48 minutes ago, 4froale said:

Wouldnt read into it too much. Not that im saying he isnt going to be appointed, but if i was in his shoes then I would of come along today. Probably just doing his homework.

Might have been scouting for Macc

All this talk of “experience” well a lot of that experience could be “failed” experience. Yes it could be a gamble appointing someone not experienced in senior football like PW but at the same time, that enthusiasm, passion and desire to do the job and fresh ideas might be the positive that outweighs the negatives of lack of experience. 

I get sick and tired of the lists of managers that gets trawled out when a job becomes available, why not get some new fresh blood into the game

38 minutes ago, Paul said:

All this talk of “experience” well a lot of that experience could be “failed” experience. Yes it could be a gamble appointing someone not experienced in senior football like PW but at the same time, that enthusiasm, passion and desire to do the job and fresh ideas might be the positive that outweighs the negatives of lack of experience. 

I get sick and tired of the lists of managers that gets trawled out when a job becomes available, why not get some new fresh blood into the game

Very true - the  only experienced managers likely to be looking for a job at Latics are ones that have been failures elsewhere.

52 minutes ago, Paul said:

Good point Pete... I mean Paul :chubb:

1 minute ago, Paul said:

😂😂 no, just someone bored of the usual merry go round of managers and would like to see some fresh managers and coaches on the scene

I agree but I also think Pete just isn't ready for it yet, looks to me like Clarke is pulling the strings anyway.

28 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I agree but I also think Pete just isn't ready for it yet, looks to me like Clarke is pulling the strings anyway.

I don't think Clarke is  the puppet master,  but ATM he is part of PW backroom ream..

Edited by laticsrblue

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Two thirds of managers only get one go at it. There's no shortage of fresh blood

7 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Why do you not think he is ready for it yet? When is a coach / manager ready for it if he doesn’t do the job to gain experience? 

Theres a coaching team in place plus looks like Clarke is also part of that giving his experience while still playing

12 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

It says he was interviewed in here.... but I can’t find ‘knocked back’ anywhere....?

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/17348766.confirmed-steve-watson-named-as-york-citys-new-manager/

Dave Flett, the reporter, was interviewed on bbc radio York and when asked about other candidates (ie rather than Steve Watson) and in particular Askey said (I can’t quote precise words but it was more or less this) “I’ve been told by sources inside the club that both he (Askey) and another former League 1 manager were considered but Steve Watson was very much the man that stood out” 

That seems like a rejection for whatever reason , whether financial or anything else. 

42 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Dave Flett, the reporter, was interviewed on bbc radio York and when asked about other candidates (ie rather than Steve Watson) and in particular Askey said (I can’t quote precise words but it was more or less this) “I’ve been told by sources inside the club that both he (Askey) and another former League 1 manager were considered but Steve Watson was very much the man that stood out” 

That seems like a rejection for whatever reason , whether financial or anything else. 

Do you remember when the Dazzler was the standout candidate for the BP job?

Not saying you are wrong but clubs can be somewhat economical with the truth :D

1 hour ago, LaticsPete said:

I can't imagine them coming out saying "we really wanted Askey but we didnt want to pay what he wanted, so unfortunately had to settle for Steve Watson"

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

Is there?

This is the coaching staff about a month or so ago.

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/teams/first-team-staff/

At least half of them are off the wage bill and all we've added to that is some bloke called Hale, who I'd never previously heard of. 

Wild would struggle with experience around him but the situation at the moment is a farce, by his own admission he's not ready for it and we shouldn't let a couple of results influence a decision going forward, we need to do what's best for the club and for me appointing Wild the cheap option would be a huge mistake. 

30 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I can't imagine them coming out saying "we really wanted Askey but we didnt want to pay what he wanted, so unfortunately had to settle for Steve Watson"

Watson got it on merit.

Equally Askey is hardly going to come out and say "I missed out on a job at a level 6 club after previously managing two clubs in the FL" is he. 

22 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

This is the coaching staff about a month or so ago.

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/teams/first-team-staff/

At least half of them are off the wage bill and all we've added to that is some bloke called Hale, who I'd never previously heard of. 

Wild would struggle with experience around him but the situation at the moment is a farce, by his own admission he's not ready for it and we shouldn't let a couple of results influence a decision going forward, we need to do what's best for the club and for me appointing Wild the cheap option would be a huge mistake. 

Has he admitted he’s not ready or is it more that he needs job security? 

If we appoint an inexperienced manager, it will invariably be a player who has retired in the last few year such as Wellens, Dunn, Johnson, Dickov. If we employ someone who has managed before, we'll probably end up with someone who has had a bit of success over two or three year but then seemingly failed thereafter or someone who inspires no confidence and has been at at least half a dozen clubs. Or we can try and be a bit clever and convince someone like Wild to take it.

Nonetheless, our pool from which to chose from is limited and so what we expect from whoever has to be curbed. We've just got rid of Bunn, with considerable backing by supporters, despite him having the highest win percentage, other than Sheridan, for nearly 20 year. Sad truth is that unless our new person secures a play-off season in their first attempt, the backing will quickly fizzle.

I have no problem with putting Wild in place until close season, but he'd be a little silly to accept. His Fulham victory may have saved him from what our last dozen have had from the board and a good section of the supporters (some deserved to go mind).

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Is there?

Yes

Caretaker Manager - Pete Wild - A Licence

Coach - Chris Millington - A Licence

Goalkeeping Coach - Steve Hale - A Licence

Fitness Coach - Stuart Vance

Physio - Stuart Irwin