level teams. The next manager needs to tick one of those boxes.

Hero but I fear if given the gig permanently we could end up changing again at the end of the season. Not what we need.

If we were to gamble on someone who has never took the lead of a side I would be looking at Scholes or Clarke, both with an experienced number 2. Both should inspire both fans and players in different ways.

Just now, singe said:

I was forgetting he declared he was interested and interviewed, in my mind it was speculation not confirmed. Very quiet this time (that could be good!)
I do wonder if all our financial issues since have put him off. It would be quite quick to appoint him I'd think.

If I remember rightly it was in the media he had been interviewed, I know that's still not concrete evidence but it seemed widely reported at the time.

Back to now I Just think of all the managers mentioned scholes would lift the club and most fans. 

His status as a player and now pundit is huge. No matter what anybody says he was a top top player who played in a great team and under a great manager.

This doesn't mean he will make a good manager but it would be his first job and we would soon find out.

I remember a young Joe Royle being a new manager. That was worth the gamble.

8 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

I'm gonna defend / side with [whatever you want to call it] Abdallah and his brother here in an attempt to be balanced.... one could argue that there is no evidence that they do not give a manager freedom to bring their own players in?

Presumably, the manager in situ uses his UK & Eire based contacts to bring in local players and AL and ML plunder the World/European leagues?

Last season;

Shez/Wright/Wellens: Wilson, Ruddy, Davies, Gardner, Hunt, Doyle, Bryan, Byrne, Benyu, McEleney

The Lemsagams: Placide, Omrani, Kyeremeh, Maouche, Nepo, Nazon, Moimbe, Menig, Zeus, Benteke

This season;

Wellens/Bunn/Rhodes: Baxter, Graham, O'Grady, Coke, Taylor, Miller, Iverson, Surridge, Lang, Palmer, Lyden

Presumably Scholes doesn't know much about the French lower leagues so would welcome useful additions - if indeed that what they turn out to be?

Why would a manager have a problem with an owner providing players? It would only be an issue if the owner starts saying who to pick.

A lot of the prem managers do not pick who the club signs and brings in. Modern way of doing things.

Also I doubt there is a club in league two with better contacts across Europe than us. It's an advantage not a disadvantage.

9 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Last season;

This season;

Presumably Scholes doesn't know much about the French lower leagues so would welcome useful additions - if indeed that what they turn out to be?

That's fair but Sheridan certainly wasn't having any interference or players he hadn't chosen, I can't believe Scholes would be any different.

3 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

If I remember rightly it was in the media he had been interviewed, I know that's still not concrete evidence but it seemed widely reported at the time.

Back to now I Just think of all the managers mentioned scholes would lift the club and most fans. 

His status as a player and now pundit is huge. No matter what anybody says he was a top top player who played in a great team and under a great manager.

This doesn't mean he will make a good manager but it would be his first job and we would soon find out.

I remember a young Joe Royle being a new manager. That was worth the gamble.

I've seen in quoted since, googling it, so happy to accept he did go and get interviewd for it.
Scholes is the stand out for me too. In fact he is the only one that could lift us higher than PW has!
It might not work, but it is the least gambling gamble of all the manager options.
We've had enough rookie managers not work out since Joe to rule it out all but completely. The only exception is someone of Scholes calibre/affiliation to us for me.
I'd support PW 100% if he got it, but don't think it is the correct time for him. Yet.
I think we both agree the same.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

That's fair but Sheridan certainly wasn't having any interference or players he hadn't chosen, I can't believe Scholes would be any different.

....and equally one could argue he was being too dogmatic about it himself. There has to be a bit of give and take on both sides. Shez playing Gerrard & Clarke together and not giving Placide a try were, one could argue, examples of this.....? It was partly Shez's fault we were bottom after 7 games.

What the Lemsagams can't do, is ignore the opinion of the manager on the players they bring over before they are signed..... and they can't march into the dressing room gobbing off and undermining the manager.