2 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

And Nepo and Maouche and Missile.

And COG's stepover dragbacks

I like the first three players you've mentioned but there's no way Maouche nor Missilou could be described as having standout seasons, both are still way too inconsistent.

I'll give you Nepo though.

As for O'Grady he's shite, nice lad but absolutely toothless for 90% of the season and I'd be staggered if he's Scholes preferred starting option.

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

Very excited about the appointment 

but...

It’s a disgrace that the EFL are allowing him to keep his shares in Salford.

The EFL own rules state that you can own 10% of another club as long as you can show its an investment interest only and you do not have active involvement in running of the team affairs etc.

Scholes has obviously proven that so is within the rules as laid down.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, losesome said:

The EFL own rules state that you can own 10% of another club as long as you can show its an investment interest only and you do not have active involvement in running of the team affairs etc.

If that's the case then that should end discussion on this point.

[Gives head a wobble and thinks, what am I saying?]

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

As for O'Grady he's shite, nice lad but absolutely toothless for 90% of the season and I'd be staggered if he's Scholes preferred starting option.

I guess everybody needs a scapegoat and O’Grady is clearly yours ,  but you need to look at the bigger picture, his role in the team hold ball and link up play , and (until his sacking) FB had started to develop him in the player he can be (which is evident by his recent goal scoring form) 

19 minutes ago, mad4it said:

I guess everybody needs a scapegoat and O’Grady is clearly yours ,  but you need to look at the bigger picture, his role in the team hold ball and link up play , and (until his sacking) FB had started to develop him in the player he can be (which is evident by his recent goal scoring form) 

Scapegoat? We all have players we rate and don't rate and opinions can be polar opposites.

I'm just saying it how I personally see it, he was shit first time round and hasn't come back any better, he's had a purple patch but that's about it, our fans fascination with big immobile lumps up front is weird as is the notion the likes of O'Grady somehow make someone like Surridge a better player, let's see if someone like Scholes bases the attacking threat around him I very much doubt it.

Playing devils advocate here because I'd rather he sold the shares back to his mates while he is our manager.

But he can't force players to be demotivated. If he picks the strongest team then you would expect them to be motivated enough to compete atleast in any game players professional pride should takeover in such situations anyway.

3 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Doubt Scholes gives two shits about Salford really, Lim and the Nevilles are the drivers there, the authorities obviously happy enough so bit odd that people are trying to come up with wildly hypothetical scenarios.

Well he obviously cares enough not to just say -if there is a problem I will sell my share. 

This has led to several weeks of indecision during which we have gone out of the cup and lost a few league games-transformed the season really now.

3 hours ago, losesome said:

I suspect people’s opinions would’ve been very different on the 5th May last year if Lee Bowyer had a 10% shareholding in Rochdale, that’s all I’m saying...

I’m glad the EFL saw sense.  You only had to watch that documentary on Salford to realise Scholes was simply a shareholder and its Neville pulling the strings there.  

Unless it’s Scholes dictated the term, hopefully we give him longer than 18 months as manager and remain patient.  Even if it takes longer than this season to make an impact, it’s next season and the season after we need to measure him on.

Both Scholes and Priest are highly regarding in football.  Priest will deliver the experience that Scholes current lacks as a coach / manager and in future transfer windows we can capitalise on quality youngsters on the cheap or freebie loans.

Frankly Im not that fussed if we become a feeder club for Man Utd and loan in 3 or 4 of their their players each year.  If it benefits us and we get promoted back to League 1 then Championship, then that’s more important.

Lemsagam and his brother and a great opportunity now to propose off the coat tails of these two.  I just hope they don’t interfere and Scholes has final say on who comes in and who plays.

• Like 5

Are some fans seriously expecting a problem for us in games v Salford simply due to Scholes having a small ownership percentage?  Really? 

Players and managers come come up against teams they have literally loved all of their lives without a hint of conflict in their desire to win against them.  A small financial interest in Salford isn’t going to represent a conflict in the mind or preparation for millionaire Paul Scholes any more than a cup game v Man United would.

He’s a winner. He will want to win every game he is involved in, even more so against Salford or Man U. 

It’s a non-issue.  Seems to me that Latics fans are so used to finding a negative or problem at every turn, that they can do nothing else any more. 

Edited by kowenicki
  • Like 6

I too like the fact Mick Priest is (allegedly) going to be his number 2.

I think he'd only coached kids when he was here but ended up 1st team coach at Fulham under Meulensteen and has then managed and assistant managed in Norway, winning promotion as a caretaker manager - he might get the chance to do the same again in a month or two.... 

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

Are some fans seriously expecting a problem for us in games v Salford simply due to Scholes having a small ownership percentage?  Really? 

It's just the Keith Lards amongst us. They love a rule and the opportunity to wax lyrical about one, use some big words & jargon. 

And, in the end, they are almost always wrong ... :lol: 

Edited by HarryBosch

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Scapegoat? We all have players we rate and don't rate and opinions can be polar opposites.

I'm just saying it how I personally see it, he was shit first time round and hasn't come back any better, he's had a purple patch but that's about it, our fans fascination with big immobile lumps up front is weird as is the notion the likes of O'Grady somehow make someone like Surridge a better player, let's see if someone like Scholes bases the attacking threat around him I very much doubt it.

The problem faced by both Bunn and Wild) is thanks to AL, they have very little option but to play either Miller or O’Grady up front ie players like Duffus frozen out and forced to train with the youth team . As for O’Grady, you can’t knock the effect he puts in every game, which is something you can’t say for some of the players (like Baxter)