AL (allegedly) signing players over managers head.

Are you OK with Abdallah making most of our signings?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Are you OK with Abdallah making most of our signings?

• Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I think AL has done OK recruitment-wise.  You can at least see why he thought most of his recruits would do OK for us and he hasn't restricted the managers from bringing in their own players.  Bunn seemed OK with how things worked in the summer window.

It's his club so it's his choice how he runs it, but I hope he learns to be honest about his methods and shows a clear direction that we're heading in.  I thought Bunn was a limited yet stable choice, which is fine if he wanted to settle things down (slowly slowly and all that), but his own actions were as provoking and unsettling as possible which makes the appointment pointless.

Surprised you think he's done OK recruitment-wise. His recruits have lead to a relegation last season and are unlikely to drive us to promotion this season. 

I also have issue with the notion that it's "his club". It's not - its ours. As the current incumbent he'll just be a blot on the historical landscape while the fans will always remain. What is up to him is whether we wants to be remembered as a success or a failure. 

Got to be honest, the early indications aren't good..

Edited by JoeP

59 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

We've been through this. If he plays for us he cant be moved on in Jan. Makes sense

Makes no sense whatsoever, we currently need forwards, and to let one go would be madness , we’ve signed Vera , can you honestly say that he's any better than Duffus ?????

4 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Hi Courtney.

Have you considered that it might be because Courtney isn't that good. 

That maybe so, but can you honestly say that Vera, or Benteke are world beaters . The decision not to play him is purely based on his tweets and his reaction to the circus / clown thread put on by Davies. 

35 minutes ago, mad4it said:

Makes no sense whatsoever, we currently need forwards, and to let one go would be madness , we’ve signed Vera , can you honestly say that he's any better than Duffus ?????

AL isn't going to let him go without a replacement lined up (same for Benteke). 

Vera has scored more goals than Duffus. 

I really think you are over thinking things. If Duffus plays for us he can't then play for anyone else, this season. It is in his interests to not play for us, no matter how good he is. 

58 minutes ago, mad4it said:

Haven't seen either of them play so no. Point is, if they need to get bodies out at the end of Jan to get people in , they cant get rid of him if they play him.

28 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

AL isn't going to let him go without a replacement lined up (same for Benteke). 

Vera has scored more goals than Duffus. 

I really think you are over thinking things. If Duffus plays for us he can't then play for anyone else, this season. It is in his interests to not play for us, no matter how good he is. 

Not really, by the time we sign a new manager, the transfer window will be closed, so they’ll be no need to move players on. As for Vera scoring more goals than Duffus, he’s 8 years older so is bound to have scored more goals , he’s also played for 19 other clubs during his senior career, so hasn’t actually set the football world alight , but the point is Vera is clearly a signing influenced by Lemsagam as opposed to Bunn, Wild or Scholes (should he become our new manager) 

2 minutes ago, mad4it said:

Not really, by the time we sign a new manager, the transfer window will be closed, so they’ll be no need to move players on. As for Vera scoring more goals than Duffus, he’s 8 years older so is bound to have scored more goals , he’s also played for 19 other clubs during his senior career, so hasn’t actually set the football world alight , but the point is Vera is clearly a signing influenced by Lemsagam as opposed to Bunn, Wild or Scholes (should he become our new manager) 

My belief is UK players on loan have been approached prior to AL going on his break.

1 hour ago, mad4it said:

Can anyone honestly say that they have the faintest clue which one is better than the other?

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

My belief is UK players on loan have been approached prior to AL going on his break.

At least we don't have a big game this weekend with a huge pot of gold at stake for the winner, any chairman with an iota of sense would be strengthening and giving the club every opportunity to progress from what is a very winnable tie.

AL fucking off to Dubai and extending his stay throughout the transfer window is getting weirder by the day and a cynic might say it's because he doesn't want to appoint a new man and then release funds to strengthen in what is the most important period of the season. 

26 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

At least we don't have a big game this weekend with a huge pot of gold at stake for the winner, any chairman with an iota of sense would be strengthening and giving the club every opportunity to progress from what is a very winnable tie.

AL fucking off to Dubai and extending his stay throughout the transfer window is getting weirder by the day and a cynic might say it's because he doesn't want to appoint a new man and then release funds to strengthen in what is the most important period of the season. 

Asking a lot for Scholes to come in and have a massive impact on this squad straight away, think rest of this season will be about letting him get feet under the table, sort out who he wants and doesn't want then have a good go at it next season.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Asking a lot for Scholes to come in and have a massive impact on this squad straight away, think rest of this season will be about letting him get feet under the table, sort out who he wants and doesn't want then have a good go at it next season.

Oh right so we're getting all Corneyesq and writing seasons off once we are safe.

Invariably when a new managers appointed you get a bounce in much the same way we did when Wild took over I personally was hoping for the same from the permanent appointment. 

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

How many players at our financial and league level will be available that aren't cup tied?

AL being in Dubai hasn't stopped us signing players to date and there is still just over a week to get players in...…….not worried.

3 hours ago, mad4it said:

Vera has scored more goals for Oldham. 

IIRC Duffus took a penalty in a pre-season friendly and missed. 

1 minute ago, rudemedic said:

Vera has scored more goals for Oldham. 

IIRC Duffus took a penalty in a pre-season friendly and missed. 

And Vera took a penalty against Macclesfield and almost missed , other than that I can’t even remember him having another attempt on goal (let alone a shot on target) !!!!!

15 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

AL being in Dubai hasn't stopped us signing players to date and there is still just over a week to get players in...…….not worried.

You honestly think our latest recruits are what we need? We've lost three players who'd of been on the team sheet Saturday and replaced them with a centre half who I presume is here for cover, a centre mid who is way off the pace and a centre forward who makes O'Grady look like Ronaldo, I'm not worried - it is what it is but we are a few days away from a huge FA Cup tie and only five points of the playoffs yet seem content to fill the squad out with mediocre players who are a massive downgrade on what we've lost.

9 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

You honestly think our latest recruits are what we need? We've lost three players who'd of been on the team sheet Saturday and replaced them with a centre half who I presume is here for cover, a centre mid who is way off the pace and a centre forward who makes O'Grady look like Ronaldo, I'm not worried - it is what it is but we are a few days away from a huge FA Cup tie and only five points of the playoffs yet seem content to fill the squad out with mediocre players who are a massive downgrade on what we've lost.

Lyden.…..injured when he came and off the pace when he first got a chance.

O'Grady heavily criticised until as being slow and off the pace.

Maouche heavily criticised in his first year as being lightweight and off the pace.

Missilou heavily criticised as being of more danger to our team until he got used to the pace.

Taylor.….praised when he came for his experience as he was a "proper" left back.

Baxter…..some were w*nking themselves when we re-signed him.

Vera......one game.

Scylla.….one and a half games.

Read back and see the criticism for the first list of players when they first arrived and see how they are/were viewed.

All I'm saying is players, especially the foreign contingent, need to be played in and any UK players may not necessarily work out when brought in.

45 minutes ago, mad4it said:

And Vera took a penalty against Macclesfield and almost missed , other than that I can’t even remember him having another attempt on goal (let alone a shot on target) !!!!!

You are aware that missing is a yes/no outcome. You either miss or you don't. 

He didn't, he scored. He has more goals for Oldham than Duffus, despite starting the same number of competitive games. 

Edited by rudemedic

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Oh right so we're getting all Corneyesq and writing seasons off once we are safe.

Invariably when a new managers appointed you get a bounce in much the same way we did when Wild took over I personally was hoping for the same from the permanent appointment. 

Not writing it off but there's only going to be so much left in the pot once Scholes and his staff are in place, I think we can assume he will be taking a bit more than the 40k Bunn was rumoured to be on.

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Not writing it off but there's only going to be so much left in the pot once Scholes and his staff are in place, I think we can assume he will be taking a bit more than the 40k Bunn was rumoured to be on.

Do you think? 

His motivation can't possibly be money (if he takes the job, which I don't think will happen..).  I think he'll be on a fairly token salary.

Edited by JoeP

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

Do you think? 

His motivation can't possibly be money (if he takes the job, which I don't think will happen..).  I think he'll be on a fairly token salary.

He's obviously not a flashy guy but he's still got a lifestyle to maintain, can't see him being on less than 4-5k a week.

47 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

You are aware that missing is a yes/no outcome. You either miss or you don't. 

He didn't, he scored. He had more goals for Oldham than Duffus, despite starting the same number of competitive games. 

And are you aware that the lone striker up front isn’t working, you only have to look

at the bench for the past few games to realise that we need more options up front , Vera clearly isn’t match fit, clearly needs to adjust to the pace and physical nature of the 4th division and other than us who else in league 1 and 3 are scouring the lower European (mainly French) leagues find players ... !!

Edited by mad4it