Stevenage (H) - Match Thread

5 minutes ago, Fyldelatic said:

We just don't know how to close out games. Shez did.

Missilou trying to be fancy in stoppage time and dispossesed when should have cleared the ball.

Poor use of subs when several tired again and the usual conceded goal from a corner.

Edited by BP1960

2 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Maouche MOM, class act today   Nepo and Baxter great. 

Forward players in general very good.

We deserved 3 points.

To deserve 3 points we need to hold a lead or at least add to it by taking our chances

3 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Vast majority of this lot are a shower of shite. Negative but true. Effing joke to concede at that stage. Over and over they are doing. Fooking naive. Busy summer for scholes to recruit some proper footballers. 

Just out of interest, who was “shite” today?

Just out of interest I'm not talking about today in isolation. That would be silly wouldn't it... When it's almost a foregone conclusion we are going to concede at the death of several matches there are clearly people not taking on board what's being asked of them. After several games of this occurring this would suggest an issue. 

• Like 1

Everyone settle down...forget this season, there has been too much upheaval behind the scenes and we are just not equipped personnel wise to close a win.

We played some really good stuff today and yet again failed to find the killer passes that would have won the game.

3 or 4 players and a decent pitch is all it will take. I hope AL can find the funds and PS can use his contacts.

• Like 3

Does anyone else think we were pretty crap today? That 1st half was terrible. OK we deserved to win, but if that was a good performance on the whole it shows how used to utter garbage we are all used to. We played some decent stuff 2nd half at times, but then go and spoil it all with Missilou pissing about on the touchline, and then very nearly go and lose the game all together. Seasons over, i’m not bothering next week now. I hate this division.

26 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Missilou trying to be fancy in stoppage time and dispossesed when should have cleared the ball.

Poor use of subs when several tired again and the usual conceded goal from a corner.

Nothing to do with subs today in my opinion, I don’t think scholes got much wrong. He set up what I think is propably our best and most positive attcking line up and that team dominated the game. It was all about players not engaging their brains to see a game out. Whether that be clearing a ball down the line rather than messing about trying to do several turns and pass your way out thinking you play for Man City or putting a chance away of which we created plenty in that 2nd half. 

• Like 2

It's occurring  far too often giving silly goals away in the dying minutes  so that all the teams previous  hard word counts for absolutely  nothing.

I'm getting increasingly  nervous when 1-0up and we need to be killing off teams and be more ruthless up front.

It's getting to the point where you are waiting fot the opposition  to score late on as a normality.

We must have dropped/ given away enough points that would have seen us on the verge of a play off spot and now the season is all but over.

Scholes will have learnt a lot in the few games and will be looking at sorting out  the team in the close season ready to push on next season.

Some players must hold themselves at fault for all thsee cock ups

Motm today was Baxter  Imo. 

God ...when will we learn!!!!!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, Hands on said:

5 points from 5 games is er relegation form. Just saying. 

Not in this league it isn't. 

The most recent time a side drawing every game would have gone down is 2013-2014.

5 seasons ago. 

33 minutes ago, super_blue said:

Nothing to do with subs today in my opinion, I don’t think scholes got much wrong. He set up what I think is propably our best and most positive attcking line up and that team dominated the game. It was all about players not engaging their brains to see a game out. Whether that be clearing a ball down the line rather than messing about trying to do several turns and pass your way out thinking you play for Man City or putting a chance away of which we created plenty in that 2nd half. 

He left 2 subs on the bench and put his striker Lang in midfield which was bizzare IMO.

5 minutes ago, rvlatic said:

That was probably the worst game of football I can remember..in a long time 😴🐎

It felt like that shite last game of the season when there's nothing to play for .

Only shite parts of it were Stevenage (who couldn't play) and our inability to score a 2nd or 3rd to kill the game off. We played some good stuff in the 2nd half and really didn't deserve to share the points with a team devoid of talent (except perhaps their no 12).

Is it just me that gets annoyed with the group hug-in every time we score and the pathetic time wasting attempts ? We had Stevenage on the rack for the first twenty minutes of the 2nd half, missed a couple of decent chances and then just dropped deeper and deeper till the inevitable happened. And for goodness sake somebody tell our defenders to "have a dig" when they get anywhere near goal (Hamer, for one, tries too many flicks and little lobs to team mates when a blast at goal or cross would be a lot more effective).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Only shite parts of it were Stevenage (who couldn't play) and our inability to score a 2nd or 3rd to kill the game off. We played some good stuff in the 2nd half and really didn't deserve to share the points with a team devoid of talent (except perhaps their no 12).

Is it just me that gets annoyed with the group hug-in every time we score and the pathetic time wasting attempts ? We had Stevenage on the rack for the first twenty minutes of the 2nd half, missed a couple of decent chances and then just dropped deeper and deeper till the inevitable happened. And for goodness sake somebody tell our defenders to "have a dig" when they get anywhere near goal (Hamer, for one, tries too many flicks and little lobs to team mates when a blast at goal or cross would be a lot more effective).

I didn't see any pathetic time wasting. 

We've only beaten Bury at home above us.

P17 W1 D8 L8   30 = pts in 46 games

Below us is much better

P18 W11 D3 L4    92 =pts in 46 games

That indicates 2 or 3 players could be the difference. And stop conceding in the 90th+ minute obviously.

16 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

He left 2 subs on the bench and put his striker Lang in midfield which was bizzare IMO.

The lack of strength on the bench is the problem we haven't got the players who can come on and make a difference.

On a more general note this season is now petering out quite rapidly. Im not judging Scholes on this period. We should just try and play out the season finish as high up as possible. Then have a go next season with what will be his team.

14 minutes ago, south east latic said:

I think the lack of activity on this thread shows that people have generally accepted that this season is over in terms of play offs. Hoping we just finish strongly and that Scholes has the chance to fully assess the squad before having a pre-season to make the squad his own.

That's the issue, we still had a reasonable chance of getting into the playoffs when Scholes took over. 

Totally changing the way we play on detioriating pitches means that reasonable chance has gone out to a very slim chance. 

If Scholes wants to be a manager at this level he needs to accept that even a few years post retirement he'd still get a game and start learning from his mistakes. 

I saw some of that today as a few weeks ago he'd have brought Sylla on to sit in front of the back 4 but today he wisely didn't.