11 minutes ago, stevesidg said:

There will be good and not so good, as in any appointment . 

The good German appointments in the EFL last season included

Daniel Stendel at barnsley and

Daniel Farke at Norwich 

both of whom got promotion 

Just wondering how you go from Paul Scholes to Pete Wild to a German coach. How do we know where to look for him?

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Just wondering how you go from Paul Scholes to Pete Wild to a German coach. How do we know where to look for him?

Unless they are still talking Jonker - Dutch but with German experience

2 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

AL says he's already spoken to/met 3,4 or 5 potential head coaches but will take his time because its very delicate as he doesn't want to appointment the wrong one.

Also said he won't sign anyone new until head coach is in place. Let's see if he sticks to that! 

20 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

AL says he's already spoken to/met 3,4 or 5 potential head coaches but will take his time because its very delicate as he doesn't want to appointment the wrong one.

If only he'd thought of that before.

I found it strange that he's made the point of making it a "head coach" position and brought in his brother as "sporting director" but then repeatedly referred to the position as "manager" for the rest of the interview. Also commented about bringing in his players in to add value to the squad (I took this as monetary, rather than ability).

I can only really think he's done it so any incoming "head coach" can't moan when he has no say on bringing players in.

How would you define the difference between a Manager and a Head Coach? Manager signs players he wants, picks his team and tactics, Head Coach just coaches a team of players signed by owner and has less say in team and tactics?

13 minutes ago, Paul said:

How would you define the difference between a Manager and a Head Coach? Manager signs players he wants, picks his team and tactics, Head Coach just coaches a team of players signed by owner and has less say in team and tactics?

The head coach should still have complete autonomy over team selection and tactics.

A head coach is often picked based on the style of football they employ fitting the club philosophy/identity, but specific tactical decisions should still rest with them without fear of interference from above.

Abdallah, currently, is not following the model. 

4 minutes ago, Ryan said:

The head coach should still have complete autonomy over team selection and tactics.

A head coach is often picked based on the style of football they employ fitting the club philosophy/identity, but specific tactical decisions should still rest with them without fear of interference from above.

Luckily we've got a Sporting Director to bridge that gap...

22 minutes ago, Ryan said:

So Scholes should really have been offered a job as head coach and not manager?

4 hours ago, Ryan said:

So as a Head Coach AL and ML would sign the players but the Head Coach would coach the players your saying

What style of football was there last season as if I’m honest, I couldn’t see a defined style in our play as such, it seemed a bit of passing and a bit of going direct, I couldn't say we were defined one way or the other. Perhaps there will be a way this coming season 

The way AL has been going about things to this point, I'd say him and ML want to be in charge of player recruitment, team selection and tactics, but they are looking for someone to carry the can when things go tits up.

Edited by Hometownclub
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Paul said:

So as a Head Coach AL and ML would sign the players but the Head Coach would coach the players your saying

What style of football was there last season as if I’m honest, I couldn’t see a defined style in our play as such, it seemed a bit of passing and a bit of going direct, I couldn't say we were defined one way or the other. Perhaps there will be a way this coming season 

A head coach would want players signed who would fit into his style of play, whether it  be a passing, direct or long ball game.

He would have avaibable players who could be rotated, so team selection wouldn't be much of a problem as they all would know their roles.

We will see what this style will be when the first  new signings appear.

Personally, I can see it to being fast paced with the emphasis on wide men.

Edited by BP1960

54 minutes ago, Hometownclub said:

The way AL has been going about things to this point, I'd say him and ML want to be in charge of player recruitment, team selection and tactics, but they are looking for someone to carry the can when things go tits up.

Agree and that is the main reason why anyone with a decent reputation won't throw their hat in the ring.