Pete Wild

It's a New Year and I believe in Fairy Tales.  His age is no bar and if he wants the job he is in the best place to get it.

It always irks me when there is a call for this or that experienced manager.  They are only available because they have already failed somewhere else.  Lee Johnson was younger when he took charge but it was all about him.  Wouldn't it be nice to have one of our own.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

Does anyone know his background? Was he a player when he was younger? There doesn't seem to be much info about him unless I'm missing something. 

You've not missed anything you've summed his career up quite well. Not a bad record as caretaker though but I'd be staggered if he's involved past the end of the week.

Would be a fairy tale if he led us out at Fulham and got the win. Would be wrong to give it the new guy even if we make the appointment before then. It's a no lose situation giving it wild.

We win it's fairy tale.

We lose, we are no worse off, shake hands and make the announcement Monday morning

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, philliggi said:

Would be a fairy tale if he led us out at Fulham and got the win. Would be wrong to give it the new guy even if we make the appointment before then. It's a no lose situation giving it wild.

We win it's fairy tale.

We lose, we are no worse off, shake hands and make the announcement Monday morning

What if we appointed a manager who would give us more chance of beating Fulham on Sunday? 

8 hours ago, jorvik_latic said:

What if we appointed a manager who would give us more chance of beating Fulham on Sunday? 

Would anyone have a better chance than wild though? He has them working for each other, and has the fans on side.

A new guy wouldn't know them and would try to implement his new philosophy, or simply listen to Clarke and wild anyway. 

Better to have him looking on from the stands. It's one game, we have nothing to lose

34 minutes ago, philliggi said:

Would anyone have a better chance than wild though? He has them working for each other, and has the fans on side.

A new guy wouldn't know them and would try to implement his new philosophy, or simply listen to Clarke and wild anyway. 

Better to have him looking on from the stands. It's one game, we have nothing to lose

If you get the right man? Yes, he would have a better chance than Wild.

It's not just one game though and we do have something to lose - prize money and another FA Cup match. I'm not saying it's a bad thing having Wild in charge but seasoned managers have more tactics etc. up their sleeves. 

Cup games are as much about momentum, self belief and romance as they are tactics and quality. I honestly believe putting a new man in charge could be shooting ourselves in the foot.

Let's say he gets appointed and we lose 3-0 What does it do for confidence?

We lose 3-0 under wild it's a fresh slate monday

19 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

It's not just one game though and we do have something to lose - prize money and another FA Cup match. I'm not saying it's a bad thing having Wild in charge but seasoned managers have more tactics etc. up their sleeves. 

But you can't lose what you never had... 

47 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

Wild has kept it simple and consulted the players when many experienced managers would ignore them.

Its no coincidence the same  thing is happening at Mancheter United with improved results.

As many know I'm not a tactics or clipboard person, if the squad is good enough and comforable with the positions they  play why complicate things with theories which just baffle brains?

Yes, you have to cover the obvious strengths and weakness of the opposition, but not over analyse it.

Its up to AL where we go now, but I'd have thought he will be delighted with some harmony at the club at last.

I do know any new manager must not take us back to the them and us mentality we have seen in the past.

The owner must see to that too.

Edited by BP1960

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Wild has kept it simple and consulted the players when many experienced managers would ignore them.

Its no coincidence the same  thing is happening at Mancheter United with improved results.

As many know I'm not a tactics or clipboard person, if the squad is good enough and comforable with the positions they  play why complicate things with theories which just baffle brains?

Yes, you have to cover the obvious strengths and weakness of the opposition, but not over analyse it.

Its up to AL where we go now, but I'd have thought he will be delighted with some harmony at the club at last.

I do know any new manager must not take us back to the them and us mentality we have seen in the past.

Everything your saying is good Bunn was responsible for, Wild has stepped in but he's a million miles away from getting that job on what he's done, there's no saying he couldn't be a success but in my opinion he'd soon get found out when things aren't going so well, that's when the decent managers earn their crust and I suspect  it's pressure like no other. By all means keep him whilst we find the right man but going forward we need a decent manager with pedigree and know how in these lower leagues.

10 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Another thing we have in common with Man Utd at the moment is that the fixtures immediately following the manager sacking were relatively easy ones!

But I agree that the consultative approach of Wild is reaping the rewards in those games.  

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

Another thing we have in common with Man Utd at the moment is that the fixtures immediately following the manager sacking were relatively easy ones!

But I agree that the consultative approach of Wild is reaping the rewards in those games.  

I was about to type something similar. Tactics and nous will become more important for more testing league opposition. For example,  Exeter changed their approach at half time and turned the game around.

15 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Someone in the press called an interesting comparison with the United situation the other day. When Di Matteo took over from Villas Boas at Chelsea things turned to the extent that they won the Champions League. No alternative really but to give him the job full time but very early in the new season he looked well out of his depth and was fired. The view was that he had just given the players freedom which had worked but that he was found lacking when things got a bit tougher.