Peter Clarke

10 hours ago, fleetwood Blue said:

Definately not a legend but that title is too easily given out these days...We have had a few legends who deserve the title, Joe Royle, Ian Wood, Andy Ritchie and Roger Palmer..

I think the #legendtitleisgivenouttooeasilylads cause people not to get the legend title when it’s deserved. 

17 hours ago, OneSizeFitz said:

He's a bit of a Football League legend isn't he? 700+ games and counting and player of the season at five different clubs.

Seems a thoroughly decent chap too.

Happy Birthday, fella.

Winning Player of the Year at five different clubs as well ....

Will never forget his winner at Chesterfield, one of my favourite ever moments watching us. The atmosphere that second half was so unique but special. Alongside when Hughesy got his hat-trick at Millwall. Both unique in such different ways but both afternoons I'll never forget. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OneSizeFitz said:

He's a bit of a Football League legend isn't he? 700+ games and counting and player of the season at five different clubs.

Seems a thoroughly decent chap too.

Happy Birthday, fella.

Will never forget his winner at Chesterfield, one of my favourite ever moments watching us. The atmosphere that second half was so unique but special. Alongside when Hughesy got his hat-trick at Millwall. Both unique in such different ways but both afternoons I'll never forget. 

7 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

Checks outside to see it’s still daylight and not just gone midnight as Shuck has posted.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/3/2019 at 12:34 PM, Lee Sinnott said:

Think he's had as many poor games as good games this season, but he chips in with some very important goal, is the best leader we have had since Duxbury, (according to many people in the game), is one of the most consumate pros in the game and, a couple of months ago, he went to Lemsagam and said to make sure everyone else at the club is paid before he is. The term "legend" is a bit overused, but he's as close as we've got to one over the last 10 years or so...

Going along with most of that still. Unbelievable display at Fulham and on Saturday. I still think he has had as many bad games as good games this season, but the way he has stepped up recently, helping the caretaker manager out, whilst still being out on the pitch, is an absolute credit to him as a person. I'd go as far as to say he's a legend now, certainly our biggest legend since Sheridan/Eyres...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Going along with most of that still. Unbelievable display at Fulham and on Saturday. I still think he has had as many bad games as good games this season, but the way he has stepped up recently, helping the caretaker manager out, whilst still being out on the pitch, is an absolute credit to him as a person. I'd go as far as to say he's a legend now, certainly our biggest legend since Sheridan/Eyres...

He absolutely is as far as players in the modern era go. He’s led the team brilliantly since he’s been here and the way he conducts himself on and off the pitch is a credit. He’s a proper footballer and it’s glaringly obvious he’s played at a higher level despite his age. Must be fantastic got George to be lining up next to and learning from Clarke each week.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2019 at 6:35 PM, south east latic said:

He absolutely is as far as players in the modern era go. He’s led the team brilliantly since he’s been here and the way he conducts himself on and off the pitch is a credit. He’s a proper footballer and it’s glaringly obvious he’s played at a higher level despite his age. Must be fantastic got George to be lining up next to and learning from Clarke each week.

Agree with all of this he,s a leader, I wish the other members of the side would show his commitment.

I'd say he's joined the list of great players/servants rather than legends.

Royle, Frizzell, Ritchie, Palmer, many others from the promotion/cup run sides are legends.

Clarke hasn't won anything or been here as long as others to be classed as a legend. 

I'd put Shez and Eyres in the legend category as, despite not winning anything they were here years and in various capacities where Shez is concerned.

Gregan, Duxbury,  Gerrard (Paul!), Gary Kelly, Murray, Wellens, Taylor and now Clarke I'd call "greats"

10 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I'd say he's joined the list of great players/servants rather than legends.

Royle, Frizzell, Ritchie, Palmer, many others from the promotion/cup run sides are legends.

Clarke hasn't won anything or been here as long as others to be classed as a legend. 

I'd put Shez and Eyres in the legend category as, despite not winning anything they were here years and in various capacities where Shez is concerned.

Gregan, Duxbury,  Gerrard (Paul!), Gary Kelly, Murray, Wellens, Taylor and now Clarke I'd call "greats"

Whittle, Groves, Shaw, Young, Wood, Bebbington, Fryatt Legends

Edit: well, you started it...

Sharp? Fuckwit.

Edited by L1onheartNew

13 minutes ago, MAC0AFC said:

You’re putting Wellens and Taylor in the same category as Peter Clarke?!? Wow. 

Taylor, ye, great player in his first stint. Awful attitude second stint.

Wellens, again, great player. But a bit of a wanker.

Taylor's still above Clarke. 

Chris Taylor gets a lot of undue stick from Latics fans. I know nothing of his attitude second time round but I do know that in his first stint, he was a consistent performer over a number of years who could have made a move to the championship sooner than he did. Without looking at the stats I’d suggest that no other player has come close to his total appearances for the club in modern times. 

A legend, no but definitely deserves more recognition than he gets.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

With us set to be in this godforsaken league for another year, would you keep Clarke on for an extra year?

Yeah, played nearly every game. Great leader and influence to have around the squad, maybe player coach role

1 hour ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

With us set to be in this godforsaken league for another year, would you keep Clarke on for an extra year?

Yes but I'd like another experienced defender as well. 

I think there's a risk that Clarke struggles to play a lot next season, especially when we play Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday. 

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

Yeah, played nearly every game. Great leader and influence to have around the squad, maybe player coach role

I'd be happy with this.

He isn't going to get much slower than he already is and having a true leader in the squad would be hard to replace.  We might not use him in every game next season but he'd be a great influence to have in the squad, as a player or a coach.

• Like 1