F.C Oldham Athletic

32 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

We wouldn't have to follow the FC United their club was set up because they wanted a say in running the club in a sort of utopian democracy where everyone got a say. AFC Wimbledon maybe a better example. I think most people would support a Phoenix club but would just want to be fans they wouldn't want to run it.

Personally while I want the club to take fans concerns seriously I don't expect them to pander to us and I don't really want "a say" I'd rather just be a fan and I think the majority think this way.

You would get people supporting it if some people were prepared to build it.

We'd be able to tailor the way we do it by taking a leaf out of the books of lots of current Phoenix clubs.  I'd say the examples of what's required in Matt's post are probably not FC United specific - a lot of it would surely apply to any club starting from scratch.

Finding the people prepared to build it is the first challenge..

Edited by JoeP

Some rather fanciful chat in here. A Phoenix club is a massive undertaking and would probably struggle. 

Surely the the first step is for the Trust to begin dialogue with prospectibe new owners?  Shouldn’t they be out there trying to find a new owner(s) that has a more stable and understanding approach... and the funds to back it up.   Doesn’t the trust have contacts in the football world that can put them in touch with brokers or intermediaries?  Or is it, as ever, compromised. 

2 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Some rather fanciful chat in here. A Phoenix club is a massive undertaking and would probably struggle. 

Surely the the first step is for the Trust to begin dialogue with prospectibe new owners?  Shouldn’t they be out there trying to find a new owner(s) that has a more stable and understanding approach... and the funds to back it up.   Doesn’t the trust have contacts in the football world that can put them in touch with brokers or intermediaries?  Or is it, as ever, compromised. 

I agree with this idea. There is no point in the Trust trying to build bridges with the snake who is our current owner. They should do all they can to try to identify new owners, as difficult as that undoubtedly is.

25 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Supporters of Wimbledon, Halifax and Chester (to name a few) probably had such "fanciful chat" at some point and it lead to the creation of their current club...

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

Supporters of Wimbledon, Halifax and Chester (to name a few) probably had such "fanciful chat" at some point and it lead to the creation of their current club...

Yes. That’s right. 

So?  I think there are lots of other avenues to be explored first. 

49 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Would we have had more joy if we went bust in 2004 and went bust? I think so. 

The club wouldn’t have the asset strippers as landlords for a start. OMBC were the landlords at the time and the club had a ten year period to buy the land back at the same price OMBC paid for it. If we’d had set up as a Phoenix club and risen through the leagues we may have had the scope to buy it back ourselves. All hypothetical mind.

8 hours ago, kowenicki said:

I think there are lots of other avenues to be explored first. 

Yes. That's right.  Well, I hope that's right..

But what if the avenues that are explored are not found to be fruitful?  Football clubs aren't immune from liquidation...

7 hours ago, Goal89 said:

Worst thread and worst idea since this websites inception. 

I know we are all bit delicate after yesterday/today but lets not talk silly talk

So if the club in it's current guise went bust and disappeared from the face of the earth, you don't think there should be a contingency plan to build a replacement up from the bottom?

9 hours ago, JoeP said:

Have a feeling that this post might now be the closest thing to a blueprint we have..

That wasn't a 'blueprint', it was a warning - FC are not a phoenix club either.

Each club will have its own roadmap of the future, few are interchangeable. Portsmouth Community Football Club (2013) for example, they took over before winding up, steadied the ship and eventually unilaterally voting to sell it to Michael Eisner - I'm severely reducing the quantity and quality of the whole story there but Oldham will never get an Eisner - so their plan, however good it looks, is out of reach.

Hereford FC (2014) is a model of a phoenix and if OAFC ceased to exist this would be the closest plan to go with, however established teams such as Chadderton and AVRO also exist at that NWCL 'reset' level too - these are factors to consider.

Best to avoid it all completely.

Would it not be easier to just throw your weight behind one of the already mentioned local minnows?

They already have the infrastructure in place to bypass all the red tape needed for a Phoenix club, and with a few hundred latics fans suddenly appearing on their doorstep every week they could start to make some moves with the extra finance

10 minutes ago, philliggi said:

Would it not be easier to just throw your weight behind one of the already mentioned local minnows?

They already have the infrastructure in place to bypass all the red tape needed for a Phoenix club, and with a few hundred latics fans suddenly appearing on their doorstep every week they could start to make some moves with the extra finance

Wouldn't be the same.  The idea, I would hope, would be to keep the current OAFC community together, rather than dispersing it..

10 hours ago, kowenicki said:

They may be. I know that towards the end of Corney's reign that Simon Brooke was talking to a few people. The main one being Wigan's new owners who had a look and wouldn't touch us with a bargepole.

20 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

They may be. I know that towards the end of Corney's reign that Simon Brooke was talking to a few people. The main one being Wigan's new owners who had a look and wouldn't touch us with a bargepole.

Which is odd, considering Wigan needs a £10m a year cash injection just to stand still. 

5 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Not odd in the slightest. Somebody paying £Millions for a piece of paper, three crumbling stands and a few players was odd.

10m would have bought the lot and 10m a year would have had us in the championship easily. 

52 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Wouldn't be the same.  The idea, I would hope, would be to keep the current OAFC community together, rather than dispersing it..

Various options: the Wimbledon model, Hereford, FC United. Latics go down the Life of Brian route.

Splitters.