34 minutes ago, Oldham82 said:

Sol Campbell will be good I think hope he gets job. Bound to have usefull contacts too. A well recognised player awsum centre half in his day. Not far behind tony adams and John Terry as England's best.

30 minutes ago, Fruitygoo said:

Better than Tony Adams in my book

5 minutes ago, Handsy said:

Better than terry in mine

Not as good as either Earl Barrett or Richard Jobson in mine. 

The fact that Des Walker kept Earl Barrett out of the England side puts him ahead too. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Oldham82 said:

Earl barret exellent . Dennis Irwin would be close to United's greatest 11 brilliant player. No  for me adams over Campbell for centre defence.  Jobson I'd have as oldhams best awsum defender

Andy Linegan was also a mega centre half, remember when we signed him from Leeds.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldham82 said:

Earl barret exellent . Dennis Irwin would be close to United's greatest 11 brilliant player. No  for me adams over Campbell for centre defence.  Jobson I'd have as oldhams best awsum defender

As good as Jobson was IMO Earl Barrett and Paul Warhurst were our best ever CB pairing.

Paul Warhurst was probably the most comfortable footballer I’ve ever seen at BP.

Jobson would be on the bench!

That would have been an awesome line up in a three!

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

As good as Jobson was IMO Earl Barrett and Paul Warhurst were our best ever CB pairing.

Paul Warhurst was probably the most comfortable footballer I’ve ever seen at BP.

Now we get to argue who’s less shit or ones better than the other as the others a fat fuck etc. Sad times indeed. 

• Like 1

And we find ourselves alongside the mighty Salford, and one division below Accrington, Rochdale, Bury, Burton Albion and fucking Fleetwood!!

This period runs the re-election era pretty close simply because of how far we have fallen.

Surely we are due some success....aren’t we??

• Like 3

How good would we have been if we’d kept Redfearn, Irwin, and Marshall!! I think we would have survived in the Premiership with ease, maybe even top 10!

However, as good as we were, it was 30yrs ago...players are fitter, quicker, and technically better nowadays.

It was a fantastic team in the day but things have moved on.

9 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

How good would we have been if we’d kept Redfearn, Irwin, and Marshall!! I think we would have survived in the Premiership with ease, maybe even top 10!

However, as good as we were, it was 30yrs ago...players are fitter, quicker, and technically better nowadays.

It was a fantastic team in the day but things have moved on.

But so would they...

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

Absolutely. Warhurst was the most talented player I have seen wear the shirt. 

26 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Absolutely. Warhurst was the most talented player I have seen wear the shirt. 

Class player, am I right in thinking we never played him as a striker, a position he later had so much success in?

Just now, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I thought we did. I thought it was a Big Joe thing. Wasn’t it the same with Marshall ?

Don’t think so. Just Marshall. Warhurst only became a striker after joining Sheff Wed didn’t he? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I thought we did. I thought it was a Big Joe thing. Wasn’t it the same with Marshall ?

Don't ever remember playing him up front for Latics