My Charity Appeal

The June photos are in the banner below! Note how you can no longer see @Bristolatic's throat. He won't need a scarf next winter but his beard and hair are both, I promise, squeaky clean EVERY day. Nothing else to report except we have a date for the colour dye that will be expertly applied by a stylist called Sam on 27th November 2019. More details to follow much nearer the day for anyone local! He also hopes to make an appearance in full technicolour at Boundary Park in December!

Another of Pete's friends at Warmley Men in Sheds has donated £10 cash - duly banked with MS Trust and added to the offline total at https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/NoBeardOrHairCut

20190601MSFund06_crop.jpg.5f9e4cd083401b39d3a66570641de6ec.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

@Bristolatic sat at his fundraising & MS Trust awareness table in our local Shopping Centre again last Wednesday 19th June. It seemed quite a low footfall again but he raised £87.11 so he's very pleased. He also spoke with 3 people who either had MS or a connection with it. They were pleased to receive verbal and written information and were supportive of Pete in return. 
With another half a year still to go we feel the word is spreading well in this locality. He will be back at his table on August 21st when we plan to include a free activity for younger children as it will be the school holidays - we won't stop teens and adults having a go, but the little prizes might not suit! More about this when we have it ready.
I will let you know as and when the Fund is increased. Currently running at £1188.06

And I'd like August to be a tad warmer. It is a bit like being sat in the street with the open sided, multi-storey car park only a few metres away. We're off to MS Trust HQ in Letchworth Garden City in three weeks' time to meet the fundraising team there; they've been brilliant with their support and regular updates. They want to make a video of us! :sign0068:I'll have to learn how to talk proper like.

Well, the next target is £1500 and we're only just over £300 away from it, so we've high hopes. The June photos above are even scaring me! :curtains:

• 2 weeks later...

It is a new month - yikes - and here's a new set of @Bristolatic photos. It is fairly quiet on the fundraising front but plenty of publicity locally is causing some attention. At nearly £1200, the Fund is very healthy. 

There are lots of people raising money for the MS Trust in all sorts of ways including Kenny Smith who is Cycling for his Sister, solo around England, Wales and Scotland. Well done Kenny! You can keep up with his progress at 

http://50dayscycleride.uk/

and please remember to pop into

https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/NoBeardOrHairCut

20190701MSFund07a.jpg

• 1 month later...

Visit to MS Trust Headquarters

Thirty-two talented and kind people staff the Multiple Sclerosis Trust which is based at the Spirella Building in Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire. One Monday in July 2019, @Bristolatic and I visited Letchworth, a place neither of us has been to before. We drove up on the Sunday and stayed locally for two nights. This meant we were able to check out the area, especially the Spirella Building which is the base for twenty businesses, including the MS Trust charity. Conserved by Letchworth Garden City Heritage Foundation, the building is architecturally and historically stunning. Yet is has adapted well to its contemporary use. We felt honoured to be there.

vgPzzy1QEg2sXxkgJhBsYtYpWPc6MLwcofvaceof93CRic2Mgp5M7J_B0oE5Zflo3AYihFya-Vq_jmhjirLkVnNmf9m-4CRdrYlr38FXMGrLacT1SkZ5FAYaDEW608Vu535Ln5UGIqwUojB--ve4-jNidT1kRifMcaJxvFybld8sEGcZ4ynejRBQcPMCjSa79w-Xo2eTmXOOO-ru46lUFHdPMcyt6BpnVPdpQ06yPvmnbBmy4olzsq78kjG6o_bKz05lFnGCftyou7pvwM95W8lRZnYXkbNXq-GcsKJXfWUlTeNIDZVPmx56V7MtZh5eF27pZyemj-Y_Nv6iGFPAhfqk6rAG9pM5iBsV3xZRn9ZmzLoeRW35P9lelpC_VwH1il1E9aqSWdeC_t1MWIvbndvI4ktVU_DgrvBtBwxZLRpqJqRdnyfEvn0boHwDsUZrnRqIT3jy3hVTfU0tnpcv2NAq2NM-D8FpDL3Z3R8wqxin4NGq4hMQNalbrvyCDSctovN8ZqLIbdbQNTYnp-LX5YkrTzt7z0oJWrJhvjnwBWn-KCRZg2HUA3cE1OOybRqrCJUfbmEym868wD5FM6oVlns-o-XPr5PWTp-KqzAOBsLjqT570zJRQplZvXhvyJbsHHYkw7sAtsQXwnBOdg_xRxz2xrVchYE=w458-h305-no

3n2rKVywkS1_EI6nK7z2jJQ0IQvz6uIliVf7Jlqz9J6sUTQoZi4ITfqpF4-KmiBN1WI_bAgdOrEHMxoncf2z-P0_4YaUnc6JeF7eHLdhDeeYJJtOd77OrP33U6oPYdACUHD3p--QmcAx-6irO_I_sgtnJkb-nSnc4lEbzpSPVbJf3oSlgKJVr6CpL45cJIk8bNRf4JcqEQFNHFMFCKIQcDd5uqg0kLNmBof6yWRTaWYmutPQrqyIg1h-6O7L5z8wItAbQOm--BSOcoq2vzybCIVoc1vN-R5yd6O-RsiXO3VjfndeEornfj5raKKKBYO3rifI963MwsFaRrMqgm9rSpM5RS5cjCtynJpW3TCuPJXbTgaQLwFTu7Rswg2xjwVCbI4vuJXoLj6WSWqhq5vrvhEBUkt8ekcDiDe8-5EpBXFS2mhiWln1E8zZjcc598_otDr8H0wdlIc2FypMChptZXhs_waiH_EBhPQ74CcQ2FK40fYodVpQbWa3oCySF-3Oft3_NOJUDZnYcCaDRewR3BceOdDoSjP0nrqZoVU8ATKCdaWhdgu47UtDtIZfDvrVkV1r1KmB2cLwULBANXf6-2nr3PzJiV5ct-XKiP3742rIOMIHWc2RAEalY6qIzTmZHYJNPg5SA_rYbUfcZ8JwvU4LoR3GbX4=w458-h305-no

We arrived for our 2.0pm appointment on Monday afternoon, to meet Erika Stone, who is our fundraising contact. We already 'knew' Erika from much email and phone correspondence. She has talked us through the process of fundraising, while administering the background tasks that make it all look so easy.

The MS Trust staff each represent an element of the MS Trust’s mission to inform, support, fundraise and research on behalf of all who those affected by Multiple Sclerosis, whether personally or by association. There are too many names to mention in this fabulous team of dedicated, creative and clearly hardworking people that also looks after the interests of carers and health professionals. They ALL remain close to our hearts - we are sorry we did not meet all of you.

We also learned about other MS Trust fundraising projects - well done, thank you and good luck to all of you. Next year, when Pete no longer sports his long beard and hair, we hope to continue raising funds. We are not yet sure how but if we can find another reason to visit Letchworth and our fab MS trust folk, nothing will stop us! Bookshop, cafe, restaurants, trees, colourful flowers, gorgeous Art Deco buildings - what's not to like!

The fundraising video interview with Pete is here:

- enjoy!

Absolutely brilliant visit. To see first hand the hard work that such a small, but dedicated, team put into their efforts to raise awareness of this awful illness was both staggering and humbling.

We've been invited back any time we like. And we will.

• 2 weeks later...

As the purpose of our fundraiser is to increase the scope of MS Trust's effectiveness, you may like to know they make excellent information films.

Now they've released one about the way enquiries for information are handled to ensure all contacts are shown the paths and choices before them.

See here:

Tip: subscribe to the MS Trust YouTube channel while watching this one.

• 2 weeks later...

@Bristolatic's collection last Wednesday at Kings Chase Shopping Centre, Kingswood raised a further £58.97 for the Fund. More than that, it spread awareness of Multiple Sclerosis and the MS Trust's supportive work. The fund now sits at a very comfy £1247.03.
A surprise guest turned up (see photo) and enjoyed a really good chat with a couple of visitors. The carer with me also fetched Pete much-needed coffee and cake.
Next time (11th December) Pete will be in full colour beard and hair (courtesy of Sam Burge of Sam's Salon in Kingswood) so that should attract some extra interest... 
Today was a pleasant day weather-wise but December will be a chillier affair. Anyone feel like knitting some MS Trust blue mittens?

If you'd like to read the whole Beard/Hair story, please visit:

New photos will be taken on September 1st and there's been growth!

20190821_KingsChase08b.jpg

201908MS_Trust_A5.jpg

The monthly photos have been assembled into the usual triptych format. This beard is famous... in Kingswood, largely thanks to @Bristolatic's appearances at his MS Trust Awareness and Fundraising table and also because Kingswood Voice has chronicled the story faithfully.

Here's a link to the September Issue... on issuu:

https://issuu.com/kings…/…/kingswood_voice_september_2019/26

The link takes you to the exact 2-page spread featuring our local MP and our own @HairyPete VIP

20190901MSFund09V.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This is astounding ...we had £62 handed in recently by a neighbour. She and her family collected £26.27 while the Young at Heart Group in Hanham that she attends collected £35.73. Isn't that encouraging?

The total now stands at a whopping £1309.03 including Gift Aid, which makes a lot of difference. Please keep giving whenever you can. Thank you.

@BristolaticMrs's note: Updating has been sporadic lately and I am sorry about that. I currently have a further occurrence of Trigeminal Neuralgia and now face seeing a neurosurgeon because medical treatment no longer helps enough and/or gives me side effects,

Please don't think I want sympathy as my only reasons for mentioning this are to raise awareness of the aspects of MS perhaps lesser known, and to explain why I'm rather quiet!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my goodness! This year is racing along, and so is Pete's hair growth. It is getting more difficult to find him beneath the foliage. Look below...

Up until this month, there had not been much difference in Pete's hair growth on the back of his head. Now he has returned to his youthful image of the 1970s. And people are responding with generous cash donations. Today we have added £48.10 which represents:

£10 each from Val, Harry, Jan, all neighbours = £30

ie £10 from Paul the chef; £3 from Sam's Dad (Sam Burge runs Sam's Salon), where Pete's hair and beard will be dyed on November 27th; £5 from an anonymous mate of Pete's, and a donation in the tin of 10p

This amount will hopefully increase once Gift Aid can be verified. I will update this post when that occurs.

As I sign off, the fund stands at £1357.13

Don't forget to visit the Virgin Money Giving website. It is not just a place where you can donate to the www.MSTrust.co.uk cause, but also a jolly good read now. Each time I've updated here or on one of the forums we frequent, the Virgin site has been advanced too. It is good to look back through Pete's Story so far...

20191001MSFund10V.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

⚽ Congratulations on last night's win against Walsall  :blueball:

I've just added £3.25 Gift Aid recouped by MS Trust from recent donations. I also added £14.62 myself in recognition of the next phase of Pete's Fundraiser. From now until 27th November, we will be concentrating on the Hair Dye Do.

My choice of donation level has rounded the fund up to....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................£1400 today!

During the coming weeks, if my health stays stable, I will be compiling a scrapbook for Pete's Hairy Year. As we journal the story, we will share snippets with you all.

The Hair Do event is being held in the place where we live. For both privacy and practical reasons, we cannot reveal the address online.

• 2 weeks later...

New month, new @Bristolatic photos! This time, the photos tell the message - nearly there!

If you are a supporter, know Pete and want to see him newly dyed, just ask one of us for the location. We have to keep it away from Public eyes for security reasons as it is our home.

Please visit the sponsor site for a full story of Pete's hair growth & fundraising so far this year. Or simply scroll through this thread.

20191101MSFund11V.jpg

Three weeks today and I go all technicolour. I suppose I'll be able to start singing "Hair and Beard is Blue and Tangerine" (and white). It's going to be an interesting few weeks walking about like that. My first multicoloured appearance at football will be at Swindon on 14th December; there'll be no problem recognising me.

Now here's a fundraising idea. Have your photograph taken with me at Swindon and pop a quid in the fund. Well, if you don't ask, you don't get.

Big thanks to @BristolaticMrs for doing all the promotional stuff again.

It's me again with lovely news indeed!

As we've said before, Pete belongs to the Warmley Men in Sheds group, meeting once a week for various projects and accomplishments in a well-appointed workshop attached to the local museum. Shed is therefore a generic rather than strictly accurate term.

Today, at their meeting, Pete showed the two MS Trust videos he made in July (see below). The Men unanimously donated a further £50 cash to the Fund which is so generous as they were early donors in February.

More than one surprise was in store for us... our friend Hazel pledged verbally (to me, not @Bristolatic) that she would donate £10 per month and present the total at the close of the year. Hazel is unable to come to the Hair Do on 27th November so she presented Pete with her £120 cheque today.

So, that is a total of £170 added to the Raised offline total, making it £977.88 to date.

The total fund stands at £1570 tonight (including Gift Aid).

Wow!

See these relevant MS Trust YouTube Channel Videos:
Five Minutes with a Fundraiser
https://youtu.be/9TVqC_vn1Is
and
Pete & Shirley's Story: Caring for a Loved One with MS
https://youtu.be/ie7L1jz0Qlw

• 2 weeks later...

This evening, I am completing the photo album from our August trip to the Shard, merrily heading towards the promised @Bristolatic Hairy Year scrapbook, when up pops a notification that my elder son Dave has sponsored the Fund in aid of Multiple Sclerosis Trust to the tune of £30 plus £7.50 Gift Aid.

Truly astonished to tell you all the total now sits at £1670 inc all the Gift Aid, where applicable.

Thank you!

If you need to see it for yourself, pop over here:

Archived