21 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

....therefore, either his primary motive - for a buying a failing League One football club that doesn’t own land or the only stand that has potential to make non match income, in a cold/wet part of Northern Europe - is failing, or his primary motive is something else? I can only see stupid or nefarious possible answers...

Maybe he just likes owning a football club.

3 hours ago, Witty said:

For someone who was at the match....

Where the Sylla and Vera substitutions the right choice?

Sylla did well at breaking up the play and won some good balls. However we needed more creativity going forward and Sylla does not look like someone who can do this. Lets be honest he's a Fane type of player! The problem was not taking him off, but was not having someone to come on who could change the game. I get it that Baxter should have been able to this, however he didn't and clearly is not the player he was. He was also not fully fit which is understandable.

Vera is just imobile. He has some good touches and had/made for himself a couple of half chances, but he needs more time to get used to the English game and the pace of it. He will be more of a goal threat than OG I think long term. Right move to sub him off I think,  but again poor quality coming on making no difference. OG hardly broke sweat and was very poor. I'd have given Benteke a go as we were crying out for some pace.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Sylla did well at breaking up the play and won some good balls. However we needed more creativity going forward and Sylla does not look like someone who can do this. Lets be honest he's a Fane type of player! The problem was not taking him off, but was not having someone to come on who could change the game. I get it that Baxter should have been able to this, however he didn't and clearly is not the player he was. He was also not fully fit which is understandable.

Vera is just imobile. He has some good touches and had/made for himself a couple of half chances, but he needs more time to get used to the English game and the pace of it. He will be more of a goal threat than OG I think long term. Right move to sub him off I think,  but again poor quality coming on making no difference. OG hardly broke sweat and was very poor. I'd have given Benteke a go as we were crying out for some pace.

I would have taken Missilou off. Didnt know if he was defensive mid or Steven Gerrard last night.

1 minute ago, youngen said:

I would have taken Missilou off. Didnt know if he was defensive mid or Steven Gerrard last night.

Yep either could have gone off. Neither  were playing that badly or pulling up trees. Both were doing effectively the same holding job, although Missilou does give us a bit more more going forward.

10 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Could argue with the various league payments you don't really need a fortune to be able to own one these days.

We must form an OWTB takeover consortium, must be a few bob here.

What role do each of us fancy? I bags chief scout.😁

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Could argue with the various league payments you don't really need a fortune to be able to own one these days.

To be vaguely competitive you do.

You can't post pictures to OWTB  any more, but the Kieran MAcguire Tweet shows the L2 losses, only a couple making profit.

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

A theory could be that Latics are being used as a showcase for certain players (so a youtube video of their best bits can be made, etc..) and then sold on for a fee, some of which might go to Latics.  A player that's played in the fourth division here is more impressive and gets more coverage than playing in the fourth division in France.  The success of the team could be irrelevant if these certain players do well individually.

Seems like a more straightforward way of making money than having to invest in the team in the vein hope that the team might be successful and therefore profitable later on.

That's what I thought from the outset. There's obviously got to be something in it for them and this is the only plausible answer. Given the recruitment route we've gone down and the fact Abdallah 'was' an agent, it looks like this is how they intend to make their money. 

1 hour ago, singe said:

To be vaguely competitive you do.

You can't post pictures to OWTB  any more, but the Kieran MAcguire Tweet shows the L2 losses, only a couple making profit.

3 of the "in profit" teams went up. I assume then they are only in profit due to prize winnings!

55 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

That's what I thought from the outset. There's obviously got to be something in it for them and this is the only plausible answer. Given the recruitment route we've gone down and the fact Abdallah 'was' an agent, it looks like this is how they intend to make their money. 

Its quite clear that Branger, Missilou and Nepo are in his opinion his biggest assets. Hence why he keeps playing them regardless. 

It does beg the question why we never got anything for Placide and let him go free, as he would surely have been one to command a fee?

1 minute ago, youngen said:

Its quite clear that Branger, Missilou and Nepo are in his opinion his biggest assets. Hence why he keeps playing them regardless. 

It does beg the question why we never got anything for Placide and let him go free, as he would surely have been one to command a fee?

None of these players would command a fee,maybe if Missilou was to continue his improvement until the season end he could feasibly attract a very modest fee.

This business model relies on a he'll of a lot of luck to see a decent return.

16 minutes ago, archiecat said:

None of these players would command a fee,maybe if Missilou was to continue his improvement until the season end he could feasibly attract a very modest fee.

This business model relies on a he'll of a lot of luck to see a decent return.

As much luck as the business model of spending a lot of money in the hope of success on the pitch does?

And yep, none of the players we’ve had would probably command a fee. No one has said it’s a strategy that’s going to work, but these players now are getting more coverage and attention than they were in the French fourth division, which means they’re being better advertised..

Edited by JoeP

22 minutes ago, JoeP said:

As much luck as the business model of spending a lot of money in the hope of success on the pitch does?

And yep, none of the players we’ve had would probably command a fee. No one has said it’s a strategy that’s going to work, but these players now are getting more coverage and attention than they were in the French fourth division, which means they’re being better advertised..

That's all well and good but I don't give a shit how much the :clown: thinks he will earn off the back of these players.I want to turn up every week and be entertained,half of the mugs can't kick a ball straight!

If you are going to import a full team,surely you can bring in better than what is there already.

This lot are without a shadow,the worst team i have ever watched.