Sporting Director

sporting director, or director of sport, is an executive management position in a body concerned with sport. The role is best known as a manager role at continental European football clubs, which are usually "sports clubs" offering many types of sports. While the coach takes care of the team in daily work, the manager or sporting director takes care of hiring the team. The sporting director is, in many cases, a member of the executive board and therefore an executive director.

4 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

sporting director, or director of sport, is an executive management position in a body concerned with sport. The role is best known as a manager role at continental European football clubs, which are usually "sports clubs" offering many types of sports. While the coach takes care of the team in daily work, the manager or sporting director takes care of hiring the team. The sporting director is, in many cases, a member of the executive board and therefore an executive director.

In a nutshell he’s recruiting the players and we are going to bring in a coach. Fuck that, just paid there way into management. 

43 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

In a nutshell he’s recruiting the players and we are going to bring in a coach. Fuck that, just paid there way into management. 

13 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

So when it goes tits up next time he can be made directly responsible.

Got your lit torches and pitch forks ready?  Calm down fellas. 

• Like 1

It's no surprise that AL wants to go down this route. It's clear from his actions thus far that bringing in players from overseas, through his network of contacts, is a big part of his plan for the club. I think he said as much publicly when he first took over.

I don't have a problem with the Sporting Director model. It is pretty much the norm on the continent and managers there are used to working that way. If well implemented, it is probably much more efficient because  the club dictates the  type of  player required and  thus avoids a complete  overhaul of playing staff every time the coach changes.

The model is obviously not so common yet in the English lower leagues, where most experienced managers still expect and want to be in charge of recruitment. For this reason I can see the next incumbent being either a foreign coach or an inexperienced British coach willing to work without having control of recruitment.

My bigger concern would be the credentials of the man filling the Sporting Director role. I believe it is a key role in this type of set up and I think it needs to be a man with significant experience and knowledge of the game. Ideally having been involved in  management,scouting/recruitment or coaching roles at different levels for a significant period of time.

I don't know much about Muhammad Lemsagam but can find no record of him having worked in professional football before. Therefore it is difficult not to reach the conclusion that his only qualification for the job is being AL's brother.

4 minutes ago, bozman said:

I don't know much about Muhammad Lemsagam but can find no record of him having worked in professional football before. Therefore it is difficult not to reach the conclusion that his only qualification for the job is being AL's brother.

I'm led to believe he is a former footballer - who unsuccessfully pursued a professional career in Europe [I want to say Germany?] and after giving up on that dream, went into business with his brother managing footballers as Agents. He has been performing the 'Sporting Director' role for all of the last 18 months alongside his brother. Let's hope he does indeed have a good eye for a footballer. As I posted in another thread yesterday, while there are some signs he can pick a good-un, his/their overall record to date - on balance - is inconclusive & no better / arguably worse than domestic recruitment over the same period.

20 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Got your lit torches and pitch forks ready?  Calm down fellas. 

Let's see how January goes, we will get a pretty clear indication at the end of the month which way we are heading but the model they tried to implement initially under Shez now seems to be given full steam ahead.

Personally I'm uncomfortable with it, I don't like the idea of AL's brother dictating player recruitment and tactics, going into the dressing room and generally undermining all three managers they've worked with, it's already led to one relegation and following that I'd thought they'd learnt some lessons - obviously not. It looks like the two brothers want to control every last aspect of the club and I personally think that's unhealthy, on the plus side it's out in the open now and they can be judged on results.

I think sporting director is the way to go. The traditional scouting networks can't work given how the game has changed and, for good or bad, it's all about contacts now. 

Whether this specific arrangement is a good one I have no idea. Only time will tell. 

I think AL and his brother(s) have learnt from last year, so instead of signing new players from aboard, he brings them in for a trial period and the coach / manager has a chance to look at them in training, then has a say in their signing. This seems to have worked for Missilou, with Branger being a worthwhile squad player.

If you read back on what the likes of Dickov and Johnson had to say, instead of fielding calls from agents and having a look at players for a brief period we are doing things slightly differently. The talent pool in the U.K. is only so big, we signed one of Ireland’s best players last season and he didn’t look up to it. France/Belgium/Holland have a pool of players that most in England don’t know about and they don’t have the same depth in League system as we do, so why not give those players a look.

29 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

I think AL and his brother(s) have learnt from last year, so instead of signing new players from aboard, he brings them in for a trial period and the coach / manager has a chance to look at them in training, then has a say in their signing. This seems to have worked for Missilou, with Branger being a worthwhile squad player.

If you read back on what the likes of Dickov and Johnson had to say, instead of fielding calls from agents and having a look at players for a brief period we are doing things slightly differently. The talent pool in the U.K. is only so big, we signed one of Ireland’s best players last season and he didn’t look up to it. France/Belgium/Holland have a pool of players that most in England don’t know about and they don’t have the same depth in League system as we do, so why not give those players a look.

Because “foreigners”.

Totally agree, I’m bemused by this lack of open mindedness with regards to potential overseas talent.  No harm in looking, trialling. Can get them over here for peanuts and if they are decent they can play in the first team and potentially become valuable assets.

This could, in the long run, be a better approach than using journeymen coupled with loan players and us praying for the odd youth product to become worth something, which is what we’ve tried for the last decade with zero success. 

5 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

This could, in the long run, be a better approach than using journeymen coupled with loan players and us praying for the odd youth product to become worth something, which is what we’ve tried for the last decade with zero success. 

Tarky?

8 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Because “foreigners”.

Totally agree, I’m bemused by this lack of open mindedness with regards to potential overseas talent.  No harm in looking, trialling. Can get them over here for peanuts and if they are decent they can play in the first team and potentially become valuable assets.

Because it eats away at the identity of Oldham as a club for the community.

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

I think AL and his brother(s).....

....I believe there is a 3rd - and youngest - brother, Omar?..... but I don't think he's directly involved in the club, albeit he was in Manchester in Feb 2018.... he's still in Dubai from what I can tell running the family Football Agent business as MD;

http://sport2jlt.com/team

As an aside, they don't seem to do many transfers.... but the ones they seem to have had a hand in recently [Sept 2018] are;

Alvaro Negredo from Besitkas [Turkey] to Al-Nasr [UAE].

Samuel Eto'o [Who knew he was till playing at 37] from Konyaspor [Turkey] to Qatar SC.

Abdelaziz Barrada, a Morcoccan national, from Marseille to Al-Nasr for 4.5m Euros.

42 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

This could....

....it could also end up like Leyton Orient.

Edited by lookersstandandy

4 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Does it? Oldham is multicultural, its football team is becoming increasingly multicultural. 

All about personal choice but for me a team of foreigners with no connection to the team or area they are playing holds little appeal.