F.C Oldham Athletic

25 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Debatable in the long term. 

To a point but anyone who thinks we are a bigger club than Wigan now is deluded I'm afraid.  There is no measure on which anyone could  look objectively at the two clubs and conclude that we are bigger or even have more potential than Wigan.

Based on average crowds over a reasonably long period of time, trophies won, league status, facilities.... there is only one "winner", painful though it is to admit it.

22 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

10m would have bought the lot and 10m a year would have had us in the championship easily. 

What;s the debt now?  £8mish?  He paid (allegedly) £3m for what he got and that didn't include the north stand so unless he had negotiated very well (and there's not much evidence he is good at that) then £10m wouldn't have bought the lot by any means

41 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

To a point but anyone who thinks we are a bigger club than Wigan now is deluded I'm afraid.  There is no measure on which anyone could  look objectively at the two clubs and conclude that we are bigger or even have more potential than Wigan.

Based on average crowds over a reasonably long period of time, trophies won, league status, facilities.... there is only one "winner", painful though it is to admit it.

Built on the strength of a great rugby club though.

I couldn’t think of anything worse than supporting a Phoenix club. If Latics go bust, (which I obviously hope doesn’t happen) then I’ll become an armchair watcher of football, with no obligations to attend a game on a freezing Tuesday night. 

Edited by PlayItLivo

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Yeah, but on "founding members of the Premier League," it's 1-0 to us. So we win. 

If, God forbid, the club folded, there is no way I would support a Phoenix club. It just wouldn't feel right after all these years. I'd probably go and support MUFC.

Er, that's Mangotsfield United, not what some of you may have thought.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JoeP said:

So if the club in it's current guise went bust and disappeared from the face of the earth, you don't think there should be a contingency plan to build a replacement up from the bottom?

Why are we talking as if it's some impending scenario?

And to answer that specific question. No, given what we have been put through the last 20 years I don't believe the town would have the appetite for it to grow to become a football league club again. It would be doomed to the NWCFL for eternity.

Just go and support Mossley or Ashton. My loyalty is to our Oldham Athletic in its current form under whoever stewardship. Liquidation? Anything after that I couldn't care less

1 hour ago, Goal89 said:

Why are we talking as if it's some impending scenario?

I desperately hope we're not, but it seems the club is in a freefall started by Corney and sped up by AL.  What's the harm in preparing for the worst?

1 hour ago, Goal89 said:

And to answer that specific question. No, given what we have been put through the last 20 years I don't believe the town would have the appetite for it to grow to become a football league club again. It would be doomed to the NWCFL for eternity.

It's arguable that the town doesn't have the appetite for a football league club now.  Many say winning football will bring the fans back.  That just seems to be getting further and further away at the moment.

1 hour ago, Goal89 said:

Just go and support Mossley or Ashton. My loyalty is to our Oldham Athletic in its current form under whoever stewardship. Liquidation? Anything after that I couldn't care less

Fair enough.  Many, I hope, would feel differently.  Done right and keeping the connection to the current club might even re-ignite some people's passion.

Edited by JoeP

4 minutes ago, jbroyton said:

Has this been cancelled now?

Only until the next defeat or the next time the tea lady’s towels are repossessed. Love a good overreaction on here. We lose - we are going down - we win -we don’t know where the next loss will come. People say this Club has been rotten to the core for years and years. The new chairman gets rid of the same old characters that have presided over it and he’s a cunt. 

Edited by simplythemostimportantkick

1 hour ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Only until the next defeat or the next time the tea lady’s towels are repossessed. Love a good overreaction on here. We lose - we are going down - we win -we don’t know where the next loss will come. People say this Club has been rotten to the core for years and years. The new chairman gets rid of the same old characters that have presided over it and he’s a cunt. 

What does the non-payment of wages and barging into the dressing room to give his opinion to players make him?

It wasn't an over-reaction.  It was a reaction to years and years of decline.

Some odd lot on here - it was supposed to be a pro-active suggestion to ensure the club continues to exist in some guise, even if the club in it's current guise doesn't.  Funny, if not altogether surprising, that some have decided to be hostile towards it..

2 minutes ago, JoeP said:

What does the non-payment of wages and barging into the dressing room to give his opinion to players make him?

Some odd lot on here - it was supposed to be a pro-active suggestion to ensure the club continues to exist in some guise, even if the club in it's current guise doesn't.  Funny, if not altogether surprising, that some have decided to be hostile towards it..

It wouldn’t be the club though.  It would be an entirely new club.  I’m only interested in OAFC. 

27 minutes ago, JoeP said:

As far as I can see ,the wages after a couple of unacceptable late payments are now paid on time ? This was apparently happening often in SC times , yet he never seemed to be called out half as much as AL. I just see this thread as a bit pointless tbf Joe. Nothing against it , just strange timing ? I don’t personally feel we are as much in the shit as we were under SC. I’m wary of AL too but will be interested to see who we appoint and what investment in the playing side we get in January.