Can we please, after what now seems like many seasons of it, put to bed the ludicrous notion that....

....knocking the ball around, in areas the opposition are happy for us to, with very little intent, creating little, in the bottom two leagues of English football can be described as "playing well".

Absolute rubbish that today, I was bored to tears again and people are saying we "played well".

• Like 6

Totally agree bosch that was utter shite today, seen better football at my lads game this morning on Clayton playing fields who beat middy reds under 14 who are top of the league!! Go on chaddypark griffins 

Edited by oafc21

First time I've seen us under Scholes. Miles better than under Bunn - we had numerous chances and should have been out of sight before they equalised. Think they had one chance in the first half from open play and one free kick, and similar in the second. Unlucky not to have come away with three points, but plenty to be encouraged about.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

Absolute rubbish that today, I was bored to tears again and people are saying we "played well".

1 hour ago, oafc21 said:

Totally agree bosch that was utter shite today, 

It’s all about opinions I know but to call today’s performance ‘Absolute rubbish’ and ‘utter shite’ is somewhat baffling. 🤔

As with oafcmetty, I found plenty to be encouraged about from today.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

It’s all about opinions I know but to call today’s performance ‘Absolute rubbish’ and ‘utter shite’ is somewhat baffling. 🤔

As with oafcmetty, I found plenty to be encouraged about from today.  

As you say bigdog it’s all about opinions, but seriously what did you see to be totally encouraged about drawing against a pub team outfit today!!

9 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

First time I've seen us under Scholes. Miles better than under Bunn - we had numerous chances and should have been out of sight before they equalised. Think they had one chance in the first half from open play and one free kick, and similar in the second. Unlucky not to have come away with three points, but plenty to be encouraged about.

It's the same old, same old though isn't it really, plenty of powder puff players who are generally inconsistent and an eleven who very rarely put a professional 90 minute performance in and before anyone drags up Fulham you can look at it two ways we either smash and grabbed there after getting battered or this group set themselves a bench mark they don't seem content to try and reach again this season.

7 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Without the injury time goals conceded under scholes we’d be 2 points off the play offs. So although results havent been as we as we would have wanted we’re not exactly miles off.

I get what your saying, but those 90+ min goals have happened, and it now means we are miles off in terms of where we should be in this division. 

You won’t see me give Scholes any grief at all this season, but he’s got a hell of a job on in the summer to totally revamp this squad of bottlejobs.

10 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Without the injury time goals conceded under scholes we’d be 2 points off the play offs. So although results havent been as we as we would have wanted we’re not exactly miles off.

It feels like we're miles off.

You could say we've been unlucky, I guess, because we've conceded late, but in reality the late goals had been coming.  I see Stevenage hit the woodwork twice yesterday.  Some might say we were even lucky to get a point...

• Like 2

I’m not saying there isn’t work to be done, there clearly is. And I’m not saying we were unlucky either as all the injury time goals were coming. 

But Stevenage hit the bar from open play with pretty much the only decent shot they had. Their game plan was to win free kicks and corners as they had a player who was really good at delivering (the other time they hit the bar) and a couple of lumps to aim at. 

The football Harry is talking about is pretty standard in the modern game. Especially when you’re playing a team that wants to sit back and invite it. The way to unlock it is to keep possession and work an opening. Something we couldn’t do effectively yesterday. We need to add quality to the squad and to spend more time on the training pitch to do that effectively and consistently. So we realistically have to be looking at next season for the proper promotion push. 

If it all comes together quickly and we get a run of wins this season then even better - we either sneak in or get great momentum for next year. But it’s all about investment over the summer for me. I’m not going to get too worked up about results from now til the end of the season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daniel said:

I get what your saying, but those 90+ min goals have happened, and it now means we are miles off in terms of where we should be in this division. 

You won’t see me give Scholes any grief at all this season, but he’s got a hell of a job on in the summer to totally revamp this squad of bottlejobs.

Why should we be any higher though? Were many looking at that squad at the start of the season with a rookie boss and thinking “this is our year”? Add to that 2 changes of manager and our season loan top scorer getting recalled. 

Unless the owner invests and we have a settled club for a period we aren’t going to do much, even in this league. 

45 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I’m not saying there isn’t work to be done, there clearly is. And I’m not saying we were unlucky either as all the injury time goals were coming. 

But Stevenage hit the bar from open play with pretty much the only decent shot they had. Their game plan was to win free kicks and corners as they had a player who was really good at delivering (the other time they hit the bar) and a couple of lumps to aim at. 

The football Harry is talking about is pretty standard in the modern game. Especially when you’re playing a team that wants to sit back and invite it. The way to unlock it is to keep possession and work an opening. Something we couldn’t do effectively yesterday. We need to add quality to the squad and to spend more time on the training pitch to do that effectively and consistently. So we realistically have to be looking at next season for the proper promotion push. 

If it all comes together quickly and we get a run of wins this season then even better - we either sneak in or get great momentum for next year. But it’s all about investment over the summer for me. I’m not going to get too worked up about results from now til the end of the season. 

Fair enough, but I want to see something this season that will create optimism for next season.

We've been playing this possession football for years yet what has it got us?  Countless 0-1 home defeats.  Sod the pretty football.  I want results and promotion.  If it's inviting teams on to us and then nicking it on the break, so be it.  Worry about attractive, possession football when we're in the Championship.

• Like 1

What a load of nonsense. We did play well, particularly in the second half. 

But for some brain fart defending in a few games recently we would be on the verge of the play offs. 

I’d rather try and keep the ball and find openings than hoof and have to win it back thanks. 

• Like 2

I'm struggling to see how yesterday's performance can be described as playing well. It felt like a pre season friendly, little energy and passing it around without really getting anywhere. Stevenage were awful but nearly won it in the end, and I fail to see how' if we didn't keep letting in late goals we'd be a bit nearer to seventh place' can be practically seen as we're having a good season.

It's been yet another disapointing campaign. We're 17 points off the top three and the same above the bottom 2. Bang average in a god awful division.

50 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Fair enough, but I want to see something this season that will create optimism for next season.

We've been playing this possession football for years yet what has it got us?  Countless 0-1 home defeats.  Sod the pretty football.  I want results and promotion.  If it's inviting teams on to us and then nicking it on the break, so be it.  Worry about attractive, possession football when we're in the Championship.

A team doesn't just get into the Championship and suddenly start playing attractive, winning football. It has to be bred into the squad, the squad maintained and possibly added to, then, if promotion is achieved by playing attractive football, it carries on in the league above. I would rather have quality and momentum than hoof-ball. Scholes will need to work hard during the closed season, no doubt about that.

1 hour ago, singe said:

.. Appointing a high profile name as manager does not add thousands to the gate. 

Witness the gate yesterday. 

Only a winning team will put bums on seats,  look at Stockport,  2 divisions below us but over 6000 yesterday! !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

Why should we be any higher though? Were many looking at that squad at the start of the season with a rookie boss and thinking “this is our year”? Add to that 2 changes of manager and our season loan top scorer getting recalled. 

Unless the owner invests and we have a settled club for a period we aren’t going to do much, even in this league. 

We are where we are because we deserve to be, this is the worst team i’ve ever seen in my 15 years following us, but some of the shite in this league is 100 times worse than what we are. Not through us being good, but due to the standard of this division, we should 100% be higher in the league. 

7 minutes ago, losesome said:

Only a winning team will put bums on seats,  look at Stockport,  2 divisions below us but over 6000 yesterday! !

Thats true. Winning is what it's about. Not just the taking part, then at the end a pat on the back and a "we should've won that, we were all over em " etc.etc. 

1 hour ago, Ritchierich said:

I’ve said it before but the harsh reality is that we have taken less than one season to go from being a bang average league one side to a bang average league two side

Self evidently we weren't a bang average League One side last season. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Wardie said:

A team doesn't just get into the Championship and suddenly start playing attractive, winning football. It has to be bred into the squad, the squad maintained and possibly added to, then, if promotion is achieved by playing attractive football, it carries on in the league above. I would rather have quality and momentum than hoof-ball. Scholes will need to work hard during the closed season, no doubt about that.

I was being flippant about the Championship. 

We need to do whatever it takes to get out of this division and to do that we need to learn to win ugly. Results first. Style of play second.