F.C Oldham Athletic

Out of interest, does anyone (The Trust, maybe?) know if there is a blueprint in place to form a phoenix club if/when this all goes to pot?

Do we have the personnel to drive it?  Or the know-how? Or the enthusiasm??

Is fan-owned an option?  Think that'd be preferable to having anyone involved who's had anything to do with the shambolic state of affairs we're currently in..

7 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

We couldn’t scrape together £40k for a scoreboard 😂 in your dreams lads. 

I wasn't going to give money to something I thought the owners should be buying. It was also not clear who was going to own it. 

Completely different set of circumstances for a phoenix club. I'm sure there are others who have the same view. 

10 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

We couldn’t scrape together £40k for a scoreboard 😂 in your dreams lads. 

The Trust have this "war chest", don't they?  I'd can't really see the point in them spending it on the club in it's current guise if it's pretty much down the pan anyway..

Besides, things might be different if the club went to the wall.  We raised a fairly substantial amount in the post-Moore close-season.

12 minutes ago, JoeP said:

The Trust have this "war chest", don't they?  I'd can't really see the point in them spending it on the club in it's current guise if it's pretty much down the pan anyway..

Besides, things might be different if the club went to the wall.  We raised a fairly substantial amount in the post-Moore close-season.

Its a ‘war chest’ that will get us all a few games at the local paint ball.  It’s peanuts. 

This would never happen, and it certainly should never happen while oafc is still in existence.

It's not a game of champ man where you can press reload game if you lose in the cup final. 

It is wise to have a war chest I agree. But under no circumstances should we end up in a situation where fc United and United have found themselves. ( mk and Wimbledon is slightly different. 

I'll support the current guise til my/it's dying day. Only on its death bed would I support a Phoenix club

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, philliggi said:

This would never happen, and it certainly should never happen while oafc is still in existence.

It's not a game of champ man where you can press reload game if you lose in the cup final. 

It is wise to have a war chest I agree. But under no circumstances should we end up in a situation where fc United and United have found themselves. ( mk and Wimbledon is slightly different. 

I'll support the current guise til my/it's dying day. Only on its death bed would I support a Phoenix club

No one’s talking about setting a club up while we still have Latics. 

7 minutes ago, philliggi said:

Agree on all fronts and I can't see it ever being like the two examples you've used.

But there needs to be a plan so Oldham Athletic Football Club (and by that, I mean the fans and community (see Bobby Robson quote..)) keep going, if the current club goes to the wall.

• Like 1

FC United of Manchester have the blueprint but I can't see OAFC going out of business.  An administration or two looks likely but you would still end up with a club to support outside the football league playing who knows where as houses populate Boundary Park.

12 minutes ago, Hands on said:

FC United of Manchester have the blueprint but I can't see OAFC going out of business.  An administration or two looks likely but you would still end up with a club to support outside the football league playing who knows where as houses populate Boundary Park.

What would be the point of administration?

43 minutes ago, Hands on said:

FC United of Manchester have the blueprint....

If you can guarantee to install somebody to steer the club who is completely transparent, who can honestly recruit without cronyism, who won't get caught with their hands in the till, who understands that it is better to please some fans than none of them, who listens to and considers criticism, who doesn't sell out at the first opportunity - and the fans can guarantee that whatever the chairperson says is final, that the fans understand that they're sometimes going to have to get stuck in and volunteer at every level in the running of the club - knowing that they're must expect no extra favour in return - or must not accept any favour that could be interpreted as privilege by other fans, and fully support the quite frankly life-sapping AGM meeting and motions (£3000 for those analytics vest things? Really? We can barely put the lights on, and we crowdfund these?) whilst making sure that the boardroom of volunteers are doing their jobs, paying the bills, managing legislation, advertising, selling, training, sourcing ethically...and on and on and on...

3 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I have never come across a single individual, never mind a credible one, who has made any significant noise about being willing to put the hard yards in to set up a new club should the worst happen. And I'm talking time, not money. 

Same here - and that's the real concern.

I hope, if it came to the crunch, a group would show themselves.  We've got a bigger support-base than the likes of Scarborough, Darlington, Halifax, Chester and Hereford.  If they can find people with the enthusiasm amongst their smaller pool of fans, then surely we can too?

Then again, maybe we can't.

25 minutes ago, Matt said:

If you can guarantee to install somebody to steer the club who is completely transparent, who can honestly recruit without cronyism, who won't get caught with their hands in the till, who understands that it is better to please some fans than none of them, who listens to and considers criticism, who doesn't sell out at the first opportunity - and the fans can guarantee that whatever the chairperson says is final, that the fans understand that they're sometimes going to have to get stuck in and volunteer at every level in the running of the club - knowing that they're must expect no extra favour in return - or must not accept any favour that could be interpreted as privilege by other fans, and fully support the quite frankly life-sapping AGM meeting and motions (£3000 for those analytics vest things? Really? We can barely put the lights on, and we crowdfund these?) whilst making sure that the boardroom of volunteers are doing their jobs, paying the bills, managing legislation, advertising, selling, training, sourcing ethically...and on and on and on...

Have a feeling that this post might now be the closest thing to a blueprint we have..

13 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Have a feeling that this post might now be the closest thing to a blueprint we have..

We wouldn't have to follow the FC United their club was set up because they wanted a say in running the club in a sort of utopian democracy where everyone got a say. AFC Wimbledon maybe a better example. I think most people would support a Phoenix club but would just want to be fans they wouldn't want to run it.

Personally while I want the club to take fans concerns seriously I don't expect them to pander to us and I don't really want "a say" I'd rather just be a fan and I think the majority think this way.

You would get people supporting it if some people were prepared to build it.

Edited by GlossopLatic