Sporting Director

43 minutes ago, laticsmarra said:

At least the new Manager should know where he stands and we don't have a situation where he thinks he is in full control of the footballing side when in reality he isn't

They may call him Head Coach rather than Manager?

Edited by LaticMark

40 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

All about personal choice but for me a team of foreigners with no connection to the team or area they are playing holds little appeal.

Does someone from Scotland or Devon for example have more of a connection to the local area than someone from France?

5 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Does someone from Scotland or Devon for example have more of a connection to the local area than someone from France?

I fancy they'd have more chance of finding it on the map.

Are these lads really any better than those knocking about in non league? I don't think so.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Are these lads really any better than those knocking about in non league? I don't think so.

They might not be. 

But any decent non league player commands a fee these days. 

French 4th Divison players Don’t. 

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

I think due to the structure, more lower French LEague players are more technically skilled. Odds game. Of course, plenty of gifted players in non League, but you are in more of a competition for the non league players. We'd needmany of  them to take a pay cut to join us.

Problem I have with the player recruitment proposed is the transition time for these players, even players of the ilk of Thierry Henry took a year or more to adapt to the English game and everything that goes with that, these bigger clubs also have an infrastructure that can accommodate these players and their needs - what do we have? Another teammate who translates isn't really productive in my opinion, if we are going down this route we really need a manager whose multilingual who can communicate with these players and pull everything together on the training pitch. You can't expect a Shez/Wellens type to do that job it needs a man with experience in dealing with players from different nationalities or at least a coach with them skills.

Wasn't ones of our past complaints that we don't seem to find any rough diamonds from non league like Peterborough? 

Surly this is the same but I presume cheaper just in a different country. And France have certainly been the most successful footballing nation since ClairFontain set up so I would presume there be a chance of picking up some good players. The problem is we may have to go through a few to find 1. But AL doesn't seem to mind shipping 20 in at a time to find 1 and clearing the rest off, which in theory should be better/quicker than taking the risk on buying one or two from the English non league.

Just may take foreign players a bit longer to settle as it does in the dizzy heights of the premier league - so how much of a culture shock is Oldham, cold weather and league 2 football.

The unknown is - will we find em, will we get decent fees, will the fee go to the club and will it work....no one can answer

But I have no problem picking up players from France Belgium Netherlands etc as are all talented footballing counties, if they were coming from San Marino Luxembourg etc then it would look like AL was feathering his own nest.

But I think it's his plan and chosen route to go with now. So time will tell whether we will be the next Leyton Orient or Le'Latics. 

1 minute ago, OAFCinWolves said:

Wasn't ones of our past complaints that we don't seem to find any rough diamonds from non league like Peterborough? 

Surly this is the same but I presume cheaper just in a different country. And France have certainly been the most successful footballing nation since ClairFontain set up so I would presume there be a chance of picking up some good players. The problem is we may have to go through a few to find 1. But AL doesn't seem to mind shipping 20 in at a time to find 1 and clearing the rest off, which in theory should be better/quicker than taking the risk on buying one or two from the English non league.

Just may take foreign players a bit longer to settle as it does in the dizzy heights of the premier league - so how much of a culture shock is Oldham, cold weather and league 2 football.

The unknown is - will we find em, will we get decent fees, will the fee go to the club and will it work....no one can answer

But I have no problem picking up players from France Belgium Netherlands etc as are all talented footballing counties, if they were coming from San Marino Luxembourg etc then it would look like AL was feathering his own nest.

But I think it's his plan and chosen route to go with now. So time will tell whether we will be the next Leyton Orient or Le'Latics. 

I watched Malawi play 10 years ago (not exactly a footballing hotbed) and I thought there were a couple of players who could do a job for us. 

I have no issue where a player comes from, if they are good enough. 

3 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Because “foreigners”.

Totally agree, I’m bemused by this lack of open mindedness with regards to potential overseas talent.  No harm in looking, trialling. Can get them over here for peanuts and if they are decent they can play in the first team and potentially become valuable assets.

This could, in the long run, be a better approach than using journeymen coupled with loan players and us praying for the odd youth product to become worth something, which is what we’ve tried for the last decade with zero success. 

You keep pushing this point that fans are adverse to 'foreigners' as you call them. 

The fact is the vast majority don't give a flying where the players come from.

A successful happy club is all most people want. 

26 minutes ago, singe said:

Is there anywhere in the UK  a Sporting Director has worked for any sustained period?

Chelsea have a sporting director in charge of transfers and loans.

Txiki Begiristain is the sporting Director of Man City.

In both cases I imagine Sari and Guardiola have a say in recruitment however a lot of it is delegated to the Sporting Director.

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Chelsea have a sporting director in charge of transfers and loans.

Txiki Begiristain is the sporting Director of Man City.

In both cases I imagine Sari and Guardiola have a say in recruitment however a lot of it is delegated to the Sporting Director.

I think that is the key, the manager identifies the pplayer or has the final say on the choices the SD puts forwards but the SD sort the deal out. 

Just now, singe said:

I think that is the key, the manager identifies the pplayer or has the final say on the choices the SD puts forwards but the SD sort the deal out. 

You couldn't imagine Guardiola working at city if he had to sign players he didn't want.

As long as the players signed are of sufficient quality I doubt anyone will care who signs them or where they come from.

18 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

You couldn't imagine Guardiola working at city if he had to sign players he didn't want.

As long as the players signed are of sufficient quality I doubt anyone will care who signs them or where they come from.

Defo not, but of course we are fairly sure our managers have had players foisted on them. That is the key difference. I read somewhere a club had a team of 3 that reviewed layers so it did not matter who the coach was. Only works Mgr has final say, like you allude too. 

14 minutes ago, Twisbrogan said:

If we're going to be turning over 'managers' on a regular basis then I'd rather they had nothing to do with identifying players. Just means you have squad made up of leftovers from a previous regime.

But are you going to be able to attract a coach of sufficient pedigree willing to work under that structure? Especially when the director appears to have zero credentials for the job?

46 minutes ago, Twisbrogan said:

If we're going to be turning over 'managers' on a regular basis then I'd rather they had nothing to do with identifying players. Just means you have squad made up of leftovers from a previous regime.

Bang on the money...and at this club we know more than most about that scenario don’t we?

Obviously the manager would have some sort of input regarding players and the type he wants but first and foremost he’s a coach and that’s what he’s essentially paid to do.

Get the recruitment right and the right coach should be able to mould them into a successful team.

I quite like the idea and what’s more it might even work and actually bring the club some much overdue success!

Edited by oafc1955

41 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

But are you going to be able to attract a coach of sufficient pedigree willing to work under that structure? Especially when the director appears to have zero credentials for the job?

Just get a motivator in. Get an assistant who can do tactics. And a coaching team for the coaching. Simples.

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Sounds expensive if you want good ones.

Does it? Was LJ expensive? Would a Brian Horton type be expensive? A John Harbin? Don't think you have to spend a fortune - of course there may be an element of giving someone a chance, but if it all comes together...

2 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Does it? Was LJ expensive? Would a Brian Horton type be expensive? A John Harbin? Don't think you have to spend a fortune - of course there may be an element of giving someone a chance, but if it all comes together...

Johnson wasn't much good until the last 6 months, hard to imagine he would have lasted as long as he did under Lemsagam. And he picked his own players.

I just don't how it can work unless they pick a guy and stick with him no matter what. Which is virtually impossible to do these days with social media and the like.

19 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Johnson wasn't much good until the last 6 months, hard to imagine he would have lasted as long as he did under Lemsagam. And he picked his own players.

I just don't how it can work unless they pick a guy and stick with him no matter what. Which is virtually impossible to do these days with social media and the like.

Exactly - if he didn't have to bring players in and worry about tactics, he'd probably have been more effective earlier - he can bullshit with the best of them