Squad movements, January 2019

1 hour ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

How many minutes has Vera had ? He will definitely not improve with fitness. Fuck giving the man a chance cos he’s an AL bumboy. I wonder how he’s managed to get any game time in Spain’s top division? Fucksakes...

That language is a bit strong although you are obviously very upset. Vera has played  about 100 minutes and in that time I too have seen nothing to suggest that he can add anythng to the squad.In summary,I agree with you ,but not the way you have phrased it.

1 hour ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

How many minutes has Vera had ? He will definitely not improve with fitness. Fuck giving the man a chance cos he’s an AL bumboy. I wonder how he’s managed to get any game time in Spain’s top division? Fucksakes...

Maybe, and it's a crazy thought, that other coaches and managers might know a bit, change that, sh*t loads more than you.

Lyden was unfit when he came and turned out to be useful, if somewhat injury prone.....same with Maouche and Missilou and both have turned out to be essential starters.

Let's see if the backroom staff can do something with him first before writing him off.

57 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

Maybe, and it's a crazy thought, that other coaches and managers might know a bit, change that, sh*t loads more than you.

Lyden was unfit when he came and turned out to be useful, if somewhat injury prone.....same with Maouche and Missilou and both have turned out to be essential starters.

Let's see if the backroom staff can do something with him first before writing him off.

I know pal. I was being sarcastic. It doesn’t always come over that way I’m the written word tho. I think he will come good and can’t believe how many people don’t learn to give a player time. So as not to look a divvy when they do have summat about them. 

5 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I know pal. I was being sarcastic. It doesn’t always come over that way I’m the written word tho. I think he will come good and can’t believe how many people don’t learn to give a player time. So as not to look a divvy when they do have summat about them. 

Sarcasm doesn't always come across...….I think I'm guilty of being a grumpy old b*stard and being up for a verbal fight with everybody!!!

With the two young strikers coming in and Duffus going out, what do people think of our overall business in January?

Keepers - nothing has changed, happy with Iversen as number one.

Defenders - we have more than enough quality and depth within the squad, but I don't understand why Hunt hasn't been sold if we're so hell bent on him not playing!  Good luck to Iacovitti but with Stott doing well and Nepomuceno having the left back slot as his own (rightly or wrongly) I'm not sure where he'll fit in.

Midfielders - In the centre Missilou, Sylla, Maouche and Baxter certainly give us the numbers in centre mid, but I'm not convinced that they're going to fire us higher than we currently are.  On the flanks the left side belongs to Branger-Engone (rightly or wrongly) but I'm surprised and disappointed that Lang will have to play on the right because we have no other option.  I'm guessing that either of the striker loanees might be able to play there but it's a risk to play them out of position.

Forwards - I believe that both O'Grady and Vera would do fairly well up front with one of the younger loanees (Lang included too).  But to accomodate other player's (rightly or fucking wrongly!) we seem to have to play one up front...meaning the O'Grady and Vera won't be particularly effective.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

6 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

With the two young strikers coming in and Duffus going out, what do people think of our overall business in January?

Keepers - nothing has changed, happy with Iversen as number one.

Defenders - we have more than enough quality and depth within the squad, but I don't understand why Hunt hasn't been sold if we're so hell bent on him not playing!  Good luck to Iacovitti but with Stott doing well and Nepomuceno having the left back slot as his own (rightly or wrongly) I'm not sure where he'll fit in.

Midfielders - In the centre Missilou, Sylla, Maouche and Baxter certainly give us the numbers in centre mid, but I'm not convinced that they're going to fire us higher than we currently are.  On the flanks the left side belongs to Branger-Engone (rightly or wrongly) but I'm surprised and disappointed that Lang will have to play on the right because we have no other option.  I'm guessing that either of the striker loanees might be able to play there but it's a risk to play them out of position.

Forwards - I believe that both O'Grady and Vera would do fairly well up front with one of the younger loanees (Lang included too).  But to accomodate other player's (rightly or fucking wrongly!) we seem to have to play one up front...meaning the O'Grady and Vera won't be particularly effective.

Dearnley played his last 2 games for Utd U23s (v Fulham & Villa) on the RW. He also played 15 last season 3 or LW, 3 as CF and 6 as RW. 

He may have been wrongly named as a striker in the 

1 hour ago, singe said:

Dearnley played his last 2 games for Utd U23s (v Fulham & Villa) on the RW. He also played 15 last season 3 or LW, 3 as CF and 6 as RW. 

He may have been wrongly named as a striker in the 

So Abdallah will be playing him at right back then.

1. Daniel Iversen (season loan from Leicester City)

13. Zeus de la Paz (2019)

43. Ewan McFarlane (youth)

2. Cameron Dummigan (option taken to 2019)

3. Andy Taylor (2019)

4. George Edmundson (2020)

5. Alex Iacovitti (half-season loan)

15. Sonhy Sefil (2020) - out on loan to Ashton

20. Jamie Stott (2020 plus option)

23. Rob Hunt (2020)

26. Peter Clarke (2019)

33. Jay Sheridan (2019)

34. Tom Hamer (2020)

45. Harry Norris (youth)

49. Javid Swaby-Neavin (youth) - out on loan to Ashton

6. Dan Gardner (2019)

7. Giles Coke (2020)

8. Jose Baxter (2019 plus option)

17. Christopher Missilou (2019)

22. Johan Branger-Engone (2019)

24. Ousmane Fane (option taken to 2019) - may have left, not confirmed

25. Chinedu Uche (2019, possibly plus option) - may have left, not confirmed

27. Gevaro Nepomuceno (2019)

28. Mohamed Maouche (2019 plus option)

42. Mohamad Sylla (2020)

46. Harry Robinson (youth)

59. Jack Williams (youth)

9. Zak Dearnley (half-season loan)

10. Chris O'Grady (2019)

11. Urko Vera (2019)

14. Jonathan Benteke (2019)

18. Oladapo Afolayan (half-season loan)

19. Callum Lang (season loan)

44. Max Norman (youth)

Edited by Crusoe

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

Jamie Stott back to Stockport on loan, but presumably we won't see him again?

If he's not the future then next years squad is very threadbare

Sefil CB

Edmundson CB

Hamer RB

Sylla MF

Coke MF

Let's hope AL is saving every penny this season to fund a huge push next season, despite no evidence of any funds! Scholes has said he wants a lean squad.

Not really an established first teamer next season. Edmundson being a regualar this seaosn but you'd hardly call him indispensible.

It seems possible that not a single player will be here at the start of next season.

Edited by singe

2 minutes ago, singe said:

If he's not the future then next years squad is very threadbare

Sefil CB

Edmundson CB

Hamer RB

Sylla MF

Coke MF

Let's hope AL is saving every penny this season to fund a huge push next season, despite no evidence of any funds!

Not really an established first teamer next season. Edmundson being a regualar this seaosn but you'd hardly call him indispensible.

It seems possible that not a single player will be here at the start of next season.

You've been studying the "gospel according to Kusunga" a little too much.....I'm confident we'll have at least eleven players come August ! 

1 minute ago, Bobledgersheart said:

You've been studying the "gospel according to Kusunga" a little too much.....I'm confident we'll have at least eleven players come August ! 

Oh I don't mean that, I'm not worried about getting a team together. What I mean is that we might have a thinnner squad of quality players, but the worry is no signs of funds for that so we end up with a new squad of French 4th division. Really hoping for the former obviously.

It will be interesting if PS signs any out of contract current players. Not many are must haves on the team sheet.

Assuming normal budget rather than hidden slush fund I'd imagine he'd be happy to re-sign

La Paz, CLarke maybe as  player coach, Jose, Missilou, Nepo and that's about it.

With a better budget it's hard to argue for hardly any of them is it?

8 minutes ago, singe said:

Oh I don't mean that, I'm not worried about getting a team together. What I mean is that we might have a thinnner squad of quality players, but the worry is no signs of funds for that so we end up with a new squad of French 4th division. Really hoping for the former obviously.

It will be interesting if PS signs any out of contract current players. Not many are must haves on the team sheet.

Assuming normal budget rather than hidden slush fund I'd imagine he'd be happy to re-sign

La Paz, CLarke maybe as  player coach, Jose, Missilou, Nepo and that's about it.

With a better budget it's hard to argue for hardly any of them is it?

OK, was being a bit facetious but it's been the same for quite a few seasons lurching from one manager to another.

The eternal optimist in me hopes this time it will be different with a well-connected manager able to assemble a bespoke squad of decent players.

The main thing I'd like to see is our managers be given time to fail not the revolving door policy we, and the majority of other football clubs, pursue.

Maybe, just maybe, Scholes' high profile will enable him to break the mould.

1 minute ago, Bobledgersheart said:

OK, was being a bit facetious but it's been the same for quite a few seasons lurching from one manager to another.

The eternal optimist in me hopes this time it will be different with a well-connected manager able to assemble a bespoke squad of decent players.

The main thing I'd like to see is our managers be given time to fail not the revolving door policy we, and the majority of other football clubs, pursue.

Maybe, just maybe, Scholes' high profile will enable him to break the mould.

Absolutely, fingers firmly crossed.

I've said before I worry PS will get bored, but if he is here then a clean broom and a better quality of player and PS being nearby and content  like you say will  finally break the revolving door.

52 minutes ago, alwaysblue said:

He is under contract with us till the end of next season.

For now. Can't see why PS would let him go back to the conf north if he was going to be in his plans for next season when he could be playing for us.

On an unrelated note, apparently relegation Dan has been offered another year :(