Peter Clarke

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

I'm not so certain. He wasn't in the same form he's been in this season. I remember thinking at Blackpool away in particular that he's had it..

I'm more certain that if AL hadn't bought the #frenchlads in that we'd have stayed up. 

He lost a lot of weight over the summer would have helped him get a yard or two back.

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

I'm not so certain. He wasn't in the same form he's been in this season. I remember thinking at Blackpool away in particular that he's had it..

I'm more certain that if AL hadn't bought the #frenchlads in that we'd have stayed up. 

He had serious family concerns around the time his form dropped off, we shouldn't be reading much into it.

I was in the camp that thought we'd be better off keeping Gerrard and getting rid of Clarke on the pitch. 

However, in hindsight I think this year's team has been a lot more together off the pitch. I think the absence of Gerrard is a significant factor in that. A few other players too, with a few of the newer lads being good for morale to enhance it. 

The cliques we saw last year helped relegate us and I think Gerrard was a significant part of that. Do we stay up if Gerrard plays most of the games he missed after Bury, I think so, or even if he admitted his injury before Bury. Do we stay up if Clarke stays, I think so. Do we stay up if Maouche plays more games, I think so- he's proven his value this season. The same for Nepomuceno. 

There are a lot of factors that helped relegate us last season, a lot of which can be laid at the feet of our former owner. Clarke being shipped out on loan isn't one of them. 

In hindsight given the amount of games Gerrard actually played and the dross signed with the money saved (Benyu) compared with what we already had available, do I think we were better keeping Gerrard, no. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

I was in the camp that thought we'd be better off keeping Gerrard and getting rid of Clarke on the pitch. 

However, in hindsight I think this year's team has been a lot more together off the pitch. I think the absence of Gerrard is a significant factor in that. A few other players too, with a few of the newer lads being good for morale to enhance it. 

The cliques we saw last year helped relegate us and I think Gerrard was a significant part of that. Do we stay up if Gerrard plays most of the games he missed after Bury, I think so, or even if he admitted his injury before Bury. Do we stay up if Clarke stays, I think so. Do we stay up if Maouche plays more games, I think so- he's proven his value this season. The same for Nepomuceno. 

There are a lot of factors that helped relegate us last season, a lot of which can be laid at the feet of our former owner. Clarke being shipped out on loan isn't one of them. 

In hindsight given the amount of games Gerrard actually played and the dross signed with the money saved (Benyu) compared with what we already had available, do I think we were better keeping Gerrard, no. 

Easy to forget the 2 seasons when Gerrard helped up stay up though isn’t it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rudemedic said:

There are a lot of factors that helped relegate us last season, a lot of which can be laid at the feet of our former current owner. Clarke being shipped out on loan isn't one of them. 

FTFY.

These cliques you talk about were formed because our current owner brought in his clients who offered nothing on the pitch, paid them inflated wages for reasons unknown and expected the players on lesser wages to dig us out of the shit.

If there's one moment that sums up what contribution the players AL bought in had on the team was Moimbe pulling Tom Eaves' hair!

31 minutes ago, JoeP said:

FTFY.

These cliques you talk about were formed because our current owner brought in his clients who offered nothing on the pitch, paid them inflated wages for reasons unknown and expected the players on lesser wages to dig us out of the shit.

If there's one moment that sums up what contribution the players AL bought in had on the team was Moimbe pulling Tom Eaves' hair!

If only Eaves had his hair shorn that morning we might have stayed up..fine lines .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

FTFY.

You are aware that if there is stuff we can blame Corney for in terms of our relegation, but that doesn't account for everything, then the rest like shipping Clarke on loan go to AL's tally. 

I literally said that in my post which you claim to have fixed. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

You are aware that if there is stuff we can blame Corney for in terms of our relegation, but that doesn't account for everything, then the rest like shipping Clarke on loan go to AL's tally. 

I literally said that in my post which you claim to have fixed. 

Meh, I apologise if that's what you were getting at - but I didn't read any reference to AL in your post.

There seems a biased on this board that blames Corney for our relegation.  Corney had us hanging on the edge but it was undoubtedly AL that came in and changed things which pushed us right over, when I think a few simple, calculated decisions could have kept us up.

Sad isn't it - just watching us fall into the abyss - without there having been any concerted effort to rally the troops and, at the very least, protest very strongly. 

Unless outside investment is in the pipeline, it looks like budgets are being slashed and, if this season was a disappointment, I fear that next (if we hang on until then) may well see us off.

The word "stability" has been mentioned recently (was it intimated at the Trust/Chairman meeting?) - I`ve obviously misunderstood the word's meaning for most of my life.

• Like 2