FA Cup, League 2, AL, Wild, Team Selection & Scholes

1 hour ago, Magic Mikey said:

People starting on the first rung of a new career are realistic enough to know they won't be paid as much as when they were at the top of their previous career. Who is expecting him to work for free?

According to owtb folklore managers have actually paid us to be manager haven’t they ? Ones that are not as well off as PS. 

2 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

According to owtb folklore managers have actually paid us to be manager haven’t they ? Ones that are not as well off as PS. 

That was a rumour 24hours started. However, it makes a modicum of sense given there are only 92 jobs in the football league. 

Sol Campbell who might well have earnt more money over his career than Scholes has started at Macclesfield, I doubt he is getting the £300k a year Scholes is now rumoured to be asking for. 

Dunn was rumoured to putting some money into the club to help fund facilities. But that rumour probably started with a former advertiser of chicken. 

2 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Nah, your close but not close enough. OWTB law states that any manager who is not world class is "the cheap option" without any knowledge of what they, or any other candidate, is being paid or what salary they asked for.

Could it be Scholes has taken a leaf out of Fergusons' playbook when giving his wage/staff wage demands. Namely the manager should always be the highest paid member of playing staff. I seem to remember Ferguson or more likely his agent make it a stipulation in Fergusons contract when Beckham (I think) started getting the hump. For me AL needs to get his yes-man in, I think if he goes with the populist approach in Scholes it'll last all of 5 mins (hope I am wrong if it is Scholes). AL's trying to use the continental style in the club hierarchy, you see the same thing happening at scum, newcastle, leicester to name 3. Where you have a Sporting Director that handles the youth pathways into first team, transfer policy, existing player contracts and to some extent tactics/identity. Under that you have a Head Coach who handles first team training and matchday tactics. The idea being it safeguards the club from managerial and director changes. Your style of play, transfers etc are planned through from the top. In this way your manager/coach can change, but your style of play won't. Requires your Sporting Director and Head coach to be singing from the same hymn sheet to work. There is a Spanish documentary on Amazon's video streaming service called Three Dreams, iirc. One of the people it follows is a director at Eibar, and this approach seems to work well for them, who like us have a couple of larger clubs on their doorstep.

54 minutes ago, hinchy said:

Could it be Scholes has taken a leaf out of Fergusons' playbook when giving his wage/staff wage demands. Namely the manager should always be the highest paid member of playing staff. I seem to remember Ferguson or more likely his agent make it a stipulation in Fergusons contract when Beckham (I think) started getting the hump. For me AL needs to get his yes-man in, I think if he goes with the populist approach in Scholes it'll last all of 5 mins (hope I am wrong if it is Scholes). AL's trying to use the continental style in the club hierarchy, you see the same thing happening at scum, newcastle, leicester to name 3. Where you have a Sporting Director that handles the youth pathways into first team, transfer policy, existing player contracts and to some extent tactics/identity. Under that you have a Head Coach who handles first team training and matchday tactics. The idea being it safeguards the club from managerial and director changes. Your style of play, transfers etc are planned through from the top. In this way your manager/coach can change, but your style of play won't. Requires your Sporting Director and Head coach to be singing from the same hymn sheet to work. There is a Spanish documentary on Amazon's video streaming service called Three Dreams, iirc. One of the people it follows is a director at Eibar, and this approach seems to work well for them, who like us have a couple of larger clubs on their doorstep.

Going to check that out. 

In many ways Scholes doesn't need most of the managerial shenanigans, and could concentrate on coaching and tactics. But he played under Fergie who was a master if the craft at managing.

7 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

I'd heard the £300k figure too - the delay is due to AL trying to rustle up the readies.

Too late now, but he could have speculated to accumulate before Saturday, when a win could have been worth £430,000 in prize money alone  

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

It's a test. He's asked for £300k on the basis that if he can't afford that then there's no point. If he gets it he'll give it to charity. 

A compromise..take the job for half and give that to charity.

3 hours ago, singe said:

Going to check that out. 

In many ways Scholes doesn't need most of the managerial shenanigans, and could concentrate on coaching and tactics. But he played under Fergie who was a master if the craft at managing.

Ah "Six Dreams" its called sorry, not "Three Dreams".