Yeovil (12-2-19)

30 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Yeovil are a physical, cynical, one-dimensional side. We’ve got a battle here to win this. Some naive play from our players when closing down. Hang in there lads!

Thats what I call ‘hanging in there!’ 😉

Edited by TheBigDog

Anyone still fancy the big lump upfront to lump it upto for 90 minutes to little effect?

Thought not. It's amazing this game when you play your best footballers in an uncomplicated way.

Missilou, Edmondson and Nepo were all outstanding with special mentions for Clarke and Branger who frustrates one minute and is sheer brilliant the next, onwards and upwards and we could push a crowd of around 5000 on Saturday now.

First of all... Yeovil, vile shithouse  team of the highest order. 

Secondly... ref a twat. 

Now... Latics, brilliant tonight.  Baxter started slow,  improved and was really great after his goal.  Missile his usual non stop performance.  

But I have to mention Branger and Nepo on the left. Incredible performance, they ripped them apart time and time again.   Branger in a forward position on the left Is a fucking revelation!

ps. Hamer right in front of me, genuinely thought he could have broken his neck. Horrendous. Brave lad. 

Edited by kowenicki

Worst ref we've had this season I think. What an absolute disgrace. Words can't describe that performance from him. Hope he gets home and his missus has packed his bags for bringing the family name into disrepute the shithouse!

Everyone played well tonight, nice to see us bombing forward, noticed scholes telling hunt he should be bombing on early on.

There were numerous times tonight that Branger-getgone and Nepo looked  absolutely terrifying going forward together.

Missile is my hero. Never ever stops and a well deserved goal.

Baxter some touches of old and Maouche although quiet for large parts did his bit and a great strike. 

Hope Hamer is ok. I thought it looked really serious at first. Was worried looked like he landed right on his head and thought he may have damaged his neck.

Great first game for Scholes. Hope we can attack like that every week

Ginger prince

Interesting quote from SkySports

"Despite lengthy treatment Hamer was eventually replaced by Rob Hunt - a signal Scholes was exerting his authority as the defender had previously been banned from playing by owner Abdallah Lemsagam."

I had no idea Hunt had been banned by AL

https://www.skysports.com/football/oldham-vs-yeovil/394003

Thought Branger was outstanding tonight, neat feet and physical as well, his link up play with Nepo was first class, against a horrible side we played the game the right way and the final score was no more than we deserved. It was a pleasure to watch us playing decent football, this is the way forward could be a hang on to your hats point we could kick some ass. Win on Saturday with a decent crowd at BP the momentum will be with us. Also 3.8K for a Tuesday night is not a bad turnout. 

6 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

First of all... Yeovil, vile shothouse team of the highest order. 

Secondly... ref a twat. 

Now... Latics, brilliant tonight.  Baxter started slow,  improved and was really great after his goal.  Missile his usual non stop performance.  

But I have to mention Branger and Nepo on the left. Incredible performance, they ripped them apart time and time again.   Branger in a forward position on the left Is a fucking revelation!

ps. Hamer right in front of me, genuinely thought he could have broken his neck. Horrendous. Brave lad. 

Was right in front of me as well thought he was a certainty to be carried off on a stretcher brave lad to carry on for a few mins hope he’s ok for Saturday but the way he fell could be a whiplash injury 

The quality was on our side and unlike what I witnessed at the start of the season, we made it count. I wish Branger would fuck about a bit less and put in more effort in winning and chasing the ball, but his numerous one-two with Gevaro were pretty on point in the second half.

Baxter was tremendous and deserved his MOTM although I think Lang had a decent shout for it too.

Top performance capped with two quality goals at the end. 

Edited by PlayItLivo

11 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Anyone still fancy the big lump upfront to lump it upto for 90 minutes to little effect?

Thought not. It's amazing this game when you play your best footballers in an uncomplicated way.

Missilou, Edmondson and Nepo were all outstanding with special mentions for Clarke and Branger who frustrates one minute and is sheer brilliant the next, onwards and upwards and we could push a crowd of around 5000 on Saturday now.

No-one on here ever pushed for a big lump up front - you are confusing that with most wanting a proper striker to play through the middle I think. 🤔 

Branger was consistently good tonight - his link up play with Nepomuceno was first class. 

2 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

No-one on here ever pushed for a big lump up front - you are confusing that with most wanting a proper striker to play through the middle I think. 🤔 

Branger was consistently good tonight - his link up play with Nepomuceno was first class. 

Plenty on here have defended our static powder puff forward line all season.

O'Grady did a job he should be doing this season tonight and seeing us out for the last ten minutes, pace and movement is what you need in this division and willing runners, finally we have a forward line that offers a threat, Yeovils defence will certainly know they've been in a game tonight. A million miles away from the bore fest in the reverse fixture at Huish Park where O'Grady and Miller mustered up a shot on target throughout the game.

Yeovil were a disgusting team that was obviously there game plan from the start, kick us, pull us down and the ref let them get away with it, glad we put 4 past them. Good start for Scholes the players played with confidence and looked to attack at every opportunity. Baxter was brilliant first half got stuck in as well chasing back and took his goal really well hopefully Scholes can get the best out of him now. My MOM was Branger - Engone he had it all tonight, strength, skill and pace and worked so hard Yeovil couldn’t deal with him so they resorted to kicking him down, another assist for him looking like he could become a good talent. Edmundson, Missilou and Lang had great games. George is turning into a real talent can see us getting a very decent fee for him. All in all a very convincing 3pts and all quality goals hopefully we can follow it up on Saturday in front of a decent crowd ! 

4 hours ago, mikejh45 said:

There have been several posters on various threads saying Branger has only been picked because the manager has been told to on instructions from the owner.

Now, if Scholes picks him, does this mean:

a) He doesn't know what he's doing?

OR

b) He's already getting interference!

He played well tonight... and played his part at Crawley too. All credit to him.... but he’s been woeful for much of the season IMO and it’s not untrue that Hunt & Dummigan have been banished to train with the youth, with Branger starting by default / on instruction by the owner / not because he merited it. If he keeps this mini form up then he should continue to start.... however I still feel - on showing over a longer period of time - that Nepo further forward with Hunt or Dummigan at full back is a better option.

Edited by lookersstandandy

31 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

First of all... Yeovil, vile shithouse  team of the highest order. 

Secondly... ref a twat. 

This. Branger and nepo was great. Lang worked his back side off and missle was immense. How hammer got up but played on I'll never know. Thought he was going off on a stretch for sure. How they had all 11 on the pitch I'll never know some really late tackles

I’ve been a big critic of Branger recently, but I thought he was superb tonight. Him and Nepo caused them major problems throughout.

Baxter looked back to his old self, hopefully Scholes can bring the best out of him and we can have the old JBB back. 

A special mention to Yeovil who were an absolute disgrace tonight, I hope they go down. Dirty, cheating, cynical bastards. The ref was completely out of his depth as well. 

Apart from their very soft goal, we defended well and never looked in any danger.

We started the game quite slowly, Yeovil’s tactics were to bring us to their level, and for 25 minutes it worked, after that we took over, and whilst still lots of work to be done it was a good performance overall. Missilou and Maouche as a midfield 2 seems to be working, interesting to see how we do against better sides though. Lang ran himself in to the ground tonight, I really enjoy watching him play for us, and for me he’s right up there for player of the season. 

The attendance was about 1000 up on what it probably would have been, interested to see if we can hit the 5k mark on Saturday, Crewe may bring 500 so it is possible. 

6 points off play offs with a game in hand, its very doable in this crap division, but we can’t get carried away after a 4-1 win against a terrible Yeovil side.

1 minute ago, lookersstandandy said:

He played well tonight... and played his part at Crawley too. All credit to him.... but he’s been woeful for much of the season IMO and it’s not untrue that Hunt & Dummigan have been banished to train with the youth, with Branger starting by default / on instruction by the owner / not because he merited it. If he keeps this mini form up then he should continue to start.... however I still feel - on showing over a longer period of time - that Nepo further forward with Hunt or Dummigan at full back is a better option.

I thought Nepo was or close to being mom tonight, he's quick but more importantly his quick feet gets him out of danger. Good performance tonight, seen some cynical teams in my 40 plus years of watching Oldham but they were up there. 

That was no more than Yeovil deserved. They were a disgrace and, with a ref that had some balls (this one was minus a pair), they could have been down to 9 men. 

The foul on Hamer would have been a red any later in the game. No one had a bad game, Missilou, Branger, Nepomuceno, Baxter, Lang were picks of the bunch.

Excellent performance and Yeovil deserve to be in the Conference. Have a miserable journey back to Somerset, you bunch of thugs.

Edited by Bristolatic