Doncaster (A)

11 hours ago, rudemedic said:

I was on a bus where some Donny fan, who was probably a few sandwiches short of a picnic to begin with, was getting all het up about it. 

He was clearly blaming one of Donny's fans, who happened to be on the same bus, for starting it. 

Don't think either Donny fan knew just how many Oldham were on the bus. 

I think there was some bother last season and apparently our firm turned theirs over earlier in the day. 

It was probably kindergarten level compared with the Millwall - Everton bundle that's been doing the rounds. But unfortunately I couldn't see it. 

Was on the same bus. “ Dean’s dad” caused it as he said ad nauseam !

1 hour ago, Lukers1 said:

I don’t really go to many games due to work commitments but I hang on to every word that comes out of the club and take note of the respected posters who post on the forum.

I watched the game on my tablet, as soon as the ball went in I thought it was a pen. I’ve seen it over and over again and I do still think it was a pen.

Clarke, the goalie and missile were standouts, the rest, well, let’s just say we are a million miles away from going up.

Your first line makes your opinion in the last line of low value. 

By your own admission you haven't see much of the team or the league.

We aren’t a ”million miles away”, that is clear to most balanced opinions, as is shown  by the actual table.  This league is poor and it wouldn’t take much to sort out a run. 

16 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

We aren’t a ”million miles away”, that is clear to most balanced opinions, as is shown  by the actual table.  This league is poor and it wouldn’t take much to sort out a run. 

Phew!  There's me thinking Lukers1 is bang on.

Can't wait until it all comes together..

14 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

This league is poor and it wouldn’t take much to sort out a run. 

Which for me is the big frustration, Macclesfield and to a degree Donny could of been so different if we'd managed to bring in the three or four we are so desperate for. 

A result at Macclesfield and we'd be 5 points of the play offs with two games in hand but it just feels like AL is kidding us through the season and isn't really bothered about the outcome yesterday because there is no urgency to get the season going again.

17 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

It’s all down to opinions and you are one of the more experienced on here with good analysis of the games. The term “million miles away” may seem harsh but we are currently 12th in a division which is truly of a shambolic standard. Take the cup run out of the equation and look at some of the results, Carlisle away has been removed out of my memory and I’ve been watching the team for 40 plus years. That’s up there with the bashing we had of the MK Dons and the Leeds 6.0 away in 84.

2 hours ago, Lukers1 said:

I don’t really go to many games due to work commitments but I hang on to every word that comes out of the club and take note of the respected posters who post on the forum. 

I watched the game on my tablet, as soon as the ball went in I thought it was a pen. I’ve seen it over and over again and I do still think it was a pen.

Clarke, the goalie and missile were standouts, the rest, well, let’s just say we are a million miles away from going up.

Wow 😮 

I know that this board, and football generally, is awash with differing opinions - that is what makes the debate so compelling and also so baffling. Everyone is entitled to express his or her view on events and as long as that view is put forward honestly (and without resorting to insult or prejudice) then it has validity. Even if it is totally at odds with what I believe.

I was at the game and have subsequently watched the playback of the incident a dozen times. At the time, neither the referee nor his assistant instantly  thought that it was a penalty. The subsequent decision, informed by god only knows what additional information, was to award the spot kick. Baffling indeed.

We competed well yesterday away from home against a League 1 team who are in a decent run of form. 

Pete Wild made a couple of good observations in his post match interview:

“I thought we looked a threat in the second half, however we've got to keep the ball better.

We're good at soaking up pressure, but we've got to do better when we're breaking teams down and I don't think we were great at that aspect today.”

Too often we relied on clearing our lines rather than looking to retain possession- none more so than the period immediately following our equaliser. One to explore on the training pitch.

A million miles away? I don’t think that is the case. If we add a proper striker next week then we have a chance of making the play-offs.

Edited by TheBigDog

3 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

What is your opinion of the referee and linesman changing their minds?

Why do you think they did it?

Do you think that was justified?

1. In general I think a referee should be given time to make a decision and should consult his assistants if they have seen anything. They made their decision because they saw Clarke lead with his arm towards the ball.

2. The referee did it probably because the assistant was in his ear and the crowd and the players all appealed for a penalty this may well have swayed him.

3. Were his actions to change his mind or consult with the linesman justified absolutely. Was the penalty justified my first reaction was it was a pen after watching it back a few times then I'd say it's inconclusive so for that reason we can be seen as being unlucky.

Now I sound like I'm blaming Clarke for yesterday and to an extent that might be the case but not totally. If he doesn't clear that one off the line or score that equaliser then the penalty would have been academic as the game would already be over. It's possibly an instinctive reaction to the ball bouncing around in the 6 yard box in the last minute. Also without him this season we'd be screwed  as he has held things together both on and off the pitch for the football club.

What I'm not buying is that this is somekind of massive injustice.

Edited by GlossopLatic

8 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

A million miles away? I don’t think that is the case. If we add a proper striker next week then we have a chance of making the play-offs.

In the league we are a million miles away. We lack any consistency. The two cup games are by far the best Missilou has played for us, which suggests he can only be arsed with the big games. Last weekend we were comfortably beaten by the second worst club in the entire league. We've lost 6-0 this season and have won and drawn a lot of games where piss poor finishing from the opposition or outstanding goal keeping has meant we've sneaked enough points to keep us in mid-table.

We might just need that decent striker to make up for our short falls in the other areas of the pitch. Hopefully it might be Surridge, but I think it's more likely to be another hopeless unheard of from the French Fourth division..

4 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

1. In general I think a referee should be given time to make a decision and should consult his assistants if they have seen anything. They made their decision because they saw Clarke lead with his arm towards the ball.

2. The referee did it probably because the assistant was in his ear and the crowd and the players all appealed for a penalty this may well have suede him.

3. Were his actions to change his mind or consult with the linesman justified absolutely. Was the penalty justified my first reaction was it was a pen after watching it back a few times then I'd say it's inconclusive so for that reason we can be seen as being unlucky.

Now I sound like I'm blaming Clarke for yesterday and to an extent that might be the case but not totally. If he doesn't clear that one off the line or score that equaliser then the penalty would have been academic as the game would already be over. It's possibly an instinctive reaction to the ball bouncing around in the 6 yard box in the last minute. Also without him this season we'd be screwed  as he has held things together both on and off the pitch for the football club.

What I'm not buying is that this is somekind of massive injustice.

Didn't think you could answer it. But you made me giggle with suede.

8 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

Didn't think you could answer it. But you made me giggle with suede.

My spelling is shit granted :)

I don't know why I used the 90's Britpop band perhaps they are touring with Macc and the Vegans (I liked that one)

Edited by GlossopLatic

1 hour ago, Stevie_J said:

Well done, Keeper!

Lucky not to have been sent off for that.

Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force ....... against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.

50 minutes ago, Longlostfan said:

Lucky not to have been sent off for that.

Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force ....... against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.

He threw the ball at him. The same way he throws the ball towards one of our players. 

He probably did exactly the right thing to discourage the fan from approaching him. 

If he had gotten a red card for that the FA might as well ban all fans from grounds. 

3 hours ago, JoeP said:

The two cup games are by far the best Missilou has played for us, which suggests he can only be arsed with the big games.

This is simple not true. I and many came away from the Crewe game (its on here) saying that is was one of the best midfield displays they had seen in ages. Crewe have since beaten Lincoln and MK. Granted he and the team were terrible at Macc.

21 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

I thought we put in a gargantuan effort today against a clearly much better side who've been doing very well a league higher. 

Iversen Man of the Match by a country mile. 

Tactics were clearly to contain them for the first half then have a go to whatever extent we could second half and it nearly worked.

Actually it did work until the officials did their thing. 

I thought the ref gave a lot of bizarre decisions in OUR favour aswell as theirs first half.

Just largely clueless from the off - something seriously has to be done. 

Try and find a radio clip (5live or TalkSport) of John Coleman speaking after Accrington's game where he describes to a tee exactly what we seem to suffer week in, week out. 

Clarke's clearance off the line (which had more than a hint of offside) was a defending equivalent of Gordon Banks's save from Pele in 1970.

Truly unbelievable, especially from someone knocking on as much as he now is. 

He was clearly hurt and for him to soldier on, get the equaliser and then get sent off for nothing more than letting their keeper "know he was there" was all quite incredible. 

He's right up there with Gregan, Eyres & others on the list of greats who never actually won anything with us after today, if he wasn't already.   

Sylla looked much more like the player it looked like we might have signed after his first game. 

Assuming he's not that fit/sharp yet he could be very good over the coming months. 

Branger arguably had his best game for us so far (I appreciate the sample size is small :grin: ) especially in the second half when he was involved in everything. 

Baxter was much better which bodes very well. Strange comments though as I did't think anybody shirked anything. 

Nepo was quality again, even at left back - did WIld push him forward second half or did he just think "fuck this"? 

All in all it was absolutely gutting to lose in the way we did but I thought we were excellent and Wildy got it as right as he possibly could given what he had at his disposable.

2 or 3 signings this week and I still think we can go up. 

As an aside the Poundshop Hooliganism on the way back to the industrial estate was cringe factor 10.

I've never thrown a punch at football in my life but almost felt a need to just to ease the embarrassment for all concerned. 

Millennials eh? 

Spot on.

54 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

This is simple not true. I and many came away from the Crewe game (its on here) saying that is was one of the best midfield displays they had seen in ages. Crewe have since beaten Lincoln and MK. Granted he and the team were terrible at Macc.

I'll give you Crewe - he was good then.

The general point still stands, in my opinion.

Edited by JoeP

20 hours ago, adamoafc said:

Branger played well second half? Must have been watching a different game. Yes he had loads of possession but what chances did he create barring his own shot? Nothing. End product so poor and he is so weak. Not been one to slate him but today was shocking in my opinion. 

He created chances.Why didn't you see them?If there is a copy of the match watch it again.

2 minutes ago, alwaysblue said:

He created chances.Why didn't you see them?If there is a copy of the match watch it again.

Genuinely interested other than his shot what did he create? Crossing was poor. I like the fact he can drive with the ball but doesn’t do it anywhere near enough. He finds it easier after trying to beat a man comes back on himself to do it again. 

17 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Let’s move on from the pen decision. Can’t change it now. 

Thought Clarke and Iversen played out of their absolute skins today and if it wasn’t for them we would have been about 2/3 down at half time.

I think we could have won that if the chairman hadn’t picked the team today and we still had Sam Surridge.

Branger looked alright on the ball but was too bothered about himself ultimately.

The season is now over so no rush from Abdallah now. If fast forwarding to August 2019 was an option...

Love to know where you get your information.So the chairman picked the team.How do you know?You couldn't make it up could you?could you?