Squad movements, January 2019

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm glad that our saleable assets have an extra year on their contracts (Hamer, Edmundson, Hunt, Coke... 😉).

Other than that, this squad could be completely gutted in the summer.  Now there's a lot of players that are "take it or leave it", but would you trust Lemsagam and whoever the manager is at that stage to completely rebuild the squad?

Oddly the only player I think we need to offer a new deal to is 37 year old Peter Clarke.  I think we'll really struggle to replace his influence at the club.

On 1/8/2019 at 8:54 AM, Crusoe said:

1. Daniel Iversen (season loan from Leicester City)

13. Zeus de la Paz (2019)

43. Ewan McFarlane (youth)

2. Cameron Dummigan (option taken to 2019)

3. Andy Taylor (2019)

4. George Edmundson (2020)

15. Sonhy Sefil (2020)

20. Jamie Stott (2020 plus option)

23. Rob Hunt (2020)

26. Peter Clarke (2019)

33. Jay Sheridan (2019)

34. Tom Hamer (2020)

45. Harry Norris (youth)

49. Javid Swaby-Neavin (youth)

6. Dan Gardner (2019)

7. Giles Coke (2020)

8. Jose Baxter (2019 plus option)

17. Christopher Missilou (2019)

22. Johan Branger-Engone (2019)

24. Ousmane Fane (option taken to 2019)

25. Chinedu Uche (2019, possibly plus option) - currently with Glossop, not sure if on loan

27. Gevaro Nepomuceno (2019)

28. Mohamed Maouche (2019 plus option)

42. Mohamad Sylla (2020)

46. Harry Robinson (youth)

59. Jack Williams (youth)

10. Chris O'Grady (2019)

11. Urko Vera (2019)

14. Jonathan Benteke (2019)

19. Callum Lang (season loan)

21. Courtney Duffus (2019 plus option)

44. Max Norman (youth)

I can see more than a dozen of those departing. 

I do respect the sentiment of those who criticise AL for apparently interfering in team selection. 

At the same time it does seem to revolve around just one situation i.e. Nepo at left back rather than in a more attacking role. Presumably leaving out  Branger. I can’t recall any other suggestions as how he has interfered in actual selection from the pool of fit players suitable for the first XI.

Are we over emphasing this particular problem?

26 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

I do respect the sentiment of those who criticise AL for apparently interfering in team selection. 

At the same time it does seem to revolve around just one situation i.e. Nepo at left back rather than in a more attacking role. Presumably leaving out  Branger. I can’t recall any other suggestions as how he has interfered in actual selection from the pool of fit players suitable for the first XI.

No, we aren’t.

It doesn’t matter whether AL is forcing the manager to play 1 or 11 of his preferred players. The fact he’s doing undermines any effect a manager can have on his team. 

22 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

He shouldn't be interfering full stop, I'm pretty sure any manager worth their salt wouldn't stand for it and it's probably the reason Wilds been given the gig, against a Donny team who score pretty regularly I'd have been much happier to see Hunt at left back with Branger and Nepo on either flank, three central midfielders Missilou/Sylla/Baxter and Lang upfront on his own.

8 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

Well Vera didn't start which suggests that was PWs call.

Also Sefil was swiftly moved to Ashton United.

I'd say though it's mystifying why he persists with Branger.

14 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Well Vera didn't start which suggests that was PWs call.

Also Sefil was swiftly moved to Ashton United.

I'd say though it's mystifying why he persists with Branger.

It was MLs call, you would hope that he would see that O'Grady was a better option than Vera. If he didn't then we are well and truly in big trouble going forward.

17 hours ago, laticsmarra said:

It was MLs call, you would hope that he would see that O'Grady was a better option than Vera. If he didn't then we are well and truly in big trouble going forward.

How many minutes has Vera had ? He will definitely not improve with fitness. Fuck giving the man a chance cos he’s an AL bumboy. I wonder how he’s managed to get any game time in Spain’s top division? Fucksakes...