I had it in mind that with the timing of Bunn's removal, AL would have some sort of plan in place that would possibly feature a coach that he'd worked with previously in some capacity - even if it was on a short-term basis. I thought it was something he was angling for from the start.

If we're in a position of trying to persuade Clarke to take it (and knowing what he knows, I'd be surprised if he took it without a long list of assurances), then its' difficult to give it a positive spin. 

5 hours ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Just to fact-check this assertion...

2017-18

Coventry - 6th (P)

Swindon - 9th

Port Vale - 20th

Chesterfield - 24th (R)

2016-17

Doncaster - 3rd (P)

Blackpool - 7th (P)

Colchester - 8th

Crewe - 17th

2015-16

Leyton Orient - 8th

Notts County - 17th

Yeovil - 19th

Crawley - 20th

2014-15

Shrewsbury - 2nd (P)

Stevenage - 6th

Carlisle - 20th

Tranmere - 24th (R)

2013-14

Scunthorpe - 2nd (P)

Bury - 12th

Portsmouth - 13th

Hartlepool - 19th

So over the last five seasons,  only 6/20 (30%) of relegated teams reached either the playoffs or were automatically promoted in their first season. 9/20 (45%) finished 17th or lower...

How many points closer to the playoffs do you think we should be?

My view, for what it's worth, is that we're about where we should be. On average attendances, we're 13th, and by all accounts we cut our wage bill fairly sharply over the summer. We tend to beat teams below us in the league, and not beat teams above us. At the start of the season, some pundits were tipping us for relegation (FourFourTwo had us 24th; Guardian as relegation candidates) - largely because of our off-the-field issues - whilst others thought we'd fare slightly better.

We're a mid-table team, with mid-table players, mid-table attendances, and up until Boxing Day a steady if unspectacular manager. That's not to say we shouldn't aim higher than that, but to "expect" us to be further up the league than we are seems a little ill-founded.

Fair play with the research. I was assuming across the leagues. But I don’t think we’ve played 12 teams better than us. 

22 minutes ago, IceStationLatic said:

I’m dreadfully sorry but a Clarke and Wild double act does hold appeal to me....

... after one game. 

They care. 

One of them looked like he didn't at Carlisle, he'd better hope the players don't down tools for him in the same way in a month or two or he might find himself unemployed. 

Only read to page 8! But for Christ sake, in my opinion we’re doing well and pretty much on track for the playoffs with a bit of investment. We beat teams below us and give teams above us a good game! We lost 6-0 complete shock and bounced back with a 1-4. Doom or gloom is far to early ! We have a very very good chance of the play offs if not better. Anyone thinking less is far too negative!

51 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Only read to page 8! But for Christ sake, in my opinion we’re doing well and pretty much on track for the playoffs with a bit of investment. We beat teams below us and give teams above us a good game! We lost 6-0 complete shock and bounced back with a 1-4. Doom or gloom is far to early ! We have a very very good chance of the play offs if not better. Anyone thinking less is far too negative!

We do have a chance of the play offs you are right but only if we get this appointment right and make the right moves in January.

Guest Stanley30
1 hour ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

My brother's reaction to hearing the AL and Clarke meeting:

"Is there a recording of their conversation?

AL:  "So tell me about your credentials."

PC: "Well, I'm already on the payroll and I've never used WhatsApp."

AL: "You start immediately.""

Glad this was the most important thing u had to do straight after the fireworks 

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

Why do owner feel the need to pop to elk mill when they have a perfectly good office on site away from preying eyes?

Ha. Yeah, it’s not like there is a ‘mole’ working around that office feeding rumours and stories to all and sundry.