4 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Your point 2 above is spot on. I went to Bury GS in the 70s. Stuck out a bit as a Latics fan because most of my mates, being from Bury, actually supported Bury (not as many glory-hunting Utd/City fans back then) and Bury and Bolton fans hated each other with a passion.

School football matches against the Bolton teams - Bolton School, Canon Slade and Rivington in particular - could get pretty tasty. Always made sure I wore shin pads for those! 

I made my debut for Hulme vs. Bury GS (the things one remembers!) in 1974. Reckon you'd have played? 

13 hours ago, bozman said:

I think so. And it would be applied next season now.... if they still exist.

I was just reading some more stuff on Bolton's situation. Someone claiming to know about the due diligence process says the actual debts are over £20million more than were being suggested.

Looking more like administration for them the longer it drags on.

EFL can increace it to 25 at theyre discretion ala luton & dirtyleeds  a few years ago 

17 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I made my debut for Hulme vs. Bury GS (the things one remembers!) in 1974. Reckon you'd have played? 

Yep, quite possibly! I was at Bury 69-76 and played for the school team most years I reckon. We usually lost to Hulme as I recall, always a good side.

One of our stars was a lad called Joe Carroll, don't know if you remember him? Quite stocky, red hair, very skilful and hard as nails. Latics signed him from our school in 1975 and he played a few times for the first team, later for Halifax and I think eventually went to play MLS in the States. He became something of a local celebrity out there, I think his parents had died and he flew his brothers/sisters out to join him for a new life. Ended up in Australia according to this very old article.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/5922780.coach-carrolls-return-from-oz/

45 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Yep, quite possibly! I was at Bury 69-76 and played for the school team most years I reckon. We usually lost to Hulme as I recall, always a good side.

One of our stars was a lad called Joe Carroll, don't know if you remember him? Quite stocky, red hair, very skilful and hard as nails. Latics signed him from our school in 1975 and he played a few times for the first team, later for Halifax and I think eventually went to play MLS in the States. He became something of a local celebrity out there, I think his parents had died and he flew his brothers/sisters out to join him for a new life. Ended up in Australia according to this very old article.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/5922780.coach-carrolls-return-from-oz/

You'd be three or four years older than me so paths wouldn't have crossed on the football pitch.  There was a lad in my year, Ian Dunn, who I think played a few games for Bury when he was still at school. If memory serves they offered him a contract but he didn't take it and ended up becoming an accountant instead.

Entirely understandable that somebody would turn down Bury FC for the exciting world of accountancy 😂 (I should know, having done accountancy myself - but my excuse is I was bang average at football!).

It makes you think though. Joe Carroll was streets ahead of the rest of us - seemed to have it all. Yet he only played 3 or 4 times for Latics (admittedly we were in Div 2 by then) and 70-odd times for Halifax, who I think were still in the League back then. Shows how tough it was/is to make it at that level, never mind the very top.

I remember another time Terry McDermott came down to our playing pitches at Buckley Wells in Bury - must have been the early 70s, while he was still playing at Bury. Now there was a player - he joined in one of the practice games and we couldn't get the ball off him!