Peter Clarke

9 minutes ago, latics22 said:

His goal against chesterfield made him a legend, he a good pro, good example to younger players, shipping him out may have cost us our league 1 status. He’s done a lot more right than wrong.

Fair assessment.

Will be a club legend if he captains us to promotion.

Edited by yarddog73

Not really.  Who was the last player to play for us that we would class as a legend?  You’ll be going back quite a few years I suspect.

I think you have to achieve something to be classed as a legend. 

Edited by kowenicki

1 minute ago, kowenicki said:

Not really.  Who was the last player to play for us that we would class as a legend?  You’ll be going back quite a few years I suspect.

I think you have to achieve something to be classed as a legend. 

It's a nebulous term even by the standards of Juncker and May.  Sheridan probably.  Hardly anyone in the past decade or so has played for us for more than a season or two which is hardly enough to gain mythical status.

Legend in my eyes. 

Probably played over a 100 games for us chipping in with some important goals too and on the whole has been very consistent. The shape he keeps himself in is top notch. A few of us were comparing him to Duxbury recently. High praise that I think is merited.

He's had an outstanding career. 

Edited by welshgaz
  • Like 1

Yeah been a good player for us. If he could get us up a division as a player then he probably might qualify for ' 'legendary'status. First bit of success in ages and length of service plus nack  of scoring goals would be a decent shout. 

But not a legend at the moment. 

Depends what ya need to do to get legend status.

Matt Smith did next to fuck all but scored some of the most memorable goals since the century turned.

Eyresy, Sheridan, duxbury, to name a few, all great servants but won nowt.

Ernie, lived the dream, and was a top bloke, probably remembered more for what happened after us.

If you have to win something to be a legend your going right back to the big joe era, but I think there are other exceptions. I do however think those exceptions are few and far between. Not all those I used as examples should be classed as one, but I've heard all them called one in the past. 

Edited by philliggi

21 minutes ago, philliggi said:

Depends what ya need to do to get legend status.

Matt Smith did next to fuck all but scored some of the most memorable goals since the century turned.

Eyresy, Sheridan, duxbury, to name a few, all great servants but won nowt.

Ernie, lived the dream, and was a top bloke, probably remembered more for what happened after us.

If you have to win something to be a legend your going right back to the big joe era, but I think there are other exceptions. I do however think those exceptions are few and far between. Not all those I used as examples should be classed as one, but I've heard all them called one in the past. 

I agree, but Shez does move the goalpost a bit for coming in as manager to save us. He's the only one since Joe's day IMHO. I think the others, such as Eyresy, Dux  and could be more correctly labelled as cult heroes, for reasons you state.
I think PC fits the cult hero category.

Edited by singe

23 minutes ago, OLDHAMADE said:

Sheridan will always be seen as a true legend where as my cult heroes were Simon Stainrod and Rodger Wylde.

This is the crux of the question for me. There have been many cult heroes at Latics down the years, but only a few merit the accolade ‘legend’ as well.

Cult heroes of mine: Johnstone, Bowie, Fryatt, Bryceland, Groves, Halom, Eyres, Ritchie, Palmer, Marshall, Holden R, Sheridan, Haskins, Clarke

Legends: Johnstone, Ritchie, Palmer, Sheridan and of course Frizzell and Royle!

Not as many in recent years sadly 😔 

Edited by TheBigDog
How could I miss these two?
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, palmer1 said:

The official club line seems to be Captain, Leader, Legend...

Is Peter Clarke an Oldham Athletic Legend?

if so why?

If I was working for an organisation with financial difficulties and one of the highest paid members of staff insisted that I got paid before they did, so the rumour goes, I'd be close to considering them a legend even if they had done bugger all. 

It's a strap-line that clubs have been using since Terry at Chelsea (and he still had about 5 years left there) when they started using it. 

Think he's had as many poor games as good games this season, but he chips in with some very important goal, is the best leader we have had since Duxbury, (according to many people in the game), is one of the most consumate pros in the game and, a couple of months ago, he went to Lemsagam and said to make sure everyone else at the club is paid before he is. The term "legend" is a bit overused, but he's as close as we've got to one over the last 10 years or so...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Think he's had as many poor games as good games this season, but he chips in with some very important goal, is the best leader we have had since Duxbury, (according to many people in the game), is one of the most consumate pros in the game and, a couple of months ago, he went to Lemsagam and said to make sure everyone else at the club is paid before he is. The term "legend" is a bit overused, but he's as close as we've got to one over the last 10 years or so...

I’d agree with all that. Close as we’ve got...but still not one... yet. 

Legend is as Legend does. I think it's much overused these days but if our younger supporters want to label Clarke with the accolade then they're well entitled to in my eyes.

One thing that can't be argued is the "old fashioned" professionalism and leadership he constantly shows. This was epitomised by the bear hug he gave young Robinson, making his debut, at full time on Tuesday which was great to see.

• Like 1

I think its safe to say that is your name is brought up in this kind of discussion then you must be highly thought of and have been an excellent servant to the club.

The parameters have certainly changed over time as players in the lower leagues move around far more often these days so over 100 apps at any lg1/2 club at his 36/37 especially is an achievement.

Good Servant, Cult hero to many but a promotion away from Club Legend imo.

Definitive Legend status may not be far away hopefully...

28 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

I think its safe to say that is your name is brought up in this kind of discussion then you must be highly thought of and have been an excellent servant to the club.

The parameters have certainly changed over time as players in the lower leagues move around far more often these days so over 100 apps at any lg1/2 club at his 36/37 especially is an achievement.

Good Servant, Cult hero to many but a promotion away from Club Legend imo.

Definitive Legend status may not be far away hopefully...

93rd minute winner (Chesterfield style) at Wembley in the playoff final against Bury would seal it.

• Like 1