Stevenage (H) - Match Thread

21 minutes ago, rvlatic said:

The 'sliding door ' moment today was missilou not clearing the ball up the field on the right - instead Stevenage  got a corner and scored - heads had gone then and they could have won it with the free kick which hit the bar..

It feels like they've been told to pass it out, which is fine unless you're in trouble. Also pointless when it results in 10 passes round the back before hoofing it anyway up to a defence who've had a minute to get ready 

Way too early to judge Scholes, but he has a positive to his time in charge in getting a tune out of Jose and negative in the 5 points dropped from 90th minute + goals.

All about enjoying the rest of this season's games as much as possible and getting ready for a big push in the summer.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, leeslover said:

It feels like they've been told to pass it out, which is fine unless you're in trouble. Also pointless when it results in 10 passes round the back before hoofing it anyway up to a defence who've had a minute to get ready 

Agree

Both clarke and scholes let him know what 'should' have happened!

6 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Did I miss anything today?

Thought not with the season being over, hopefully a whole new team for next season barring two or three.

I like hunt, Clarke, edmunson, hamer Hunt. But we can’t even keep a clean sheet in league 2 ! So what do we do ?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Baxter is on a 1 year deal, we need to sign him up ASAP. He may feel a loyalty to us, however money talks and he will ambition, having lost so much of his career !

He's shown his loyalty before. I imagine he'd be even more loyal now. I'd think be one of PS first on the list 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Everyone settle down...forget this season, there has been too much upheaval behind the scenes and we are just not equipped personnel wise to close a win.

We played some really good stuff today and yet again failed to find the killer passes that would have won the game.

3 or 4 players and a decent pitch is all it will take. I hope AL can find the funds and PS can use his contacts.

3 hours ago, disjointed said:

Just how I saw it, which is worrying. 

2 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Only shite parts of it were Stevenage (who couldn't play) and our inability to score a 2nd or 3rd to kill the game off. We played some good stuff in the 2nd half and really didn't deserve to share the points with a team devoid of talent (except perhaps their no 12).

I saw signs today of what Scholes is bringing to the team. So many of the players look more comfortable on the ball and the quality of technical play has definitely improved. I loved the switching of wings by Nepomuceno and Dearnley, I liked the fullbacks pushing forward and both Missilou and Maouche worked hard. Iversen class again. Leaving two up the pitch at corners too.

At the same time though, there is much that is still not right. Lack of positional play leading to players being caught out, too much room given around the box. Poor decision making on occasions. Maybe that will come too.

Baxter was the MotM for me but all of the starting eleven showed up well. The first half performance was cagey and ordinary but the second half was a great improvement. Not too despondent but hoping that we continue to see better as the season comes to a mid table finish 😉

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, latics22 said:

When did he show it before? Not dissing u or Jose? 

Jose could have signed for anyone after he left Everton 1st time, he chose to sign a 2 and a half year contract with us which meant the club benefitted financially when he left for Sheffield United. 

The club has been good for Jose he seems to have his happier footballing and life spells here, it just the rest of us who get tortured by OAFC. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

Baxter is on a 1 year deal, we need to sign him up ASAP. He may feel a loyalty to us, however money talks and he will ambition, having lost so much of his career !

We've been good for Baxter, Baxter has been good for us we. He will sign a 2 year deal this summer. With the right players around him next season and he could be league 2 player of the season next year.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, daniel said:

Does anyone else think we were pretty crap today? That 1st half was terrible. OK we deserved to win, but if that was a good performance on the whole it shows how used to utter garbage we are all used to. We played some decent stuff 2nd half at times, but then go and spoil it all with Missilou pissing about on the touchline, and then very nearly go and lose the game all together. Seasons over, i’m not bothering next week now. I hate this division.

Totally agree, Stevenage was so amateur league today it was frustrating to watch and how low we have fallen, when we couldn’t put the game to bed, I know it’s early but ain’t a new manager meant to to lift a team!!!  Ffs it’s been totally the opposite against such piss poor opposition 🤦🏻‍♂️

Well that was frustrating, we could have been 3 or 4 up before entering thst last minute where we nearly lost it..we played against a pub team who just had a big lump Revell uptop who was there to rough up Clarke and get the odd flick on.. Baxter is now showing glimpses of his old self and Nepo will always be a threat, i think there will be a big clearout in the summer and we will only keep Edmundson, Hamer, Baxter, Nepo and Missilou from this current bunch..Unfortnately Lang wont be back because he will be playing in league one with wigan..Im hoping AL has a secret stash somewhere to get some quality in, i will only judge Scholes next season when he can get his own players in..

I now don’t care if we finish outside relegation on goal difference.  This season is Scholes’ opportunity to assess the squad and then use the summer to really impose himself on recruitment and selection.

Frustrating thing for me is that I went to see Burton v Walsall today - I was given  free tickets and it’s 20 mins from me - and we could beat both of them even with our current squad.  They were shocking, really shocking, and Burton are close to Top 10 in League One.  

I wish we could just fast forward to the summer now, strengthen and aim to get out this league and the hopefully maintain that into the next season.  Scholes is stuck with this dross until May and that’s what frustrate me 

22 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

I now don’t care if we finish outside relegation on goal difference.  This season is Scholes’ opportunity to assess the squad and then use the summer to really impose himself on recruitment and selection.

Frustrating thing for me is that I went to see Burton v Walsall today - I was given  free tickets and it’s 20 mins from me - and we could beat both of them even with our current squad.  They were shocking, really shocking, and Burton are close to Top 10 in League One.  

I wish we could just fast forward to the summer now, strengthen and aim to get out this league and the hopefully maintain that into the next season.  Scholes is stuck with this dross until May and that’s what frustrate me 

It's abundantly clear this squad is not good enough, but for the past quarter of a century most seasons we've wanted to get rid of half the squad as deadwood. 

Trouble is we've always replaced with equal or worse  deadwod. 

My worry is that we'll repeat the cycle,  So few managers get half a dozen signings at once right. 

I can't wait for the end of the season, and let's face it we've cried out for a boring mid table season end for years, but I'm dreading it a bit too!

We deserve a change in fortune. 

We do deserve some decent luck, but as the saying goes you make your own luck. It's the challenge for scholes to put that right this summer. The players are out there and hopefully he can bring them in somehow. The vast majority of this bunch aren't up to the job no matter how we dress up the odd decent performance. Roll on summer.

• Like 1

Guest Stanley30

We’re obviously not as fit as some team and we’re carrying some bang average players. The player turnover is huge so please no more comparisons to last years team as the majority are gone. We’ve become a bang average L2 team, which is what we deserve this season

55 minutes ago, True Tic said:

We do deserve some decent luck, but as the saying goes you make your own luck. It's the challenge for scholes to put that right this summer. The players are out there and hopefully he can bring them in somehow. The vast majority of this bunch aren't up to the job no matter how we dress up the odd decent performance. Roll on summer.

Bang on

1 hour ago, True Tic said:

Who would you keep? 

When you think you can’t get lower, this club takes you there.

Win today we’re literally 5 away.

As I’ve said before. I can’t wait for the day we win promotion. 3 years. 9 years. Scoobys to the Bluebell will be shut down.

One day. 

Love this club 💙

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Who would you keep? 

From the current squad

Edmondson

Hamer

Nepomucenco

Missilou

Clarke

Baxter

Maouche (not on £4k a week more like £1k a week.

Im undecided on Hunt and Branger it depends how much either wants to stay and how happy they are to settle for a place on the bench.

Id love to sign Lang or Iverson for next season but feel that wont happen.

Id like to sign Zak Dearnley up for next season he will develop.

Thats the basis of a half decent squad.

That would therefore require about 10 signings as has been said above we need to improve the hit rate of good/bad signings. We clearly dont have a strong enough bench thats been a big factor in the last few games. We haven't got the squad to rotate or even anyone who can change it up from the bench.

• Thanks 1

Regardless of the players we've got, the state of the pitch or how many games we've got to play in a week, Scholes needs to put a run together at some point this season to give us hope for next season.

It's been a poor start and, at the moment, it's only blind faith that makes us assume he'll get it right eventually..

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

From the current squad

Edmondson

Hamer

Nepomucenco

Missilou

Clarke

Baxter

Maouche (not on £4k a week more like £1k a week.

Im undecided on Hunt and Branger it depends how much either wants to stay and how happy they are to settle for a place on the bench.

Id love to sign Lang or Iverson for next season but feel that wont happen.

Id like to sign Zak Dearnley up for next season he will develop.

Thats the basis of a half decent squad.

That would therefore require about 10 signings as has been said above we need to improve the hit rate of good/bad signings. We clearly dont have a strong enough bench thats been a big factor in the last few games. We haven't got the squad to rotate or even anyone who can change it up from the bench.

Agree with all that. I think Hunt will go though, and I don’t think it would be a massive loss, he’s steady at the back but bang average going forward. Is Branger out of contract? I’d keep him as a squad player only. 

I would think plenty of league one clubs would be looking at Iverson and Lang which is a shame. Maybe even Lang could be a squad player at Wigan in the championship and for sure if they go down.