FA Cup, League 2, AL, Wild, Team Selection & Scholes

Cant be bothered posting on several current discussions so this is an all in one post.

FA Cup -  As disappointing as it is to exit, especially in the circumstances and the controversy of those final moments, we should be proud, the cup run has lifted the fans this season with some fantastic followings and some glowing recognition from media and other clubs stating how great our fans have been. Our away followings at times give me goose bumps and show how much we care about this club. We've had a decent run, it could have been better but considering our current situation I think it has lifted the club and we have had some positive publicity.

League 2 - Yes it's not great but we are there because of years of neglect and poor decisions on and off the pitch. We are in reach of the play offs so our season is NOT over, no matter what anybody says. The league is poor and the teams at the top have a little more guile and grind out wins, they are not great shakes and I put it down to a little bit of consistency, something we haven't shown.  We are not that far off but maybe it won't happen this season, we have to hope that improvements will be made to ensure we make a better go of it either in the next 3 months or next season.

AL - I can't read this fella, there are lots of negative comments about him but we have to give him more time, surely. He owns the club and he is the one who has ended Corney's years of demise. I'm on the fence with AL just yet, time will tell.

I know a chairman of another club who thinks the guy is nuts tho.

Wild - He won't take the job, he would be nuts to and you can sense that in his interviews. He should be proud of himself and we should be proud of a fellow fan for steadying the ship this last few weeks, nothing has been his fault and whatever decision he makes on match days, he can't please us all, we all have different opinions on who should play and style of play etc. I thank him for his professionalism and his obvious love of the club, real fan living the dream or nightmare maybe, good luck to him and I hope he goes back working behind the scenes for his own security and sanity.

Team Selection - Well the rumours are that AL is interfering with the match day stuff. This might be the case but I haven't seen any evidence of this just rumours. Maybe that is why Bunn got sacked, for challenging him and rightly so, but there will always only be one winner, AL, the boss , the man who now employs the management. I don't agree with it and I don't think he should be meddling in match day affairs on the pitch.

Scholes - I believe he will be our next manager. Too many things this week have led me to make this statement. The time it has taken, I think this is down to the legality of his 10% Salford share, which would need addressing first. Then the Beckham announcement and the fact that Scholes did not say he wouldn't be our manager, he said "nothing to report"

He was again at the game yesterday, why ? he doesn't follow us home and away, he usually attends the Salford games when he can.

So I think this will happen and I think AL will have to step back a little, I think scholes will have players in mind and already in place to boost the team. The plan might be for an assault on the league next season and possibly a better chance of further investment to help achieve this.

Just remember its only a game, and yes its crap at times but hopefully over the next few days the club will get that long awaited messiah which will put us back on the map for a while and give us all a bit of optimism for the future.

Glass half full and proud of it !!!

P.s    just a note to the usual culprits, I don't bother reading your responses or posts, the other 97% of posters offer much better, balanced and grown up opinions

Fair play, a great post. 

I could sense that at times you were struggling to express your usual optimism. Don't get me wrong, in the last few years hope and optimism have been about all we've had to keep us going as a club.

I fear the cup run, great fun as they always are, just papered over the cracks. I was there yesterday and our second half efforts were inspirational, but need to be shown week in week out. There was little craft, and for all the abysmal refereeing, we were beaten by a better team.

I honestly don't know if AL is picking the team or not - genuine question. If anyone has evidence, let's have it. If he is, then fan protests need to start asap and should be as loud and disruptive (but legal!) as possible.

I too suspect Scholes may well take the job, which would be great news. My fear is that he'll probably end up walking because of AL's interference. But if he were appointed, and successful, I suspect he's want to take us to the Championship before quitting for a bigger job. A preferable outcome would be for him and others to buy the club, but that's a different ball game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maximus1267 said:

Cant be bothered posting on several current discussions so this is an all in one post.

FA Cup -  As disappointing as it is to exit, especially in the circumstances and the controversy of those final moments, we should be proud, the cup run has lifted the fans this season with some fantastic followings and some glowing recognition from media and other clubs stating how great our fans have been. Our away followings at times give me goose bumps and show how much we care about this club. We've had a decent run, it could have been better but considering our current situation I think it has lifted the club and we have had some positive publicity.

League 2 - Yes it's not great but we are there because of years of neglect and poor decisions on and off the pitch. We are in reach of the play offs so our season is NOT over, no matter what anybody says. The league is poor and the teams at the top have a little more guile and grind out wins, they are not great shakes and I put it down to a little bit of consistency, something we haven't shown.  We are not that far off but maybe it won't happen this season, we have to hope that improvements will be made to ensure we make a better go of it either in the next 3 months or next season.

AL - I can't read this fella, there are lots of negative comments about him but we have to give him more time, surely. He owns the club and he is the one who has ended Corney's years of demise. I'm on the fence with AL just yet, time will tell.

I know a chairman of another club who thinks the guy is nuts tho.

Wild - He won't take the job, he would be nuts to and you can sense that in his interviews. He should be proud of himself and we should be proud of a fellow fan for steadying the ship this last few weeks, nothing has been his fault and whatever decision he makes on match days, he can't please us all, we all have different opinions on who should play and style of play etc. I thank him for his professionalism and his obvious love of the club, real fan living the dream or nightmare maybe, good luck to him and I hope he goes back working behind the scenes for his own security and sanity.

Team Selection - Well the rumours are that AL is interfering with the match day stuff. This might be the case but I haven't seen any evidence of this just rumours. Maybe that is why Bunn got sacked, for challenging him and rightly so, but there will always only be one winner, AL, the boss , the man who now employs the management. I don't agree with it and I don't think he should be meddling in match day affairs on the pitch.

Scholes - I believe he will be our next manager. Too many things this week have led me to make this statement. The time it has taken, I think this is down to the legality of his 10% Salford share, which would need addressing first. Then the Beckham announcement and the fact that Scholes did not say he wouldn't be our manager, he said "nothing to report"

He was again at the game yesterday, why ? he doesn't follow us home and away, he usually attends the Salford games when he can.

So I think this will happen and I think AL will have to step back a little, I think scholes will have players in mind and already in place to boost the team. The plan might be for an assault on the league next season and possibly a better chance of further investment to help achieve this.

Just remember its only a game, and yes its crap at times but hopefully over the next few days the club will get that long awaited messiah which will put us back on the map for a while and give us all a bit of optimism for the future.

Glass half full and proud of it !!!

P.s    just a note to the usual culprits, I don't bother reading your responses or posts, the other 97% of posters offer much better, balanced and grown up opinions

Thank you. Excellentl

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Fair play, a great post. 

I could sense that at times you were struggling to express your usual optimism. Don't get me wrong, in the last few years hope and optimism have been about all we've had to keep us going as a club.

I fear the cup run, great fun as they always are, just papered over the cracks. I was there yesterday and our second half efforts were inspirational, but need to be shown week in week out. There was little craft, and for all the abysmal refereeing, we were beaten by a better team.

I honestly don't know if AL is picking the team or not - genuine question. If anyone has evidence, let's have it. If he is, then fan protests need to start asap and should be as loud and disruptive (but legal!) as possible.

I too suspect Scholes may well take the job, which would be great news. My fear is that he'll probably end up walking because of AL's interference. But if he were appointed, and successful, I suspect he's want to take us to the Championship before quitting for a bigger job. A preferable outcome would be for him and others to buy the club, but that's a different ball game.

Optimism is hard at times but its the optimism and hope that keeps you going in all aspects not just our frustrating club.

A few of us have seen over the years how things can change suddenly for the better and for the worse.

I can't physically protest against AL but I understand those who want to.

Scholes is a United fan who also watched us too as a kid, so he has some affinity but I think if he did a good job with us of course he would get a much bigger job and take it.

Well both Maximus and Worcester seem to think Scholes will take the job and yet in their considered postings give a perfectly good reason why he wouldn't nay shouldn't take the job.

Maybe he was at the game yesterday because like 4000 other Latics fans it was a glimpse at a bit of success to alleviate this death by a thousand cuts being inflicted on our club at the moment.

11 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Well both Maximus and Worcester seem to think Scholes will take the job and yet in their considered postings give a perfectly good reason why he wouldn't nay shouldn't take the job.

Maybe he was at the game yesterday because like 4000 other Latics fans it was a glimpse at a bit of success to alleviate this death by a thousand cuts being inflicted on our club at the moment.

Whether he should or shouldn't is for him to decide. I hope and think he has took it.

You are not dead until you stop breathing and all signs of life are extinct, as long as we keep breathing there is hope.

Scholes will only take the job on his own terms. He will want his players in, and he will want total control over team selection. It's the only way he could be judged on his own merits or lack of them. He won't want to lose a match because the owner decided who should play and who shouldn't.

I think we could safely say that if Scholes is the manager and we lose a game, it won't be because the owner has interfered in any way.

1 minute ago, al_bro said:

Scholes will only take the job on his own terms. He will want his players in, and he will want total control over team selection. It's the only way he could be judged on his own merits or lack of them. He won't want to lose a match because the owner decided who should play and who shouldn't.

I think we could safely say that if Scholes is the manager and we lose a game, it won't be because the owner has interfered in any way.

Just like any other manager then!

5 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Sorry pal, I may have missed something here or I am just being stupid,  can you elaborate please.

Yes, 300k a year is what Scholes wants, that's what was agreed, up to Lemsagam to make that happen, if not then Scholes will not be taking the job.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Yes, 300k a year is what Scholes wants, that's what was agreed, up to Lemsagam to make that happen, if not then Scholes will not be taking the job.

• Piece of piss, :clown: puts twice that amount in the coffers every 3 months.

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Right, if that is true then ok

Well lets see what happens with that then.

So our wealthy doesn't need to do this job really, no management record but he was a great player wants £6000 a week. You can tell he lives in Saddleworth and not Hollinwood.

If its true-Deyres has a history on here of posting 'facts' that you cannot disprove.

Edited by whittles left foot

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

All on the owner, Scholes knows what he would be taking on and wants it.

Good, I for one hope he takes it.

It would be a statement for a club like us, whether it works out or not, there is only one way to find out.

Sometimes you just have to go for it, its been boring for far too long now.

18 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

So our wealthy doesn't need to do this job really, no management record but he was a great player wants £6000 a week. You can tell he lives in Saddleworth and not Hollinwood.

,If its true-Deyres has a history on here of posting 'facts' that you cannot disprove.

The average wages for the whole of League 2 is £87,000.

I don't know the average managers salary, but £300k will be on the highest side, but I don't think he is pricing himsef out of the job from the start at that price.

33 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Highly sceptical about this being true. 

I wonder what the ‘Scholes is worth a Bob or two so won’t be demanding a high salary’ boys/girls think of this one? 🤔 

38 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Thats interesting as I’ve heard Scholes wants only his expenses covering and any money hes entitled to goes to back room staff

2 minutes ago, Brisbaneblue said:

Thats interesting as I’ve heard Scholes wants only his expenses covering and any money hes entitled to goes to back room staff

It's a nice thought but he's on fortunes with BT and other stuff, not giving that up to come and work for us for nothing.

1 minute ago, Brisbaneblue said:

Now that is an interesting post.

5 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Highly sceptical about this being true. 

I wonder what the ‘Scholes is worth a Bob or two so won’t be demanding a high salary’ boys/girls think of this one? 🤔 

Contradicts Deyres but try and prove now that it isn't ALs fault if Scholes doesn't sign and he doesn't want that salary.