Been away with work and I guess still no news.

Is it this Friday (8th) when the EFL decide on Scholes’ conflict of interest or has it moved on since then?

Spotted last night that Newport won so that’s £125,000 we missed out on.  Suspect that may be a decider on the Scholes situation with PW remaining in charge as we limp across the line in May.  

Is this now it? Swapping relegation battles in League 1 with mid-table mediocrity in League 2.  

How our club has fallen and I feel sorry for the younger generations whose experience of support has been just this.  Fortunate for me, I started supporting when we were in a similar situation but at least I got to see our promotion, being Premier League founders and Royles team first hand.  Then the decline over 25 years........ I keep promising to my daughter that one day we’ll see success.  She went to the gym in this year’s away shirt last night so at least she still cares

10 hours ago, latics22 said:

I think a simple down vote expressed an opinion, without words. Now words will be spoken and more petty arguments will arise.

The exception people took to downboats was always entertaining. 

My favourites are the ones who revenge downboat by finding a historic post and randomly downboating that. 

Give the petty people what they want!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Been away with work and I guess still no news.

Is it this Friday (8th) when the EFL decide on Scholes’ conflict of interest or has it moved on since then?

Spotted last night that Newport won so that’s £125,000 we missed out on.  Suspect that may be a decider on the Scholes situation with PW remaining in charge as we limp across the line in May.  

Is this now it? Swapping relegation battles in League 1 with mid-table mediocrity in League 2.  

How our club has fallen and I feel sorry for the younger generations whose experience of support has been just this.  Fortunate for me, I started supporting when we were in a similar situation but at least I got to see our promotion, being Premier League founders and Royles team first hand.  Then the decline over 25 years........ I keep promising to my daughter that one day we’ll see success.  She went to the gym in this year’s away shirt last night so at least she still cares

A meeting has been arranged with EFL for tomorrow apparently regarding his conflict of interest, so should know better on Friday🤞

I have to admit to being a little unclear as to what the real problem is. Scholes holds ten percent of the shares in Salford, and as a result cannot become an employee of Oldham without lengthy consultation and approval from EFL. Butt holds ten percent of the shares in Salford, but can be an employee of Man U, and from what little research l've been able to conduct, did not have to go through the process that is being demanded of Scholes, or if he did it was a matter of days. 

Can't imagine why the difference.

3 minutes ago, parigby said:

I have to admit to being a little unclear as to what the real problem is. Scholes holds ten percent of the shares in Salford, and as a result cannot become an employee of Oldham without lengthy consultation and approval from EFL. Butt holds ten percent of the shares in Salford, but can be an employee of Man U, and from what little research l've been able to conduct, did not have to go through the process that is being demanded of Scholes, or if he did it was a matter of days. 

Could be that the Salford issue isn't much of an issue at all.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, parigby said:

Being employed to manage the first team is different to being employed to manage the Academy. I'm sure he could man a turnstile at BP and the EFL wouldn't bat an eyelid.

11 minutes ago, parigby said:

I think employee and first team manager are a bit different. Particularly as it is entirely possible that we may be in the same division in the near future (either way...) 

15 minutes ago, parigby said:

He did coaching sessions, he may not even have been an employee just a contractor/zero hours, under Fergie for 6 months and with Moyes and Giggs but that was before they took over Salford. Still, as others have said, if it was Academy manager he'd have bene appointed by now. First Team is obviosuly entirely different, examples are easy to see.

1 hour ago, parigby said:

Because we could be playing Salford in the league next season

2 hours ago, ghostofcecere said:

Because we could be playing Salford in the league next season

Surley this is only a problem if Scholes is seeking to retain his stake in Salford City. If he is, then matters could be reviewed further in the summer (should this become an issue) and Scholes should be offered a 6 month deal given his instance on this. I guess there is a reluctance on both sides for a 6 month deal and people are trying to have there cake and eat it , hence the issues for the FA and EFL (only my guess like).

If he's not prepared to relinquish his 10% then do we really want to go down this route with Butt aswell owning 10% too.

It's pretty inevitable that with the backing Salford have they are going to be a football league team in the very near future do we want to be faced with the very realistic prospect of a critical game against Salford where promotion or relegation is on the line when we have the 1st team management owning 20% of the club we are directly competing against.

If they are willing to sacrifice their shares then obviously I'd happily take them but if not then we really should be looking elsewhere regardless of what the EFL or FA say.

Edited by GlossopLatic

5 hours ago, Midsblue said:

Nah, don't worry about it. Getting relegated was the best thing for the club, it'll allow us to rebuild so we can go back into League One a rejuvenated club and make a challenge for promotion to The Championship

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

If he's not prepared to relinquish his 10% then do we really want to go down this route with Butt aswell owning 10% too.

It's pretty inevitable that with the backing Salford have they are going to be a football league team in the very near future do we want to be faced with the very realistic prospect of a critical game against Salford where promotion or relegation is on the line when we have the 1st team management owning 20% of the club we are directly competing against.

If they are willing to sacrifice their shares then obviously I'd happily take them but if not then we really should be looking elsewhere regardless of what the EFL or FA say.

With no insider info I’d stll be confident enough to say Butt won’t come here 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, parigby said:

Especially given the fact that United can loan or maybe more importantly recall players to Salford or other teams in that same League. 

We're not even in the same league yet and might never be