FA Cup, League 2, AL, Wild, Team Selection & Scholes

27 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Apparently we haven’t settled the contracts of Wellens or Bunn.  This may be ALs way of suggesting shite manager / tactics is gross misconduct.  Tom Cruise would struggle making a successful team from our squad possible so unfair on Frankie.

FB was on a reported £40k per annum so where has AL rustled up 7.5x that amount to secure Scholes? If he has then that’s madness because that money could be used towards a striker, midfielder plus a decent coach/manager at L2 level.

I never really had Tom Cruise down as a great football manager...

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Appointing managers on the cheap hasn't exactly been a route to success for us in recent times...

But we’re potless, skint, heavily in debt.... 

Scholes will only be here purely because of his affinity with the club and that he doesn’t need the money.  The salary will be a token amount between the two allowing him to also do his punditry I guess.

For us it’ll be a cast of the dice hoping his standing in world football inspires our players, his contacts get us cheap or free loans from United and we can leverage the clubs profile in the media within uk and abroad.

Talksport just spent another 20 minutes discussing this with Paul Dickov.  Question his appointment if you like but Scholes is worldwide-known and still a source of interest in the media and footballing circles.  I just hope AL doesn’t royally fuck this up.

6 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

£300k. That’s about 20000 extra bums on seats over a season. 800 a match? Quite conceivable with a successful team .  

Not even factoring in possible additional sponsorship because of “the name” of Scholes  . Plus the “saving” on what a Bunn might have been paid , possibly £40k

It would be a gamble but ....

Imagine the tried and tested managers we could get if we paid £300k a year.....

4 minutes ago, Nohairdontcare said:

To paraphrase the thread title - we're out of the FA Cup and lame in League Two because AL meddles with the likes of Wild in team selection and Scholes won't like that. 

Not having a pop here at all but in all honesty how far before we kicked a ball in the first round of the FA Cup would you have expected us to get in the comp ?

For me 2 very tricky away banana skins overcome, 1 premier league club away overcome and a good league 1 team away pushed to the 94th minute. I'd say that is quite a positive outcome for a lame league 2 club.

10 minutes ago, Nohairdontcare said:

To paraphrase the thread title - we're out of the FA Cup and lame in League Two because AL meddles with the likes of Wild in team selection and Scholes won't like that. 

AL picked the side that beat Fulham so perhaps he should get some of the credit Mr Wild has been getting?

I've low expectations that come from a lifetime of supporting Latics and my personality, I suppose. I didn't expect much of a cup run - I never really do. It's a bonus when it happens.

But I'm of the basic opinion that an owner meddling in team matters is not a good thing, short term or long term. 

At best I don't think it's good for the club - at worst I think it's very bad for the club. And could cost us the chance of having Scholes at the helm for however long he sticks it out.

3 minutes ago, Nohairdontcare said:

I've low expectations that come from a lifetime of supporting Latics and my personality, I suppose. I didn't expect much of a cup run - I never really do. It's a bonus when it happens.

But I'm of the basic opinion that an owner meddling in team matters is not a good thing, short term or long term. 

At best I don't think it's good for the club - at worst I think it's very bad for the club. And could cost us the chance of having Scholes at the helm for however long he sticks it out.

Honest response and I agree but I still see no evidence other than what is wrote on here and in the media, which lets face it, is not always 100% true.

1 minute ago, Clifford said:

He also picked the side that could well have beaten Donny on Saturday, or is he only picking the team when we play shite? 

Did you not read OWTB Alterative Rulebook Page 5, Paragraph 4, Clause 8, Sub-Clause 3?

"Any good news about Latics must not be linked to AL".

7 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I do like the sweet idea that multi millionaires work for free.

People starting on the first rung of a new career are realistic enough to know they won't be paid as much as when they were at the top of their previous career. Who is expecting him to work for free?

2 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

People starting on the first rung of a new career are realistic enough to know they won't be paid as much as when they were at the top of their previous career. Who is expecting him to work for free?

Plenty of people seem to think he'd do it for his dinner and petrol money.

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

None of them were Paul Scholes though.

No but if Dickov was in a position financially to try his foot in for next to nowt I know Mr Scholes can try it. 

Scholes and Sol Campbell are trying things out. If they fail, they fail, not like they have a mortgage relying on it. If they do ok they will go onto have decent opportunities further up.

These guys are the first generation who come out of playing never having to work again. They can dip their toes in and have a go. They are not working for the same reasons most people work.

Edited by Clifford

4 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

I'd heard the £300k figure too - the delay is due to AL trying to rustle up the readies.

Not doubting you but if AL is struggling to pay the manager then what hope have we of giving him funds to strengthen?

Its obvious this won’t happen but like someone else said; Scholes isn’t stupid, doesn’t need the job and has most probably spoke to others who have heard of AL or dealt with him in the last 12 months or prior.

Yet...he’s attended the last few away games and also on Saturday.  This means he must be very interested.  Ok he’s a fan but he’s also part owner of Salford who played nearer to Scholes’ home on the last two weekends.  Surely there’s open dialogue and for him to remain interested, AL must have evidenced a plan and finances somehow?!