Morcombe(sic) (H)

Hope it's ok but I thought I'd jump in and start this one off as no one else has :pray:

Yes, I know......................................It's MORECAMBE but you'd be surprised by the amount of people that can't seem to get it right, usually soft Southerners! 

ask Mr Wise I say :D Wheyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I've been waiting for this fixture all season as I live not 2 miles away from the town that took me in at an early age but one thing always remained and that's my Oldham identity along with my father's side of the family scattered in and around my home town, following Latics has been in the blood from the early 70's although I've always had a soft spot for Morecambe football club, their very loyal, friendly fans and their incredible journey to the Football League.

The present manager Jim Bentley, who was a no nonsense defender and Captain for the club, brings the Shrimps over to Boundary Park Tuesday evening on the back of a very crucial 1-0 'backs to the wall' relegation six pointer away at Port Vale, after we ourselves, ended up with a careless and possibly very costly 1-1 against Crewe who are managed by his former rock solid defensive team mate Dave Artell (Moose).

Under normal circumstances the good folk of Oldham would see this meeting of the two sides as a mere formality but given the state of the pitch, the possiblity of Lang being out injured and Morecambe sniffing blood, knowing full well they have to get something from this game, it most certainly makes for a very interesting 90 minutes.

I'll take my usual seat in the Joe Royle with three other Oldham supporters from this neck of the woods, who decided that because i'm driving over they'd invite themselves along, weigh my car down and burn off my fuel.

My only hope is that we get back on track the first time of asking, win this and head off to Bury with a 'get at em from the start' approach buoyed on by 3000 plus tics and put a dent in their heady ambitions, the Play-offs are still there for us but we'll all know soon enough if we have what it takes to make em? surely Automatic is out of the question?????????

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m thinking 🤔 

If Hamer is okay he will be straight back in for Hunt. Edmundson and Clarke in the centre. Iversen as Keeper obviously 🙄 

If Lang Is not fit then Benteke will start.

Apart from that, Scholes will stick with Nepomuceno and Branger as the left sided pairing, Maouche and Missilou in the middle and Baxter further forward. 

Only other debate for me is whether Dearnley keeps his place and how close Sylla is to starting.

We should be favourites to win this one. And the win would set us up nicely for Bury.

17 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I’m thinking 🤔 

If Hamer is okay he will be straight back in for Hunt. Edmundson and Clarke in the centre. Iversen as Keeper obviously 🙄 

If Lang Is not fit then Benteke will start.

Apart from that, Scholes will stick with Nepomuceno and Branger as the left sided pairing, Maouche and Missilou in the middle and Baxter further forward. 

Only other debate for me is whether Dearnley keeps his place and how close Sylla is to starting.

We should be favourites to win this one. And the win would set us up nicely for Bury.

Hamer is not training yet according to PS he is still very sore. Lang will be assessed tomorrow.

I would go wilth.

Iversen 

Hunt                           Edmundson                                     Clarke                           Stott

Branger                          Maouch                                         Missilou                       Nepo

Baxter                                          O'Grady                                        

Edited by al_bro

1 hour ago, OLDHAMADE said:

Hope it's ok but I thought I'd jump in and start this one off as no one else has :pray:

Yes, I know......................................It's MORECAMBE but you'd be surprised by the amount of people that can't seem to get it right, usually soft Southerners! 

ask Mr Wise I say :D Wheyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I've been waiting for this fixture all season as I live not 2 miles away from the town that took me in at an early age but one thing always remained and that's my Oldham identity along with my father's side of the family scattered in and around my home town, following Latics has been in the blood from the early 70's although I've always had a soft spot for Morecambe football club, their very loyal, friendly fans and their incredible journey to the Football League.

The present manager Jim Bentley, who was a no nonsense defender and Captain for the club, brings the Shrimps over to Boundary Park Tuesday evening on the back of a very crucial 1-0 'backs to the wall' relegation six pointer away at Port Vale, after we ourselves, ended up with a careless and possibly very costly 1-1 against Crewe who are managed by his former rock solid defensive team mate Dave Artell (Moose).

Under normal circumstances the good folk of Oldham would see this meeting of the two sides as a mere formality but given the state of the pitch, the possiblity of Lang being out injured and Morecambe sniffing blood, knowing full well they have to get something from this game, it most certainly makes for a very interesting 90 minutes.

I'll take my usual seat in the Joe Royle with three other Oldham supporters from this neck of the woods, who decided that because i'm driving over they'd invite themselves along, weigh my car down and burn off my fuel.

My only hope is that we get back on track the first time of asking, win this and head off to Bury with a 'get at em from the start' approach buoyed on by 3000 plus tics and put a dent in their heady ambitions, the Play-offs are still there for us but we'll all know soon enough if we have what it takes to make em? surely Automatic is out of the question?????????

I saw Morecambe down at Exeter last month, don't think I've seen a team so blatantly set out for a 0-0 but to their credit they got it with some ease because of how structured and organised they were as a unit.

Teams like Port Vale, Notts County and to a lesser extent Yeovil don't seem to have built their squads for a relegation battle thus being pretty vulnerable when they find themselves in one (although in Yeovil's case they may have just been shit) but Bentley certainly seems to make the absolute most out of a limited squad and they won't be a walk in the park for us tomorrow.  I agree that losing Lang would be a blow as playing against them with pace would be our best chance to break them down, but we'll be the better team and if Baxter is on form we should have enough chances to win.

2 hours ago, al_bro said:

Hamer is not training yet according to PS he is still very sore. Lang will be assessed tomorrow.

I would go wilth.

Iversen 

Hunt                           Edmundson                                     Clarke                           Stott

Branger                          Maouch                                         Missilou                       Nepo

Baxter                                          O'Grady                                        

Dunno, a bit of a gaping hole all the way down the centre and iversen has left his goal open ...

2 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I saw Morecambe down at Exeter last month, don't think I've seen a team so blatantly set out for a 0-0 but to their credit they got it with some ease because of how structured and organised they were as a unit.

Teams like Port Vale, Notts County and to a lesser extent Yeovil don't seem to have built their squads for a relegation battle thus being pretty vulnerable when they find themselves in one (although in Yeovil's case they may have just been shit) but Bentley certainly seems to make the absolute most out of a limited squad and they won't be a walk in the park for us tomorrow.  I agree that losing Lang would be a blow as playing against them with pace would be our best chance to break them down, but we'll be the better team and if Baxter is on form we should have enough chances to win.

Well thought out and an informative post. All this considered  going for 5-0 ! 

Think tomorrow could well be Benteke's chance to shine Scholes said hes been impressed with him in training so the least he should get is an extended cameo from the subs bench. I have no idea if he is the answer but with Surridge gone and La.g struggling with injuries the chance is their for him to prove his worth.

Cant believe Lord Voldermort lookalike Kevin Ellison is still playing for them he must be 62.

Edited by GlossopLatic

38 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Think tomorrow could well be Benteke's chance to shine Scholes said hes been impressed with him in training so the least he should get is an extended cameo from the subs bench. I have no idea if he is the answer but with Surridge gone and La.g struggling with injuries the chance is their for him to prove his worth.

Cant believe Lord Voldermort lookalike Kevin Ellison is still playing for them he must be 62.

He's 40 next Saturday and can still put it about by all accounts, some say his legs have gone but he still keeps producing the goods when it matters.

A model pro that's always looked after himself

5 minutes ago, OLDHAMADE said:

He's 40 next Saturday and can still put it about by all accounts, some say his legs have gone but he still keeps producing the goods when it matters.

A model pro that's always looked after himself

He hangs about the far post where we are so vulnerable on crosses. Hope our coaches are aware of that.

Can’t be letting that lad from Oldham Richie Bennett score another 2 against us like he did for Carlisle in the FA Cup last season.

Looks like Leitch-Smith who is their best player could be out as he hasn’t played in a while and Mandeville who I think is one of their better players has been on the bench lately