AL (allegedly) signing players over managers head.

Are you OK with Abdallah making most of our signings?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Are you OK with Abdallah making most of our signings?

• Yes
    • No

I think that it’s a managers neck on the block, he who has to front the media and explain his decisions, also take the stick from the fans when or if it goes wrong so the manager should get to sign and pick the players and live or die by his decisions. It’s black and white then, whereas if players are signed above his head or players picked not by him, who should front up to the media and fans? Grey area then for me.

i get the fact often it’s the club owners money but still, if you appoint a manager you should trust that manager to make the right decisions, if you don’t, then perhaps it’s you at fault not getting the manager right in the first place

It's a yes from me if it about bringing in players alongside the manager for trials and training to see fit and spreading the net as wide as possible.

A huge no if like has been hinted at the manager doesn't want them and are signed anyway or worse yet made to play them.

Many teams run a Head Coach role and I'm fine with that as a team our size with little to no scouting team should use what ever contacts we have.

But manager/head coach MUST have the final say.

It depends on the motives.  If it's for the benefit of the club, then fine to an extent - the player must be wanted by the manager.

If it allegedly divided the dressing room last season then it was a massive contributing factor to our relegation.

Even taking that out of it, other than a few fleeting individual performances, there's very little evidence to suggest it's a recruitment policy worth sticking to, in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, JoeP said:

It depends on the motives.  If it's for the benefit of the club, then fine to an extent - the player must be wanted by the manager.

If it allegedly divided the dressing room last season then it was a massive contributing factor to our relegation.

Even taking that out of it, other than a few fleeting individual performances, there's very little evidence to suggest it's a recruitment policy worth sticking to, in my opinion.

That opinion will not be popular.

There’s got to be a reason (given the current position with strikers (or the lack of them) why Courtney Duffus hasn’t been given a chance since his return from loan and that can only be interference from Lemsagam... I just wish the guy would be honest and tell us the truth instead of the slowly slowly c..p that he keeps on spouting 

39 minutes ago, mad4it said:

There’s got to be a reason (given the current position with strikers (or the lack of them) why Courtney Duffus hasn’t been given a chance since his return from loan and that can only be interference from Lemsagam... I just wish the guy would be honest and tell us the truth instead of the slowly slowly c..p that he keeps on spouting 

He doesn’t say that much actually. 

1 hour ago, mad4it said:

Hi Courtney.

Have you considered that it might be because Courtney isn't that good. 

7 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Don’t think Kyeremeh was an AL signing, and he was good, he just got injured.

Forgot Nazon.

Anybody that doesn’t want to keep Maouche is just being mental.

Kyeremeh rocked up for trial at the same time Corney & Abdallah we’re first talking.

Why? It’s safe to say the boy is technically good & can pick a pass.... however he couldn’t catch the team under a succession of managers, gets caught out of position too often, has picked up 2 red cards and only scored 2 goals? At this moment in time, you’d be mad if you definitely wanted to keep him.

Edited by lookersstandandy

43 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

How many times have you seen him play Ben?

Enough. But actually he wasn't picked by 4 managers, who will have seen him play a lot more than any of us. 

It wasn't like he scored more than a goal a game in the pub league that is the Irish League. 

People seem to be looking for a conspiracy where there probably isn't one. 

The recruitment side of it doesn't bother me.  If you're being taken over by a former agent then it's naive to think that they wouldn't want to bring in some of their clients

I think AL has done OK recruitment-wise.  You can at least see why he thought most of his recruits would do OK for us and he hasn't restricted the managers from bringing in their own players.  Bunn seemed OK with how things worked in the summer window.

It's his club so it's his choice how he runs it, but I hope he learns to be honest about his methods and shows a clear direction that we're heading in.  I thought Bunn was a limited yet stable choice, which is fine if he wanted to settle things down (slowly slowly and all that), but his own actions were as provoking and unsettling as possible which makes the appointment pointless.

If he thinks that ruffling feathers is the way to go then so be it, hire a manager who will do just that.  Scholes seems like the type that's happy to do this and I'd love it if he succeeds, but AL has to let Scholes do the ruffling rather than AL going off on one and undermining him.

The dressing room and (to a lesser extent) the training ground is where the lines need to be drawn.  That's where the manager lives and dies by his decisions so they deserve a free reign to put across their methods in ways they see fit.  If AL interferes then any manager who comes here has a legitimate excuse for failing, which is when the club suffers.

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

1. Enough. But actually he wasn't picked by 4 managers, who will have seen him play a lot more than any of us. 

2. It wasn't like he scored more than a goal a game in the pub league that is the Irish League. 

3. People seem to be looking for a conspiracy where there probably isn't one. 

1. How many is enough? I've only seen him once and so am not in a place to judge. Is Maouche good enough? He wasn't picked by 4 managers either......

2. He did at the start.... and then went off the boil.......?

3. If there wasn't a non-footballing agenda, he'd be training with the 1st team and should've the made the bench against FGR when we didn't name a full compliment.

52 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

3. If there wasn't a non-footballing agenda, he'd be training with the 1st team and should've the made the bench against FGR when we didn't name a full compliment.

The non-footballing agenda is that AL wants him off the books. If he plays for us then he can only play for us or Waterford for the rest of the season. Nothing more, nothing less.

3 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

The non-footballing agenda is that AL wants him off the books. If he plays for us then he can only play for us or Waterford for the rest of the season. Nothing more, nothing less.

I know.... AL falls out with lots of his employees.... and treats them all like naughty school children. It's not healthy.

15 hours ago, stott182 said:

It's a yes from me if it about bringing in players alongside the manager for trials and training to see fit and spreading the net as wide as possible.

A huge no if like has been hinted at the manager doesn't want them and are signed anyway or worse yet made to play them.

Many teams run a Head Coach role and I'm fine with that as a team our size with little to no scouting team should use what ever contacts we have.

But manager/head coach MUST have the final say.

Problem is, as with what happened with Shez early last season, if 50 turn up and he has to pick the best 5, it doesnt necessarily make them good enough. Just better than the rest of the dross.

5 hours ago, mad4it said:

We've been through this. If he plays for us he cant be moved on in Jan. Makes sense