My Charity Appeal

We were watching TV last night (the No Offence Box Set on Channel 4 actually) when I received a donation notification, which is quite a mouthful if you're reading aloud. Every notification we receive from the Virgin site and every coin we handle for real, mean a huge deal to us. It is confirmation that you all get what @Bristolatic is doing.

This particular notification, last night, has us guessing, for it read:

"Hello Shirley

Great news - your fundraising challenge My Fundraising Page has received a donation.

Amount: £50.00(+£12.5 Gift Aid)

Their Message: great Cause well done

Running total: £1607.50

Total raised including Gift Aid: £1732.50

Because we're not-for-profit, more money goes to great causes.

Keep spreading the word to keep those donations coming in.

The Virgin Money Giving Team"

That, my friends, is another £62.50 from someone we either know but wishes to stay shy, or someone we don't know at all.

Wow! It's quite something.

Thank You Anonymous, you're a Star.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, BristolaticMrs said:

We were watching TV last night (the No Offence Box Set on Channel 4 actually) when I received a donation notification, which is quite a mouthful if you're reading aloud. Every notification we receive from the Virgin site and every coin we handle for real, mean a huge deal to us. It is confirmation that you all get what @Bristolatic is doing.

This particular notification, last night, has us guessing, for it read:

"Hello Shirley

Great news - your fundraising challenge My Fundraising Page has received a donation.

Amount: £50.00(+£12.5 Gift Aid)

Their Message: great Cause well done

Running total: £1607.50

Total raised including Gift Aid: £1732.50

Because we're not-for-profit, more money goes to great causes.

Keep spreading the word to keep those donations coming in.

The Virgin Money Giving Team"

That, my friends, is another £62.50 from someone we either know but wishes to stay shy, or someone we don't know at all.

Wow! It's quite something.

Thank You Anonymous, you're a Star.

Amazingly generous donation from someone we may not even know. Whoever you are, wherever you are, THANK YOU. 

And we are now just number-5.jpgdays away from the tangerine hair and blue and white beard.

Indeed, it's TOMORROW when @Bristolatic will be given tangerine hair and a blue & white beard (the colours of his beloved Oldham Athletic FC) thus fulfilling his No Beard or Hair Cuts (Colour by December) Challenge 2019 for the Multiple Sclerosis Trust.

When he emerges from Sam's Salon, we're having the Hair Do Party to celebrate - photos will be posted as soon as I'm in wifi range!

Wish us luck, please! Today, I've as much energy as anyone else with MS and a huge project to complete! It's been worth it though.

PS A neighbour has just donated a £20 cheque to the MS Trust Fundraiser. This won't reach the Virgin Money Giving page until the banking is done on Thursday.
Thank you to Pauline

We've broken our target today!

We've now raised £1807.50 online thanks to donations from my son Rob (thank you!) and Katie who was with us today. Thanks Katie! PS Thanks to Graham we now have £1813.75

And we have achieved these sums at the Hair Do:

£10.00 cash donation from one of our care staff

£97.00 raffle money

£16.80 posh biscuit auction (leftover boxes!)

£85.00 in notes literally thrown at @Bristolaticfor no reason other than giving to a great cause.

This makes an incredible, delectable and brilliant £208.80.

That, when it is banked, will be a total of £2022.55.

Plus we have 2 x MS Trust collecting tins to pay into the bank tomorrow - 1 from Trish and her family, a neighbour, and the other was sat on the raffle table gathering loose change.

What a day - wonderful Men in Sheds in attendance, our close friends, our fellow residents, staff, Sam's Salon (for the hair dyeing) and Kingdom Cafe (that cake!) and I'm sure someone in heaven was smiling on us too.

Anyone say, how about writing a guide to fundraising? No, I have a better idea... more about that after the upcoming neurology appointments and a REST.

@Bristolatic is looking great - I mean it!I

20191101MSFund11aV.jpg

What an amazing day. Never did we expect to hit that level of donations. A great big THANK YOU to all those that took part. I hasten to add that the beard baubles were not part of the original plan, but gave everyone a good old giggle. So that's that bit over and done with. Just got to toddle around like this for the next five weeks when the hair and beard will return to normal length (and colour, all being well) on New Year's Eve. Which means I'll be at Swindon in this condition on 14th December. You just might be able to spot me.

The biggest Thank You must go to the brilliant @BristolaticMrs who, despite being unwell for almost all the year and is facing yet more hospital appointments, has done so much in keeping the admin side of things up to date; posters, leaflets, websites and message boards all looked after.

See you at Swindon. Maybe.

D-fWcgMdTiJQFbvGuzs1TcDs_ibK6SNvzB62ZzuL

For the record, here's the figures from yesterday (updated on 29th November - never write when you are exhausted due to busyness and MS. A better night's sleep has cleared my befuddled brain!)

Please note this is about the offline donations on Hair Do Day - others have generously donated online and we can't thank everyone enough.

@Bristolatic 's now his own poster! I made some small cards with details of the fundraising website and MS Trust charity details. Already he's needed them! How brilliant is that - I'll make some more over the weekend as we are at the hospital for two neurology appointments this coming week... I think we'll need the cards!

It's here... the final set of monthly photos. Doesn't he look glamorous. Of course, it helps that after months of taking the photos inside our flat, this time we ventured out into the well lit corridor. What a difference light makes. If we ever do this again (never) we will know where to take those snaps. Handy for Blue Badge photos!

What do we have planned for December? 

On 11th @Bristolatic will be at Kings Chase again with information and his MS Trust collection tins. 

On 14th, away fans can see Pete at the Swindon match - have your photo taken with him!

On 31st, the hair is being removed by Sam who only just dyed it. How can I be so callous? Well, after 11 months and £2000+ we are both hugely proud, infinitely grateful and grinning chuffed because we know this money - your money - is going to help the dedicated people at MS Trust to spread the vital word about Multiple Sclerosis to those that are being diagnosed or caring for someone who has advanced MS.

Hit the links to find out more. 

8mJmyvA70Zk4dytETgkY8os2ad2Dw6PYuAlR-wkr
Don't forget this cause amidst the clamour of other charities that ALL need our spare cash. Don't pass by when a collecting tin is in your path (although they should never be rattled at your face). 

Please be charity and ill-health aware and remember please that some people look normal but are actually ill and struggling with everyday living.

1 hour ago, BristolaticMrs said:

It's here... the final set of monthly photos. Doesn't he look glamorous. Of course, it helps that after months of taking the photos inside our flat, this time we ventured out into the well lit corridor. What a difference light makes. If we ever do this again (never) we will know where to take those snaps. Handy for Blue Badge photos!

What do we have planned for December? 

On 11th @Bristolatic will be at Kings Chase again with information and his MS Trust collection tins. 

On 14th, away fans can see Pete at the Swindon match - have your photo taken with him! For a price :devilish:

On 31st, the hair is being removed by Sam who only just dyed it. How can I be so callous? Well, after 11 months and £2000+ we are both hugely proud, infinitely grateful and grinning chuffed because we know this money - your money - is going to help the dedicated people at MS Trust to spread the vital word about Multiple Sclerosis to those that are being diagnosed or caring for someone who has advanced MS.

Hit the links to find out more. 

8mJmyvA70Zk4dytETgkY8os2ad2Dw6PYuAlR-wkr
Don't forget this cause amidst the clamour of other charities that ALL need our spare cash. Don't pass by when a collecting tin is in your path (although they should never be rattled at your face). 

Please be charity and ill-health aware and remember please that some people look normal but are actually ill and struggling with everyday living.

I don't think I can add much to that (apart from the bold insert!) other than thank you to everyone and see you, well some of you, at Swindon.

More Fundraising News! @Bristolatic has banked a further £27.21 which came from a collection at Sam's Salon (Sam Burge).

This included the pocket money from two girls who were visiting the Salon with their mother on 2nd November 2019. Thank you both to Chloe and Freya. Giving up your pocket money for a whole week is a huge donation and we are both very grateful that you helped the MS Trust in this way.

We also heard from Erika at the MS Trust that the applicable Gift Aid was £2.75 - thank you to the taxpayers who visit the Salon - and to Des the plumber who saw this collection with the Sponsorship form, on our dining room table before Pete left for the bank. He popped a donation in - that was really kind of you, Des.

This means the total amount raised, including Gift Aid, is now: £2116.91 - an amazing amount.

If that's not enough, I will be back on Monday with more news ... our neighbours have been generous again - you rock, guys!

https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/NoBeardOrHairCut

• 2 weeks later...

We've added a further £163.67 to the offline total raised, making that now £1,419.71 which, in turn, makes a Grand Total raised (so far) of £2,280.58.

This is FANTASTIC! We are both humbled and thankful that so many people have dug deep and helped the MS Trust like this.

This is what the Colourful @Bristolatic looks like now...

This photo (below) was taken at Swindon Town FC on Saturday 14th December by Eddie, Oldham Athletic's photographer. With Pete is the Match Day Press Officer and Commentary Summariser, Roy . 

OAFC went on to a 2:0 defeat at Swindon, but I'm here to detail that £163.67 for you.

It comprised:

£50.00 collected by Lesley J in a Guess-the-Name of the Snowman competition held among our neighbours - so they've helped out again!

£23.70 private cash collection from Lesley J too.

£20.00 cash donation, on the day, from Roy

£69.97 cash collection at Kings Chase on Wednesday 11th December (including a £20 sponsored donation that was Gift Aided - I will add in that figure once it has been ratified at MS Trust HQ. @Bristolatic was getting rather chilly, despite the beard scarf and extra hair on top, when I rolled up at 2pm, so I encouraged him to finish by 3.30. He didn't argue!

This past week has proved how each pence raised helps to increase the Grand Total. Not just that, it also proves how much the public, family, friends and neighbours care. Another Thank You from us.

You can read this story, with relevant hyperlinks, at 

https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/NoBeardOrHairCut

S0DP5hIVvOzt_Lf0jWNIq4DunSgiN1FYdjMZBciW

Once again, a huge THANK YOU to everyone who has donated. Considering our initial target was £500 and we've gradually increased it by a similar amount each time we've hit the magic number, to beat our latest target of £2,250 is truly amazing.

So many people have been so generous, we're blown away. And another huge THANK YOU to @BristolaticMrs for doing all the admin work, making posters and leaflets, keeping the Virgin site up to date plus two message boards, despite having had an awful year healthwise.

The hair and beard go back to normal on New Year's Eve and the fund will stay open for another month after that. 

An update for you all...

Thank you to Ben D, known to @Bristolatic through Latics, who has donated online, £15 plus £3.75 Gift Aid.

Another BIG shout out for an online donor who 'met me' on social media, in a book group. Thank you Jo C for your £10 plus Gift Aid of £2.50. Keep reading, Jo!

Plus I can confirm Gift Aid of a further £5 from the King's Chase donations. Wonderful.

We now have £2,316.83 everyone, including marvellous Gift Aid!

Thank you to everyone who has read and liked our posts (especially mine, obviously) throughout the year. Support in friendship is as valuable as support in financial terms - the latter is the one that helps MS Trust pay the bills AND reach out to all who have Multiple Sclerosis - the patients, their families, friends, work colleagues, the community around them.

You've all been FAB - enjoy Christmas!

• 2 weeks later...

We have exceeded our original expectations (please disregard the 87% of the target which we recently raised after £2,250 was achieved). 

The Fundraising is over & @Bristolatic is restored to his previous appearance. p678aeOqcpWLM33IhWdfOlZS8JBHwW-GJMUnz3c2

It's been a fabulous year, all laid out in the diary. I've written (most of) it; Pete "just" grew that beard and hair, went around in his colourful state this past month - his own walking advert for YOUR achievements.

In a previous post, I mentioned the scrapbook I am making ... progress has been slow. All the materials are collected together. Compiling the book itself will be a time to reflect upon 2019 - Pete's No Beard or Hair Cut (Colour by December) Fundraiser for Multiple Sclerosis Trust. He did it!

Thank you for every penny of the £2341.83 that we've raised together.

The Virgin Money Giving page will finally close on 31st January 2020. Happy New Year!

I no longer have to think, "what are you staring at?". It was surprising how often I forgot what I looked like. The year long challenge far exceeded anything we had expected so, once again, a huge THANK YOU for every penny we raised.

Although we are not actively promoting the fund now it will, as @BristolaticMrs says, remain open until the end of January. We know that some more funding has been pledged this month, so the final total will increase a little.

I think I know someone who is pleased to see the end. They no longer have to worry about going into stores with a weird looking bloke (well, not quite as weird!) and all her hard work with posts, flyers, posters and events is done. Thank you.

8 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

I no longer have to think, "what are you staring at?". It was surprising how often I forgot what I looked like. The year long challenge far exceeded anything we had expected so, once again, a huge THANK YOU for every penny we raised.

Although we are not actively promoting the fund now it will, as @BristolaticMrs says, remain open until the end of January. We know that some more funding has been pledged this month, so the final total will increase a little.

I think I know someone who is pleased to see the end. They no longer have to worry about going into stores with a weird looking bloke (well, not quite as weird!) and all her hard work with posts, flyers, posters and events is done. Thank you.

Cracking work both of you, you've put a hell of a lot into it! Happy New (less hairy) Year.

On 1/2/2020 at 9:13 AM, Bristolatic said:

I’ve got to say you looked a right plonker before. Why have you decided to go back to this ridiculous look ? 

• 4 weeks later...

The Challenge is complete and the fund officially closed yesterday, 31st January 2020**. Having paid in the last donation of £36.60 (£20.74 from Midsomer Norton Men in Sheds, 2x £5 from friends and an assortment of loose change in our home collection tin), the final total hit £2378.43, a figure we never expected to achieve. The original target back in January 2019 was £500, so we are amazed at the final result. 

**There is the possibility of one more income stream coming in at the 11th hour, so we are leaving the Virgin Money Giving site open for a few days, when it will finally close for good early next week. So, that's just about it; I'm restored to my original handsome, dashing self (poetic licence, if you please) and life returns to normal.

Finally, again, a huge thank you to every single person, both near and far, who donated so generously and, of course, to @BristolaticMrs who took care of all the admin work. She just has a scrap book recording the last 12 months or so to do now!

Was watching the Last Leg tonight, Adam Hills shaved his beard off at 11pm cos he wasn't shaving until Brexit was done, he's selling off the clippings for the Australian fire fund. Are you flogging yours? 😉

Archived