Website changes

Hello,

In an ongoing attempt to reduce overheads and prevent us from getting our pants pulled down on cost, there may be temporary loss of service over the next week or so as we make the first of a range of changes to protect the forum for future use.

Hopefully most of the changes will go unnoticed, that's the plan anyway - however if there are any significant developments we'll let you know as soon as we can.

Thanks,

Matt.

On 1/2/2019 at 2:41 PM, singe said:

Is one of the changes that tweets are no longer embedded Matt? And just a link is posted?

Thry do embed but they are oversized on my phone (iPhone). When embedding it breaks the width of the thread boundaries. 

On 1/2/2019 at 2:41 PM, singe said:

Is one of the changes that tweets are no longer embedded Matt? And just a link is posted?

There is already an option available, note the below clip - there is an option (circled) that just pastes the link instead).

Hope this helps.

image.png

On 1/6/2019 at 6:46 PM, Matt said:

There is already an option available, note the below clip - there is an option (circled) that just pastes the link instead).

Hope this helps.

image.png

hi Matt,
When I post  I get this bar

I get Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

But counter intuitively, when I select paste as plain text it embeds it! It works anyway, that is the main thing. I guess it is settings my end.

9 hours ago, singe said:

hi Matt,
When I post  I get this bar

I get Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

But counter intuitively, when I select paste as plain text it embeds it! It works anyway, that is the main thing. I guess it is settings my end.

I'm afraid I can't replicate your issue, so I'm at a loss. Sorry.

I'll see if I there are any options to make this easier.

28 minutes ago, Matt said:

Cheers Matt. If it is a short time, then thanks. PLease dont spend any length of time on it! Much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Can I  check one other think. Has the ability to add a signature to  each post been taken away? I understand if it has, it probably wasn't used much but takes bandwidth,  I  just wanted to add a signature about Bristolatic's charity to my posts if I could. Cheers

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, singe said:

Hi, Can I  check one other think. Has the ability to add a signature to  each post been taken away? I understand if it has, it probably wasn't used much but takes bandwidth,  I  just wanted to add a signature about Bristolatic's charity to my posts if I could. Cheers

Yes, signatures are gone, sorry.

2 hours ago, singe said:

That's very thoughtful, singe. Thanks for considering it.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 7:21 PM, Matt said:

Just as a follow up Matt, I've been able to pinpoint this to a problem with Firefox. It works on my phone with Chrome, and at work (we are forced through a VPN) with IE, just not Firefox. Entirely possible it could be my settings, so might so some adjustments. 

57 minutes ago, singe said:

Just as a follow up Matt, I've been able to pinpoint this to a problem with Firefox. It works on my phone with Chrome, and at work (we are forced through a VPN) with IE, just not Firefox. Entirely possible it could be my settings, so might so some adjustments. 

No worries, let me know how that pans out because I'd like to know what is happening here - the website should work on all platforms equally.

Can I suggest you disable all of your FF extensions and use the website - then add in extensions one at a time and reuse the website? It might pinpoint the issue as an extension (or a combination) rather than FF. I use FF and have no issue.

Cheers,

Matt.

OK, I disabled everything, then went  into FF Safe mode. I can now see the tweets  as tweets. I t still needed to be slected as Plain text rather than auto embed.

I then added one of the addons I was expecting.One tab.

Tried again, still Twweets dispalyed as plain text. Closed WOTB, repopened normally, but with no Add ons. Still plain text.
I assume it could be other settings.

So it only works in Safe Mode.

EDIT Right. It's definitely the work WPN we have. just managedfine in the sectino outside the WPN login. Well it's a Remote Desktop Connection.

Edited by singe

25 minutes ago, singe said:

OK, I disabled everything, then went  into FF Safe mode. I can now see the tweets  as tweets. I t still needed to be slected as Plain text rather than auto embed.

I then added one of the addons I was expecting.One tab.

Tried again, still Twweets dispalyed as plain text. Closed WOTB, repopened normally, but with no Add ons. Still plain text.
I assume it could be other settings.

So it only works in Safe Mode.

EDIT Right. It's definitely the work WPN we have. just managedfine in the sectino outside the WPN login

Can someone here not just talk in English. I mean WTF. 

7 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Unique and petty issue but doing my head in: 

I have the website ‘bookmarked’ on my iPhone. The icon has always been blue. The icon since the changes is now red. 

Why is it red ? It’s driving me bonkers.

anyone else noticed this ? 

It's not red exactly, it's the O in the logo at the top of the website - which is helvetica overlapped CMYK - which I suppose looks red in some instances. It's based on a Saville/Wakefield design; Wakefield said that  "The 'O' was the sexiest letter" - so that's why it's the favicon and sharer icon.

We'll change the banner from time to time, and we'll update the icons at that time too.

19 minutes ago, Matt said:

It's not red exactly, it's the O in the logo at the top of the website - which is helvetica overlapped CMYK - which I suppose looks red in some instances. It's based on a Saville/Wakefield design; Wakefield said that  "The 'O' was the sexiest letter" - so that's why it's the favicon and sharer icon.

We'll change the banner from time to time, and we'll update the icons at that time too.

It’s not the logo at the top of the webpage. It’s the bookmark logo on my phone. I’m not sure why that bookmark logo has changed ? 

As im typing this maybe thinking it changed as it thinks the website main banner is red now.