Mods...

On 2/17/2019 at 6:10 PM, Sparkleking said:

OK, so who is the Belle and Sebastian fan?  One of my favourite bands!

Adored them from about 1997 until about 2004. Much preferred the shambolic DIY charm of those early recordings. As soon as they got Trevor Horn in to produce a record I didn't feel like band a band for me any more. I'll be forever thankful to them for turning my head from turgid post-Britpop shite to a much more enlightening sound though. 

16 minutes ago, Ogdenwoodwhittle said:

Don't forget the weird eastern European kids drama "the singing ringing tree' with the giant fish

Never understood it then and have seen some clips on 'youth tube' and still don't understand it now.

And Skippy 

the double deckers

Daktari

Stingray 

my favourite was Joe 90 at the time

18 minutes ago, Ogdenwoodwhittle said:

Don't forget the weird eastern European kids drama "the singing ringing tree' with the giant fish

Never understood it then and have seen some clips on 'youth tube' and still don't understand it now.

Edited by stevesidg

12 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Adored them from about 1997 until about 2004. Much preferred the shambolic DIY charm of those early recordings. As soon as they got Trevor Horn in to produce a record I didn't feel like band a band for me any more. I'll be forever thankful to them for turning my head from turgid post-Britpop shite to a much more enlightening sound though. 

I agree, the records from those years are the ones I listen to the most.  Shambolic DIY charm sums it up well.  Anyway, back to the football...! 

15 hours ago, stevesidg said:

That black and white dubbed Robinson Crusoe on every day during the summer school holidays in the 70’s was a favourite of mine.

wonder if you can still watch it somewhere?

Not a fantastic quality but watchable.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=15ilo7dZ3MU

12 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

The Jeepster years were the best. You can hear Trevor Horn in tracks like Stay Loose, the vocal reverb is classic Buggles.

1 hour ago, Sparkleking said:

I agree, the records from those years are the ones I listen to the most.  Shambolic DIY charm sums it up well.  Anyway, back to the football...! 

Another day in June, we'll pick eleven for football [pick eleven for football]
We're playing for our lives, the referee gives us fuck-all [the ref was givin' us fuck-all]
I saw you in the corner of my eye on the sidelines,
Your dark mascara bids me to historical deeds...

55 minutes ago, brimmers said:

Not a fantastic quality but watchable.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=15ilo7dZ3MU

Been here before...

Ace of wands. Brilliant and creepy. The Brian Wilde ep still chills me. This was a kids show. No wonder i have vertigo.

Captain Scarlett. Million times better than T-birds.

And from behind the couch without anyone knowing, the Prisoner. Psychadellic excellence. 

Pure stoner grooming.

43 minutes ago, L1onheartNew said:

Been here before...

Ace of wands. Brilliant and creepy. The Brian Wilde ep still chills me. This was a kids show. No wonder i have vertigo.

Captain Scarlett. Million times better than T-birds.

And from behind the couch without anyone knowing, the Prisoner. Psychadellic excellence. 

Pure stoner grooming.

Great memories there,

talking about the prisoner, have you ever visited the village? better still, driven an original mini moke around it? just epic!

7 hours ago, Ogdenwoodwhittle said:

Yes been to the village a couple of times. Always some weird vibe to it though. Stunning views across the bay in good weather.

The difficulty is getting it out of your thoughts you're actually standing on a late 1960's TV series location, you start imagining who walked where and how rover appeared out of nowhere 😁

14 hours ago, Matt said:

Another day in June, we'll pick eleven for football [pick eleven for football]
We're playing for our lives, the referee gives us fuck-all [the ref was givin' us fuck-all]
I saw you in the corner of my eye on the sidelines,
Your dark mascara bids me to historical deeds...

Double upboat for linking Belle and Sebastian to football!

Ffs! If Mrs V gets wind of the Belle & Sebastian love in on here she might sign up and I don’t need her opinions on here too as well as across the dining table. Last time she played B&S I launched the gramophone out of the window. All subjective of course. It’ll be the fucking Go Team next. 

Edited by Dick_Valentine

22 hours ago, Matt said:

The Jeepster years were the best. You can hear Trevor Horn in tracks like Stay Loose, the vocal reverb is classic Buggles.

Yes. It was sort of music for misfits back then. The perfect antedate to the rewarding talent-less shites that Britpop was. 

I was torn with Dear Catastrophe Waitress. Half of it is brilliant. And half of it is absolute bollocks. Stay Loose though. That's a gem.

Was anyone at the Manchester Town Hall gig in Christmas 1997? It was ridiculously bad yet utterly charming at the same time.