Yeovil (12-2-19)

I enjoyed that! Not maybe the style of football from Yeovil but just the result, the Oldham goals, the feeling around the ground.

I thought Iversen did well on crosses, something some fans say he’s not good at, I thought Clarke and Edmundson didn’t give Fisher much space. Missilou again shows how hard he works and covers so much ground. Mouche didn’t seem very influential tonight. 

Baxter took his goal well and always wanted the ball and Dearnley looked lively. Branger although not everybody’s cup of tea showed numerous good pieces of play but can still frustrate but perhaps is gaining confidence the more he plays.

if we can just get positive results against Crewe and Morecambe, then who knows, maybe we can make the play offs?

23 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

No intent. And just because no malice doesn't mean it's careless. Just very unfortunate. Give it a rest. He's just running. He hasn't got studs up or anything

Careless and reckless are both defined in the relevant law of the game. I think it meets both criteria, but that's me. 

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct 

23 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Aren’t the circumstances different between the 2 sports? In rugby one player is catching and the other is looking to tackle them. 

In football, you can have 2 players with eyes on the ball, coming from different angles but both looking to jump and head it. Hard to outlaw what their player did because it might cause a dangerous fall. 

Their player doesn't have eyes on the ball until its too late. He isn't looking to head it, otherwise his feet would be off the ground. Like I said he doesn't use excessive force but he causes a dangerous fall. It's a foul. Clear as day. I don't think the ref should send him off but the reckless criterion is met so should be a yellow card. 

Going under the ball in that situation is potentially more dangerous than going over the ball when it's on the floor. 

Their player takes Hamer's legs out whilst Hamer is a couple of feet in the air. If you don't think that's dangerous please jump up in the air and have someone run into your legs as you jump.*

*Note - please don't as it will waste NHS resources. 

Edited by rudemedic

3 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Careless and reckless are both defined in the relevant law of the game. I think it meets both criteria, but that's me. 

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct 

Their player doesn't have eyes on the ball until its too late. He isn't looking to head it, otherwise his feet would be off the ground. Like I said he doesn't use excessive force but he causes a dangerous fall. It's a foul. Clear as day. I don't think the ref should send him off but the reckless criterion is met so should be a yellow card. 

Going under the ball in that situation is potentially more dangerous than going over the ball when it's on the floor. 

Their player takes Hamer's legs out whilst Hamer is a couple of feet in the air. If you don't think that's dangerous please jump up in the air and have someone run into your legs as you jump.*

Ridiculous 

3 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

The days of me jumping that high are long gone. 

The problem with policing what you’re suggesting is when a player is backing in like that, how do you know what the player behind you is doing? They could be running full pelt then decide not to jump. Or stood still but jump at the last minute.

You'd have to rule out backing in wouldn’t you?

Enjoyed that tonight, Baxter looked half a player again, ive been his biggest critic but i believe Branger has just had his best game ever and his partnership with Nepo was quality...Missilou, i reckon if he was playing in the championship there would be talk of clubs offering a few mil plus, i believe he is that good and improving every week...The next two games this week are massive , we need to go into the Bury game with 4 wins on the bounce behind us..

39 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

We should calm down re the Hamer incident. Pretty clearly a collision and it’s not fair to suggest the Yeovil player had any intent..also pretty unlikely after 8 seconds!

I would have agreed with that and the other similar posts above, at the time. However 3 minutes later he tried to do exactly the same thing with someone else, George possibly.  No intention of jumping and deliberately backing in to the man who does. Thats bloody dangerous and premeditated 

In my opinion. 

32 minutes ago, Handsy said:

No intent by the player just not looking the lad went over and shook Hamers  hand  when he was going off  

Funny how we see the game differently.  I deliberately watched to see if Fisher would acknowledge hamer when he was subbed and thought he went nowhere near him!😀

A great performance. Carried on playing football against provocative and an impotent ref who thought it was all about him. Foul on Hamer should have been a red. Having got away with it he did the same to George but then realised a third attempt might get that useless self important ref to do something. They came for a draw, thought they could kick us off the ball and we stayed true and run out deserved winners. Hope is back. Team set up to win. Maouche did a job in defence then stepped up after Jose went off to score.  Yeeha!!!!

It doesn't half wind me up when tho opposition score at BP and then huddle and cuddle for what seems an age before returning to their own half for us to KO.

However, tonight, we took that to another level and absolutely milked it big time x 4.

It kind of put the referee's totally inept performance overall into perspective really in that on each occasion, he didn't even bother to chivvy us back to our own half.

Having said that, I think I would prefer for him not to ref us again at all this season, or at least until he learns how to use his whistle; but more so his yellow and his red cards correctly.

Great night,great goals and roll on Saturday  for a tough game but winnable.

Glad Paul has got off to a winning start and apart from a couple of scary moments  we played some good stuff and the players showed their passion after scoring.

Thought there was more than the 3800 crowd but should be 5000 next.

Only downside was the tangerine flare set off which spoilt my view and stank for ages.

Got our Bury tickets today which will be sold out if we win the next two games.

12 minutes ago, latics59 said:

Presumably this is a Latics manager best ever debut??

Matched by Moore and LJ:

Sharp - drew 0-0 home to Luton
Warnock - lost 2-1 home to Bradford
Ritchie - lost 3-1 home to Notts Co
Wadsworth - drew 1-1 away at Cambridge
Dowie - lost 2-1 home to Cardiff
Talbot - drew 0-0 away at Col U
Moore - won 3-0 home to Vale
Shez (1) - lost 1-0 away at Tranmere
Penney - drew 0-0 home to Stockport
Dickov - won 2-1 away at Tranmere
Johnson - won 3-0 home to Hartlepool
Kelly - drew 1-1 away at Walsall
Dunn - drew 1-1 away at Donny
Shez (2) - lost 1-0 away at Bradford
Robinson - lost 3-0 away at Millwall
Shez (3) - won 1-0 home to Gillingham
Wellens - won 3-2 home to Peterborough
Bunn - lost 2-1 home to MK Dons

Good to see a mobile forward line, even if the ball does bounce off them more than you'd like, hopefully the West Ham kid can add to that.

Best I've seen Baxter play this season (which isn't saying much) , as the cliche goes it would be like having a new player if he can keep it up.

What was with the 10 man huddle after every goal?

16 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Good to see a mobile forward line, even if the ball does bounce off them more than you'd like, hopefully the West Ham kid can add to that.

Best I've seen Baxter play this season (which isn't saying much) , as the cliche goes it would be like having a new player if he can keep it up.

What was with the 10 man huddle after every goal?

Scholes told them to all celebrate every goal

7 hours ago, nzlatic said:

The days of me jumping that high are long gone. 

The problem with policing what you’re suggesting is when a player is backing in like that, how do you know what the player behind you is doing? They could be running full pelt then decide not to jump. Or stood still but jump at the last minute.

You'd have to rule out backing in wouldn’t you?

It has to be a foul. Their player fouls Hamer. Having watched it back in ‘slow-motion’ I do their player a disservice as he is looking at the ball  for a lot longer than I gave him credit for but he makes no attempt to play it and his feet are on the floor.

It isn’t backing in, its a collision caused by one player going to play the ball and the other one not doing. Not helped by the impact speed. 

Not every aerial collision (or part-aerial collision) is a foul. That one was. 

JBB totally bossed the game, great team performance from all and nice to see a few goals.

Got to keep up the momentum and take maximum points from these next two games which would set us up nicely for Bury.

Do you want me to say it ? ok then, Branger and Nepo played well although unlike some i will resist the temptation to believe they are the new Atkinson and Ryan.

8 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

He played well tonight... and played his part at Crawley too. All credit to him.... but he’s been woeful for much of the season IMO and it’s not untrue that Hunt & Dummigan have been banished to train with the youth, with Branger starting by default / on instruction by the owner / not because he merited it. If he keeps this mini form up then he should continue to start.... however I still feel - on showing over a longer period of time - that Nepo further forward with Hunt or Dummigan at full back is a better option.

I'm struggling to get my head around the Hunt playing with the kids bit...….he came off the bench a couple of weeks ago and looked like he was carrying an injury. Also, if (as we have been hearing) Scholes has been around the camp for at least a couple of weeks prior to his appointment would AL banish Hunt and Dummigan only to let Scholes bring Hunt back first match. If they were with the kids when he started to assist PW, surely he would have insisted on observing a full first team squad. 

Like many things in this crazy world.....it doesn't make sense.

Yeovil were a horrible dirty hoof ball side that had no intent in the game except to stop us. The incident with Hamer though was not intentional.

We looked a totally different set of players tonight, playing with confidence and a higher level of skill than we’ve seen pretty much all season. The Branger/Nepomuceno combination on the left was unstoppable, where has that version of Branger been!!!

Great start and two more home games to go before a really tough test at Gigg Lane, still think we need to win the next two to get ourselves properly in the play off mix.