11 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I don't know anything but common sense tells you we need him a lot more than he needs us, if he takes job then you assume it would be on his terms.

Have to agree but

Terms may change once he has had the job a while,  that's when issues may arise

21 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I don't know anything but common sense tells you we need him a lot more than he needs us, if he takes job then you assume it would be on his terms.

Not sure.....you have two people who have been successful in their own field. If AL wants Scholes and Scholes wants this job then they will reach a compromise. Scholes will know there isn't a "magic money tree" for player recruitment and will have seen what happened with Sheridan and won't want to go down that line and AL will, quite probably, let Scholes have a free hand on domestically sourced players so long as he gives full and fair consideration to AL's imports and why wouldn't he after Sunday now that AL hopefully knows a bit more about who and how the imports will fit in to the English game

Edited by mikejh45

I agree. I think Bury fans would agree also.   Claude Puel now favourite for next sacking. Read a few comments from Leics. fans. They couldnt understand why they didnt go for cup as they have nothing else to play for.   Also listened to talk on Latics "pinch me " season. Had forgotten we played 66 games that season. 12 games in 29 days toward end. 16 man squad. 6 players played over 60 games. Earl Barret played every minute of every game. Yet the prem complain of to many games.

6 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

Not sure.....you have two people who have been successful in their own field. If AL wants Scholes and Scholes wants this job then they will reach a compromise. Scholes will know there isn't a "magic money tree" for player recruitment and will have seen what happened with Sheridan and won't want to go down that line and AL will, quite probably, let Scholes have a free hand on domestically sourced players so long as he gives full and fair consideration to AL's imports and why wouldn't he after Sunday now that AL hopefully knows a bit more about who and how the imports will fit in to the English game

Hear what you saying but what you are saying is exactly why anybody with any pedigree will run a mile from the job.

1 hour ago, Clifford said:

Carrick was very average? Jesus.

Yes. Another opinion that the Yernited loving pundits have hammered down our throats for the past 10 years to the point that it has now become conventional wisdom. I’ve watched Carrick enough with my own eyes and he’s never stood out as anything other than bang average.

1 minute ago, mikejh45 said:

Why?.....if they looked at Sunday's performance and AL turns round to a potential manager and says "Look at Missilou, Branger-Engone and Nepo…..there are more of these that I can bring in"......why would those players be a turnoff?

If indeed that is possible....!?! I'm still far form convinced about Branger-Engone and let's see what this Sylla is like after a dozen games......?

One would like to think that Scholes ( should he genuinely be interested ) would have had a chat with Frankie.

you know, a kind of " what is this Abdallah guy like Frank ?"

"oh he's a great lad Paul,you grab the chance with both hands"

Just now, Ryan said:

Yes. Another opinion that the Yernited loving pundits have hammered down our throats for the past 10 years to the point that it has now become conventional wisdom. I’ve watched Carrick enough with my own eyes and he’s never stood out as anything other than bang average.

My opinion is that he was class player and if Ferguson didn't rate him highly, he wouldn't have stayed around for as long as he did playing the number of games that he did.

Bang average.....Jesus wept.

3 minutes ago, archiecat said:

One would like to think that Scholes ( should he genuinely be interested ) would have had a chat with Frankie.

you know, a kind of " what is this Abdallah guy like Frank ?"

"oh he's a great lad Paul,you grab the chance with both hands"

He could talk to some of the current players, such as Clarke or O'Grady and get a totally different viewpoint.

14 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

We're a mid table League 2 side with no discernible money why should we expect anyone with pedigree to be interested ?

I don't necessarily expect anything but it is probably quite telling that none of those at the top end of the market are currently in a job elsewhere.

Edited by deyres42

6 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

If indeed that is possible....!?! I'm still far form convinced about Branger-Engone and let's see what this Sylla is like after a dozen games......?

Maybe, just maybe, PW found a system to bring the best out of Branger-Engone hence the upturn in standards as opposed to the rigid 442 adopted by Bunn.

13 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I’d take 11 players to the same “bang average” standard as Carrick at Latics any day of the week👍🏻

41 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

I'm gonna defend / side with [whatever you want to call it] Abdallah and his brother here in an attempt to be balanced.... one could argue that there is no evidence that they do not give a manager freedom to bring their own players in?

Presumably, the manager in situ uses his UK & Eire based contacts to bring in local players and AL and ML plunder the World/European leagues?

Last season;

Shez/Wright/Wellens: Wilson, Ruddy, Davies, Gardner, Hunt, Doyle, Bryan, Byrne, Benyu, McEleney

The Lemsagams: Placide, Omrani, Kyeremeh, Maouche, Nepo, Nazon, Moimbe, Menig, Zeus, Benteke

This season;

Wellens/Bunn/Rhodes: Baxter, Graham, O'Grady, Coke, Taylor, Miller, Iverson, Surridge, Lang, Palmer, Lyden

The Lemsagams: Branger, Missile, Sylla, 

Presumably Scholes doesn't know much about the French lower leagues so would welcome useful additions - if indeed that's what they turn out to be?

I agree with your analysis, good points. IIRC it is the accepted wisdom that getting half the signings right is a good average. Even Fergie and Joe did nt really beat that.
On that basis
Shez/Wellens are 3/10 I put Hunt, Doyle & Bryan

Lemsagem  2/10 Maouche & Nepo
Wellens/Bunn are 3.5/10 (I've left out Palmer, good as he was) Iversen, Surridge, Lang, and Lyden was coming good

Lemsagem2  2/2 100% Branger, Missile (Sylla left off!)

Interesting. I'd say an honorurable draw!!

2 minutes ago, archiecat said:

He could Mike, but the nay's would probably outnumber the yay's 

Got to disagree...….the one's who would stick the knife in were not up to the task...….Bunn or Rhodes for example or those who thought that they could get away with what they wanted i.e. Byrne, Gerrard etc.

19 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

You are guessing again over AL's financial state.....none of us knows for certain.

Of course we do not know,  and I am sure we all hope he has something in reserve. Nut there have been a lot of indications he has not got ready access to funds now, and very few that he has.

40 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

He could talk to some of the current players, such as Clarke or O'Grady and get a totally different viewpoint.

....he could talk to O'Grady and Clarke and they still think he's a maniac. His behaviour in the last 12 months is more than less likely to have garnered him a reputation of someone to be wary of working for. You'd be deluding yourself if you thought any different.

38 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

Maybe, just maybe, PW found a system to bring the best out of Branger-Engone hence the upturn in standards as opposed to the rigid 442 adopted by Bunn.

....possibly... but we're only talking 3 games.... so let's see if he keeps it up..... at times he's looked a long way from being good enough.

30 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

Got to disagree...….the one's who would stick the knife in were not up to the task...….Bunn or Rhodes for example or those who thought that they could get away with what they wanted i.e. Byrne, Gerrard etc.

Add to that;

Philliskirk,

Ousmane Fane,

Craig Davies,

Courtney Duffus

The former kitman,

The media guy at now at Derby,

The former club photographer,

Simon Wood.

.... you're deluding yourself if you think everyone else is in the wrong.

46 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

You are guessing again over AL's financial state.....none of us knows for certain.

Given the budget restrictions he is responsible for setting, the fact we've paid wages late / not paid pension contributions & his mantra of "Slowly, slowly", I think one can safely assume we're not dealing with a multi-multi millionaire either capable of buying the assets of Brassbank and/or building us brand new facilities.....

Edited by lookersstandandy