Morecambe (H)- P-P (New date Tues 19/2/19)

Thought I'd start the match thread for Morecambe. 

Will Nepomuceno play full-back? 

Was Clarke a straight red, as reported by the press, or was it 2 yellows, as witnessed by everyone else?

Will we have any new players? 

Will the game be on, given the weather? 

All to be answered...

However, the officials have been reported to be:

Referee: Boyeson, Carl 
Assistant Referee: Avent, David 
Assistant Referee: Aspinall, Natalie (I think she's the red head female assistant referee). 
Fourth Official: Ilderton, Eddie 

Edited by rudemedic
Postponed- Rearranged date now added

7 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Thought I'd start the match thread for Morecambe. 

Will Nepomuceno play full-back? 

Was Clarke a straight red, as reported by the press, or was it 2 yellows, as witnessed by everyone else?

Will we have any new players? 

Will the game be on, given the weather? 

All to be answered...

However, the officials have been reported to be:

Referee: Boyeson, Carl 
Assistant Referee: Avent, David 
Assistant Referee: Aspinall, Natalie (I think she's the red head female assistant referee). 
Fourth Official: Ilderton, Eddie 

I'm pretty sure Natalie is female but who knows these days.

So...if the game survives the weather then it seems likely that Pete Wild will still be in charge for the Morecambe game.

if we assume that Iacovitti starts at left back, that means Nepomuceno plays further forward and Clarke comes back in for Stott. (Harsh given his performance at MK)

Iversen, Hamer, Edmundson, Clarke, Iacovitti as the back five

Lang, Maouche, Sylla, Missilou, Nepomuceno as the midfield five

As for the front man... any from Vera, O’Grady, Baxter, Benteke - hardly inspiring 

Oh, and then there is the #Brangerhastoplayeverygame conspiracy to consider 🤔 Perhaps he will play instead of Sylla? 

Over to you Pete Wild 😜 

10 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

If AL is insisting we play Branger and Nepo, why has he sanctioned a new left back signing? 

See this from earlier:

’Oh, and then there is the #Brangerhastoplayeverygame conspiracy to consider 🤔 Perhaps he will play instead of Sylla? ‘

Missilou reverts to his defensive midfield role, wingers are Nepomuceno and Branger, and Lang plays free behind whomever 😉

It all just seems like total chaos.  If there's any room in the budget why on earth are we signing left backs when we have 3 players that can fill that position well enough?

I actually think Nepo is performing well at left back, and Branger has his moments on the wing.  But one of the issues with him is that we're so toothless up front opposition defences can easily double up on him and Lang without having to worry about who they'd be leaving open.  Lang has a bit more about him to create space.  But of all the forward players he's the only one that can do this.

Back to this game and the tactics will be interesting.  Wild has been pretty open about his game plan of hanging in the match til 60 mins or so then going for it later on.  He's done this at Fulham, home v FGR, at Doncaster and at MK.  Not sure about Macclesfield.  No wonder the results have started to slip as we're totally one dimensional with our set up.  Can't do that at home to Morecombe.

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

It all just seems like total chaos.  If there's any room in the budget why on earth are we signing left backs when we have 3 players that can fill that position well enough?

I actually think Nepo is performing well at left back, and Branger has his moments on the wing.  But one of the issues with him is that we're so toothless up front opposition defences can easily double up on him and Lang without having to worry about who they'd be leaving open.  Lang has a bit more about him to create space.  But of all the forward players he's the only one that can do this.

Back to this game and the tactics will be interesting.  Wild has been pretty open about his game plan of hanging in the match til 60 mins or so then going for it later on.  He's done this at Fulham, home v FGR, at Doncaster and at MK.  Not sure about Macclesfield.  No wonder the results have started to slip as we're totally one dimensional with our set up.  Can't do that at home to Morecombe.

The tactic of letting the oppostion score before attacking is certainly different.

Edited by BP1960

3 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

The Chris O'Grady who's our joint top scorer and with 3 assists? Ok.

O'Grady had a good run where he looked fit and was firing.  Don't know if he's still carrying a knock or not but has been pretty ineffective since coming back from injury.

I really think the addition of a quality striker would make such a difference to this team, not just for the obvious reason of having a goalscorer, but one with good pace and movement could create much needed space for our other players who are decent on the ball but get crowded out so easily.

3 minutes ago, owdumer said:

According to an article I read from aNottingham newspaper,And also Wikipedia, Lacovetti   is described as a centre half.

Backing you up, according to Trasnfermarkt he's played 16 games at CB (either side), 5 at LB. However no stats for his U23 games. I guess it depends what he's been signed for, but versatility is a strength. It does indicate that  either it is to give Clarke some rest (help with coaching....!) or Stoot or  Edmundson is their way. OR who the frig knows!

57 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

O'Grady had a good run where he looked fit and was firing.  Don't know if he's still carrying a knock or not but has been pretty ineffective since coming back from injury.

I really think the addition of a quality striker would make such a difference to this team, not just for the obvious reason of having a goalscorer, but one with good pace and movement could create much needed space for our other players who are decent on the ball but get crowded out so easily.

I don't disagree. He's not a lone striker - needs someone up there with him, it's been when he's been most effective. 

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

if we assume that Iacovitti starts at left back, that means Nepomuceno plays further forward and Clarke comes back in for Stott. (Harsh given his performance at MK)

I didn't go or watch it - did Stott play well enough to partner Clarke rather than Edmundson? 

How did Edmundson play at MK? He's had a decent season but has been going backwards a touch - maybe a rest is in order? 

Can't see the game being on.  After last night the pitch will be frozen under the covers which can't be removed today as still freezing.  Tomorrow just above freezing so unless they do something to thaw it out it will be frozen when the ref is called in Saturday morning to have a look although with a 'local' team to play they could wait until midday to decide.

29 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I didn't go or watch it - did Stott play well enough to partner Clarke rather than Edmundson? 

How did Edmundson play at MK? He's had a decent season but has been going backwards a touch - maybe a rest is in order? 

The defence was OK at MK it was midfielders who cost us the penalties.