2 hours ago, al_bro said:

If that's what he thinks a club like Macc. needs, he needs to pay for it out of his own pocket. These foreign training camps, don't work any better than local friendly's. In fact the married players with kids probably prefer to stay at home. In our case, and probably Maccs. as well, quite a few players are signed after they would be back home.

Except they do. Especially ones at altitude with warm weather. 

20 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Except they do. Especially ones at altitude with warm weather. 

Sorry Ben I don't buy into that. It may work for athletes or cyclists, but footballers predominantly need to work on their skills or team play. 

3 hours ago, al_bro said:

If that's what he thinks a club like Macc. needs, he needs to pay for it out of his own pocket. These foreign training camps, don't work any better than local friendly's. In fact the married players with kids probably prefer to stay at home. In our case, and probably Maccs. as well, quite a few players are signed after they would be back home.

There's a man who's not married😁

• Like 2

19 hours ago, disjointed said:

Sorry Ben I don't buy into that. It may work for athletes or cyclists, but footballers predominantly need to work on their skills or team play. 

They do. But if the likes of Jack Byrne had better cardiovascular fitness he wouldn't have had to play against pub sides in Ireland. 

If altitude training has no effect why do the likes of City go to Switzerland on a regular basis. 

Trust me the benefit is there. It might not be as useful for other sports but there is definitely a benefit. (See Ecuador's home record in internationals). 

4 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

They do. But if the likes of Jack Byrne had better cardiovascular fitness he wouldn't have had to play against pub sides in Ireland. 

If altitude training has no effect why do the likes of City go to Switzerland on a regular basis. 

Trust me the benefit is there. It might not be as useful for other sports but there is definitely a benefit. (See Ecuador's home record in internationals). 

Based on this shouldn't we have a decent away record as we do have the second highest ground in the country? Ahh but we train at Chapel Road.

35 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Based on this shouldn't we have a decent away record as we do have the second highest ground in the country? Ahh but we train at Chapel Road.

Benefits of altitude tend to start at around 1500m. I'm sure all decent pub quizzers know there is no where in the UK or Ireland that high. 

Edited by rudemedic

42 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Benefits of altitude tend to start at around 1500m. I'm sure all decent pub quizzers know there is no where in the UK or Ireland that high. 

I may be wrong, but don't most clubs, especially in L1 and 2 go to Portugal or Spain usually at sea level. It's supposed to be for team bonding as well as training, and if like us, the whole team is not their because recruiting has not been completed, it's pointless. The top Prem clubs just go off on lucrative tours to promote their brand.

29 minutes ago, al_bro said:

I may be wrong, but don't most clubs, especially in L1 and 2 go to Portugal or Spain usually at sea level. It's supposed to be for team bonding as well as training, and if like us, the whole team is not their because recruiting has not been completed, it's pointless. The top Prem clubs just go off on lucrative tours to promote their brand.

Yep. But hotels in Spain and Portugal with the right sort of training facilities at sea level are fairly plentiful. 

Facilities at altitude (some of which are in Spain) are far less common and as others have already said are used by more than football. Keep an eye out over this pre-season for the number of reports about Top European clubs playing / training at altitude. 

I cannot see the team going away on a training camp because to book something like that I’d imagine you need to do so a number of weeks in advance. At the moment there is no manager and backroom team and no new signings and it’s nearly June. 

Id just be happy to see some decisions made on who is in charge

Just now, deyres42 said:

German? Sounds like some very muddled thinking is going on behind the scenes.

There will be good and not so good, as in any appointment . 

The good German appointments in the EFL last season included

Daniel Stendel at barnsley and

Daniel Farke at Norwich 

both of whom got promotion